Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Mothers Back-to-Black

Old 04-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Mothers Back-to-Black

I found a bottle of this stuff in the garage and I decided to use it on all of the hard plastic found on the truck. I have to say, this stuff is AMAZING!

I did the handlebars, running boards, my WeatherTech digital-fit floor mats, and the trim around the bed of the truck. Everything looks glossy and new, granted it is a bit slippery.. No, it doesn't make my feet slip off the pedals or anything so it's great in my opinion. More pictures to come.

Link to the product: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06108.html
I spent several hours just detailing the trim with a paint brush and this product to make everything look nice.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
waggoner.42 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
waggoner.42's Tacoma Gallery
Been using that stuff for years, it is pretty sweet! Just did my UnderCover bed cover the other day with it.
JW
Old 04-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome Derek. Too bad it's going to rain tomorrow!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Looks really nice. I need to get on it and give my truck a good vaccuming. It's unbelievable how much stuff gets tracked in there
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Damn those storms! At least the interior is good lol.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
nice grillgaurd
Old 05-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
PatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of lightPatrickJW is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Patrick
PatrickJW's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tip Derek. I pretty much use Mcguiers products but I'm going to try Mothers back to black after I wash, clay, & wax my BSP 2010 TRD SR5. Basicly washing off winter in Maine.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJW View Post
Thanks for the tip Derek. I pretty much use Mcguiers products but I'm going to try Mothers back to black after I wash, clay, & wax my BSP 2010 TRD SR5. Basicly washing off winter in Maine.
I have to say this, if it rains when you have just put on the back to black liquid, it will run down onto your paint and make it look nasty. Of course you'd just have to rinse it off, but after you use the product for the first time, you're going to have to keep using it after each wash to get the same look. I learned all of this after the fact it rained and I saw what it looks like when it washes off.

I used a paint brush and a cup filled with the stuff to apply it, granted it took 30 minutes,(now that I'm fast at it) but it looked nice after!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
When the back to black gets wet and runs, does it only happen if you dont give it enough time to dry or does it happen anytime it gets wet?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #11
KDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKDogg311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: K H I E M ™
KDogg311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
I found a bottle of this stuff in the garage and I decided to use it on all of the hard plastic found on the truck. I have to say, this stuff is AMAZING!
x2 ... made my 2007 tacoma look brand spanking new. Great product and easy to use/apply.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
anyone have info on when this streaks?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #13
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
anyone have info on when this streaks?
Sorry for the late reply, it streaks whenever it looks glossy and water hits it. I'm somewhat sure it's an oil based product, so it should stay on there for quite a while until it gets hit with water and runs down the side of the truck.

I only had it on for four days before it rained and I didn't see any sign of drying, it looked just as glossy and wet as when I put it on right away.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
no worries on the late reply thanks for the info, I was hoping to find something that wont streak when wet. Meguires has their new product "ultimate black" that is not supposed to streak. I am going to put mothers on one side and meguires on the other, and split the bed cover in half and see which one holds up better. I also ordered the 303 sealant so i am hoping maybe that helps seal some of it in. Wishful thinking I know.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #15
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Truck looks great! You mentioned you used Mothers Back to Black on your step bars & it didn't make them slippery?
What did you use on your tires? I'm thinking about Mothers Tire Shine.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #16
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasr1950 View Post
Truck looks great! You mentioned you used Mothers Back to Black on your step bars & it didn't make them slippery?
What did you use on your tires? I'm thinking about Mothers Tire Shine.
I use this for doing the tires, I use a paper towel to make sure the foam gets everywhere (not the tread of course) instead of just spraying and leaving it alone.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/megui...hannelid=PGRAB
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
PCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant futurePCDT99 has a brilliant future
Name: Russ
PCDT99's Tacoma Gallery
Damn turned out very nice, ill need to try that stuff out!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #18
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Back to Black on the exterior rubber/plastic trim on my 07 since new. I've found it best to apply it when you have a week or two of sunny hot weather ahead... get's a chance to soak in and dry and won't run off after it rains.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

I put Mothers Back to Black on my bed rails, step bar pads, bumper all exterior black trim. I really like the way it makes the trim go back to black. It's very easy to apply, i buffed it after it dried. Now i'll see how long it stays black. It doesn't make the surface slippery or shinny just a dark black. Best product i've found. I used the Back to Black Tire Shine on my tires. Tires don't shine as much as other tire shines do but does shine some. It looks like it make the tires look more natural. I've used Eagle 1 Tire Gel, it shines & you can see that it stays on the surface of the tire more than the BTB. I used the Eagle 1 applicator (new one) to apply the BTB. It went on easier than the Eagle 1