1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to repair paint chips?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by HuntnTruk, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk [OP] Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    I have a few paint chips on the hood of my new truck and other various spots. I assume I can just use a touch up pen. But one spot it is worn down to bare metal. This was from my CB antenna when it was folded down. How would I go about repairing the damage? Do I have reprime?

Thanks

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  3. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk [OP] Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    That looks like a good system, but the chips on my hood are down to the primer so I need something to match the paint color.

4. Jul 5, 2011 at 6:47 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    It looks like you use that system to fill underneath the chip then apply touch up paint on top of it.

5. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk [OP] Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    Gotcha. Maybe I will get that then.

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've got the same thing and am curious so if you end up getting it, let us know how it works! I'll do the same if I get ambitious in the near future...

7. Jul 7, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    You can just throw touch up paint on top of a chip, whether it's down to primer, or bare metal. But if there's rust on the chip, do your best to sand the rust off first, then touch-up. If you don't, the rust will eventually come back.

8. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    2girlsdad

2girlsdad Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 TRD Off Road Sport
    Not quite, if there's rust, sanding won't get it all. Rust is a chemical reaction. You have to neutralize it. Get naval jelly (rust jelly) from auto-zone or a paint supply distributor. Sand most of it off, apply jelly for 5 minutes, it will dissolve it and neutralize it, keeping it from coming back. Wash jelly off with soapy water and dry. Apply primer or touch up paint.

What color is your car? If it doesn't have any metal flake in it (black, white, sometimes red) you can apply paint to a small chip and keep building it up until it's higher than the surrounding area. Give it 24 hours to harden fully, and block sand it wet with 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper, leveling it out. Buff with buffer and compound.

I have done this on black cars with small key-like scratches and chips, and it totally disappeared, making the owner think I painted the door. Even I couldn't find the spot without getting right up on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top