Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

detailing a black sand pearl truck

Old 04-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
articcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant futurearticcs22 has a brilliant future

Name: chris
articcs22's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to articcs22
detailing a black sand pearl truck

couple questions

everyone with a black sand pearl truck what do you guys use to detail the exterior, what type of wax? clay bar? Polish?

I have black pro comp wheels what product may i use to clean them?

Anybody have any suggestions on a good orbital buffer?

Im just bored and feel like cleaning it up nice..taking out some light scratches and putting a shine on it
Old 04-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
The information's out there Holmes. Go to autogeek and they can supply you with everything you need.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Step away from the buffer.

In my opinion there is only one way to do black and that is by hand. Everytime I see a black vehicle that someone has gone at with a buffer it looks like swirl mark city.

It sucks, it's work but in the end it's worth it if you don't want your truck looking like you scrubbed it with a scotch brite pad.

As far as wax I like Rain Dance paste.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
if your bored, my BSP truck is dirty as always. I'll pay.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have a black truck but i highly recommend a clay bar to start
Old 04-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
What I did to mine a couple weeks ago.

Wash with Dawn dish soap
Mothers Clay Bar
Wash with Dawn
Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Liquid wax
Hand buff the hell out of it
Mother's Back to Black on all the bare plastic
Meguiars Tire Shine
Had some leftover Mother's Step 2 Sealer/Glaze I used on my wheels

Turned my BSP into a mirror. That was 2 weeks ago. Came out yesterday morning, two turkey's were struttin up peckin at my tailpipe all morning cause they could see themselves so well in the paint they thought it was another set of turkeys.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hand polishing is a waste of time compared to a professional job done with rotary and/or dual action. By professional, I do not mean only someone who's paid to do it as 99% of "pros" do a crap job. I mean someone who truly knows how to level clear coat and finish it down hologram-free.

If you're new to detailing and paint correction I suggest using a Meguiar's G110 random orbiter along with some medium to light cut polishes. If you screw up your paint using a g110 you have really done something retarded and close to impossible. Learning how to finish down a professional grade product really nicely is probably the hardest part for most. They will spend 10 hours on their paint and see defects and give up. It takes a lot of time learning how to clean up paint properly, but it can be learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post

In my opinion there is only one way to do black and that is by hand. Everytime I see a black vehicle that someone has gone at with a buffer it looks like swirl mark city.

It sucks, it's work but in the end it's worth it if you don't want your truck looking like you scrubbed it with a scotch brite pad.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Then someone doesn't know what they are doing. To get all of the fine scratches and the sort a buffer is the only thing that will do the job properly-especially on a black vehicle. I have seen some go to the extreme and wet sand the clear and polish.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
porter cable
Old 05-02-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

an orbital buffer wont leave swirl marks since the pad is slowly spinning/vibrating. something like a dewalt buffer can leave swirl marks. just saying. the best orbital buffer is the porter cable
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
dont waste ur money on 4 polishes that all provide a different step. find a local detailing supplier in ur area and buy from them or else ur going to find urself buying a bunch of crap. all you need is a clay bar, an all around polish, and wax. ill give you a website. http://www.3dproducts.com/34/ go here, the proxy is your wax and the uno is the polish. the prices are eh a bit pricey but in the long run its worth it.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
You're looking at 10 years of "Klasse" sealant glaze and always by hand

this photo is at 7 years

and this is the stuff. You can only find it at Porsche, Caddilac, Jaguar dealers or performance shops or online
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
*glaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
You're looking at 10 years of "Klasse" sealant glaze and always by hand

this photo is at 7 years

and this is the stuff. You can only find it at Porsche, Caddilac, Jaguar dealers or performance shops or online
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #16
💥💥💥💥💥💥
johnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnnym is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: john
johnnym's Tacoma Gallery
i have a porter cable if you want to borrow it im in stoughton
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #17
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Are all you guys pretty much using mothers back to black on the plastic around the wheels?
Old 05-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #18
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not really.

Pic from my Tacoma detailed with a Porter Cable.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
Are all you guys pretty much using mothers back to black on the plastic around the wheels?
I only use BTB on the trim, the front valance and mudflaps. I use Mothers Protectant (the spray) on the tires. Lasts a couple months which isn't bad.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #20
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
Not really.

Pic from my Tacoma detailed with a Porter Cable.

Very, very nice.
I'm wasn't saying it can't be done. I have just seen alot of good looking black vehicles screwed up with a buffer.