Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

painting chrome bumper?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
dholland is on a distinguished road
dholland's Tacoma Gallery
painting chrome bumper?

so i've painted chrome plated plastic parts before and all thats left is my ugly chrome bumper. Has anyone successfully painted their chrome bumper or any other chrome on metal appendature of their truck? Im worried the paint wont bond to the chrome even with excessive sanding...
Old 10-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree that the paint won't bond very well, why don't you look into getting in covered in Line-X or a bed liner product? I know Line-X is sprayed at over 200 degrees and will bond to whatever you spray it on plus it is much tougher for something like a bumper.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
dholland is on a distinguished road
dholland's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like an idea. Does line x come in any other finish than the textured black like you'd see in a bedliner? idealy i'd like to have it match the black sand pearl finish of the truck...
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Hey dholland i painted my back bumper black looks real good too with duplicolor bedliner check my pics out. And by the way you should show up to the san diego meet this saturday the 11th check out other member rides and enjoy the bbq. 1pm fiesta island
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #5
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Hey dholland i painted my back bumper black looks real good too with duplicolor bedliner check my pics out. And by the way you should show up to the san diego meet this saturday the 11th check out other member rides and enjoy the bbq. 1pm fiesta island

Click here!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...-bbq-meet.html
Old 10-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Hot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shedHot Tamale is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pat
Hot Tamale's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Just checked your pics out. You have one fine looking truck!
Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
Line-Xd mine for $90, but it was the black. Line-X Extra would be the colors which would be more $$. Same warranty, unless the chrome comes off with the Line-X attached. So if it's just the Line-X chipping, they re-do it. I've had mine for about a month through rain and heat. No problems yet and looks great.