Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Does anyone have any tips on using touch up paint

Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Navy: ABH
Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have any tips on using touch up paint

I have a few chip's and scraches I've tried using touch up paint on my older truck's and it just look's bad anybody got any advise on how to do it correctly with out making it look obvious that it has been touched up?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
what you wanna do is put a little touch up paint on, then let it dry. then, do this a few different times and let it dry good with each coat till its even with the other paint. then, once the last coat is dry, polish and wax the area. should look really good then.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
i actually just did some touch up on my truck. i went to the dealer and got some, it comes in a pen form also so makes the touch up easier. test the paint first on a part on the inside of the door and go along the scratch with the paint pen or use the brush if its a chip. wait a day and do another layer till the paint rises above the scratch. then wait bout a week and get some scratch remover (i used quixx) and follow the directions. this will blend the old paint with the new paint together better and wont be as noticeable. im gonna put some quixx on tonight and will try to get some pics up
Old 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Bart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to beholdBart is a splendid one to behold

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
I will try that I guess the problem I had was to much paint at one time those brushes and pen's put alot out at once.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're like me ..... you don't have the time or energy (or urge) to do a fully professional repair - but you want it to look decent...
Get this stuff:
http://www.langka.com

I've been using it on all our vehicles and it's really cool and I really like it.

You gotta buy touch-up paint for your vehicle - the pen/small brush version (not spray). The Langka allows you to plop the paint on, allow it to dry, and you can rub off the excess paint thus only leaving the paint in the chip. It takes a bit of practice but it's soooo much better than ploppin paint on and leaving blobs there.

The one thing I have learned is....the metallic colors (speedway blue) are harder to make it look invisible versus a straight color. But again, it's better than having blobs of paint and/or exposed metal.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
what you wanna do is put a little touch up paint on, then let it dry. then, do this a few different times and let it dry good with each coat till its even with the other paint. then, once the last coat is dry, polish and wax the area. should look really good then.
Tacomaman is right about this. It's difficult to get it right, but if you take your time, and layer some paint on the chip, eventually, you'll get it up to the point where it's even, or above the level of the surrounding paint. Once you get it to that point, polish with scratch-x or something along those lines to remove the excess paint, and it will blend right in. I did a bunch of chips on my Mag Gray '09 last night, and a few of them are to the point where you can't even tell. Others, not so good, so I need to go back and layer more paint on them and polish again.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #7

Bart's Tacoma Gallery
Will do havn't go around to it yet.