Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

SOL or Buy a buffer

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
SOL or Buy a buffer

So did a little off roading yesterday and have a lot of scratches from trees and brush. Most of them are on the clear coat but I can't seem to get them off. I've tried using Meguiars Scratch X 2.0, Polish, Wax and one of those little buffers you put on a drill. It helped but there still there. If I get a actual Buffer/Polisher will that work a lot better or am I just SOL? Hope not since my truck is only 3 months old!
Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
DCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
DCW's Tacoma Gallery
You should use a high speed buffer but you need to be careful and not burn the paint. Check the detailing threads they will give you some more info on how to take the scratches out and what products to use. The orbiter buffer can't provide you with enough speed to polish out the scratches.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Are you going wheeling again?

Scratch removal removes paint. If you do it too often, you'll go through your paint.

Personally, I polish out my superficial scratches, and leave the deeper ones.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
You should use a high speed buffer but you need to be careful and not burn the paint. Check the detailing threads they will give you some more info on how to take the scratches out and what products to use. The orbiter buffer can't provide you with enough speed to polish out the scratches.
this! be careful!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Are you going wheeling again?

Scratch removal removes paint. If you do it too often, you'll go through your paint.

Personally, I polish out my superficial scratches, and leave the deeper ones.
Agreed. I received quite a few pinstripes on my truck and have seen the same on many others. I usually tell people 'I can make this look 80% better'.

Shoot for that...otherwise, you take too much paint off. For most people, its not the last time they'll scratch it up and it will need to be polished again.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind, Toyota's don't have much clear on them. As a rule of thumb, you can run your finger nail over the scratch. If your nail grabs the scratch, it's likely too deep to polish out. If your nail just goes over the scratch, you can probably polish it out.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
Keep in mind, Toyota's don't have much clear on them. As a rule of thumb, you can run your finger nail over the scratch. If your nail grabs the scratch, it's likely too deep to polish out. If your nail just goes over the scratch, you can probably polish it out.
No vehicles have much clear on them anymore!

Good advice on the fingernail trick.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
I personally would not recommend using a rotary buffer because it takes just seconds to burn paint. I have seen it personally and our trucks do not have alot of clear coat to begin with. Find a good random orbital and use that. It will take longer, but its cheaper than a trip to the paint shop.