Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

detailing a black sand pearl truck

Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Very, very nice.
I'm wasn't saying it can't be done. I have just seen alot of good looking black vehicles screwed up with a buffer.
Understood. Kind of hard to mess it up with a PC unless you drop it on the truck. LOL
Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #22
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very, very nice.
I'm wasn't saying it can't be done. I have just seen alot of good looking black vehicles screwed up with a buffer.
Random orbital buffers are pretty idiot proof. They don't generate the heat like a regular buffer can.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Little Mule is on a distinguished road
Little Mule's Tacoma Gallery

After a wash with Meguiar's gold class, and Meguiar's clay kit.

I'll wax next month.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
Get a porter cable 7424xp and some good v38 and 36 from chemical guys and let it work it's magic... This is what i use and it works great for deeper scratches M105 works great.. Then you get results like my black sand pearl... and my wifes highlander looks like this
Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #25
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and use a good paint sealant then top with your favorite wax... I like Wolfgang products, and or the nano brand sealants both work great. There are lots of good products out there use what works best on your paint.. And what you can afford cause it gets pricy LOL
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Polishing a car with a rotary is harder to do and you can mess it up pretty bad but when it's done properly it looks awesome.

I took a clay bar to the truck when I first bought it. After that I used a Makita Rotary Polisher with the 3M 3 Stage system to get out as many of the scratches, swirls and other shit off the truck when I first bought it.

I bought some "cheapish" wax from Malco called cherry flash. http://www.malcoautomotive.com/VOC_C...h-details.aspx

It worked fairly well but it didn't last as long as I would like. So I went out and bought the black car wax kit from Chemical Guys. http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Ca...p/hol_201.html I just waxed my truck again and it looks pretty good. Just need to see how long it lasts now.
You can actually see the spot I couldn't reach in the middle of the hood

Nice and Shiny
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #27
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
reminds me I need to do a good detailing on mine
Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.
LukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLukeBo4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: luke
LukeBo4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I detail my with mud and a side of water
Old 07-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #29
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
Polishing a car with a rotary is harder to do and you can mess it up pretty bad but when it's done properly it looks awesome.

I took a clay bar to the truck when I first bought it. After that I used a Makita Rotary Polisher with the 3M 3 Stage system to get out as many of the scratches, swirls and other shit off the truck when I first bought it.

I bought some "cheapish" wax from Malco called cherry flash. http://www.malcoautomotive.com/VOC_C...h-details.aspx

It worked fairly well but it didn't last as long as I would like. So I went out and bought the black car wax kit from Chemical Guys. http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Ca...p/hol_201.html I just waxed my truck again and it looks pretty good. Just need to see how long it lasts now.
You can actually see the spot I couldn't reach in the middle of the hood

Nice and Shiny
A small sturdy stool really helps to reach the hard to get to spots when detailing a truck or van.

I have two of these.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:46 PM   #30
Chandler L. is on a distinguished road

Chandler L.'s Tacoma Gallery
Had a body shop do a 6 stage buff after they fixed some dents looks like a damn mirror!

This is where they fixed a dent so it is new paint but still :
Old 01-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #31
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
I wish it wasn't so sandy in my area. I have swirl scratches all over due to sand blowing daily while washing the truck as well
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #32
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler L. View Post
Had a body shop do a 6 stage buff after they fixed some dents looks like a damn mirror!

This is where they fixed a dent so it is new paint but still :
6 six stage? Does that include wet sanding?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #33
jernigan78 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
jernigan78's Tacoma Gallery
paint detail

Heres my routine:

Dawn wash

Pinnacle clay bar with Sprax wax

Buff out swirls with Griots Garage buffer (very good power - lifetime warranty) and Megs 205

buff again with polish (very fine sponge pad)

Wipe again with Eraser (cleanes off wax)

Seal with Ultima Paint Sealant (let dry)

Apply P21s by hand for extra shine.

works like a charm. The buffer is really easy to use, and is almost idiot proof. I used to buff cars at the body shop with a pnuematic buffer, and its really easy to mess up. You have to be really careful with a conventional buffer.