Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Polishing machine

Old 09-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Polishing machine

Ok, I remembered yesterday that I had a polishing machine in my tool stand, i havent used it yet...

Its a 6" Black and Decker Random Orbital Polisher, it goes at about 4000+- RPM.... any of you had experience with one of this???

i want to detail my truck before the fall winds and dust come, and i plan on doing the whole thing, clay bar, polish, and at least 2 coats of wax..... so i figured the machine would ease the polishing waxing a bit.... although the pads that came with the machine are not to good, seems like they are poliester or nylon....
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Yup I have a B&D polisher, think it's an 8 inch pad though. Works well. Biggest hassle is unlike a towel, you can't pick a new unused spot on it when it gets clogged with not-quite-dry-yet wax, so you really have to wait the entire time the wax bottle says to before you can buff it out. Be careful around any stickers too, it'll peel them right off, and don't push hard enough to get the pad warm...leaves nasty swirls.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cool good to know... what kind of pads are you using?? the ones that came with the polisher are not good quality i think, and they came off very easy....
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
They sure do. I tied a piece of clothesline rope to the little string in the pad and pulled it through, now I have to try pretty hard to make it come off. I'm still using the pads that came with it. Been known to fold up a microfiber towel and put it under it for that final going-over.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
mitiko is on a distinguished road
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
use only with 1000 rpm if not you can have swar marks
Old 10-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #6
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
just use it to apply... and hand remove it with a MF towel. applying the wax, you dont need speed since its not abrasive, i wouldnt go over 3k rpm... you just want the machine to spread it evenly for you.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #7

i dont think the machine has variable speed.....and in i just saw its measured in Orbits per minute, its orbital.... so i dont know how that really would work...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm. can you find the same item you have online nad provide a link?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #9

Yea! I think is this exact item

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=5469
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #10
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah it doesnt really say.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #11

yeah, and the box says the same or less, lmao.... im screwed i guess i'll do it all by hand damn it....
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #12

Or you could just do it correctly, apply the wax by hand, use the buffer carefully to remove it...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #13

^^^cool, yea that would work, thanks all for the inputs!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
theres no advantage to using a buffer to remove wax instead of by hand. you run the risk of burning the paint that way.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
I will recommend dewalt polish machine .
Old 10-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
that is what I talk about

Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM   #17

thanks man, im gonna take a look at those on the home depot....
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
they don't sell on home depot look by ebay is more easy to find
Old 10-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
http://www.autogeek.net/dw849.html

expensive,

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...uct/search.asp

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...?categoryID=94
Old 10-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #20
mitiko's Tacoma Gallery
so what polish machinne did you buy.