Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Do I wax too much ?

Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good!

As long as you are using a wax that is non-abrasive, wax as much as you would like. I do mine once a month. Stay away from over using "Polish".
Old 08-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
ATriplett513's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of wax do you use? I've never waxed my truck and it needs a good cleaning...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious what wax you use and also whether you use an orbital or if you wax by hand.

I've always used Griot's Garage products with great success, but I have yet to use their wax.

Oh, and the truck looks awesome!

Fink
Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
HARDCORE CARNIVORE BOW HUNTER
lynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lynyrd3
Meguiars Gold Class ,Carnauba PLUS . Premium paste wax . Around $10 at Wal-Mart . All waxing I do is by hand . I just use the pad that comes with the wax then wipe off with micro fiber cloth. It is a good work out too .
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Do you do any stripping/cleaning before applying it (Dawn soap, cleaner/wax, etc...)? Do you just wax right over everything (plastic trim, emblems, etc...)?

I will more than likely try and wax my truck later this year, after the heat is gone and the daily rains stop.

I wash my truck at least twice a week, but lately the girlfriend has been driving us to work so it's just been parked in the parking garage at our apartment...which is just fine with me.

Fink
Old 08-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
ATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud ofATriplett513 has much to be proud of
Army:
Is there any advice you would give to someone doing it for the first time? Step by step would be awesome, if you don't mind. I can do anything with simple instructions haha

Edit: Fink posted while I was typing.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
lynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlynyrd3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Rinse vehicle very well then I use a citrus wash ( Chemical Guys ) applied with a foam gun that goes on the end of garden hose . Then scrub with soft bristle brush made for car washing. Rinse well . Dry with shammy . Apply wax with wax pad in a circular motion applying a good even pressure. Let dry . Use micro fiber cloth to remove dry wax ! Make sure truck is cool to the touch first do not wash or wax in direct sun light !
Old 08-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #10

lynyrd3's Tacoma Gallery
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Do you do any stripping/cleaning before applying it (Dawn soap, cleaner/wax, etc...)? Do you just wax right over everything (plastic trim, emblems, etc...)?

I will more than likely try and wax my truck later this year, after the heat is gone and the daily rains stop.

I wash my truck at least twice a week, but lately the girlfriend has been driving us to work so it's just been parked in the parking garage at our apartment...which is just fine with me.

Fink
DO NOT EVER USE DISH SOAP ON YOUR VEHICLE !! Most wax is not meant for rubber ,vinyl or non painted surfaces .
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
I never have, I have just heard of folks using Dawn dish soap to remove the "old" wax before applying new.

I baby my truck and don't use anything harsh on it whatsoever.

Fink
Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd3 View Post
Rinse vehicle very well then I use a citrus wash ( Chemical Guys ) applied with a foam gun that goes on the end of garden hose . Then scrub with soft bristle brush made for car washing. Rinse well . Dry with shammy . Apply wax with wax pad in a circular motion applying a good even pressure. Let dry . Use micro fiber cloth to remove dry wax ! Make sure truck is cool to the touch first do not wash or wax in direct sun light !
Thanks for the details. Guess I'll have to wait to use my mom's garage, all I've got is an apartment parking lot 120 miles from a garage I can use
Old 08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #13
CUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of lightCUtigerfan is a glorious beacon of light

CUtigerfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
Wait DO NOT use dish soap to wash your truck. My neighbor used to let her kids use whatever soap they could find as long as they would wash her car and thats probably why all the clear peeled off of it.

As far as a waxing process goes.. I use Zymol and it is some good stuff. Wash the truck really well. Dry it with a towel or whatever your heart desires (in SC it takes 0.2 seconds to dry in the sun). With a paste wax like Zymol you want to be in a garage if at all possible or at least in the shade. You want it to be as cool as possible so make sure its not in direct sunlight (when you apply the wax it will dry out and be a bitch to get off) Use an applicator you can buy anywhere wax is sold and put a little wax on it and moving in circles rub it into the paint. If your leaving liquid behind you are using too much wax. You just want it to look like a film. Wax one panel at a time and use a microfiber towel and buff off the wax. If its hot and it requires more than a little elbow grease to buff off you might want to work smaller areas at a time like half the hood or bedside instead of the whole thing. Step back and enjoy your shiny truck.

One more thing. You want to avoid getting a paste wax on plastic trim like mudflaps or your bumper. It will turn white and just look crappy. Some waxes like Turtle Wax Ice say they can be used on all surfaces and in direct sunlight. Personally I prefer Zymol or something similar.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd3 View Post
Meguiars Gold Class ,Carnauba PLUS . Premium paste wax . Around $10 at Wal-Mart . All waxing I do is by hand . I just use the pad that comes with the wax then wipe off with micro fiber cloth. It is a good work out too .
Good stuff....that's what I use on all of our vehicles
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
Wait DO NOT use dish soap to wash your truck. My neighbor used to let her kids use whatever soap they could find as long as they would wash her car and thats probably why all the clear peeled off of it.

As far as a waxing process goes.. I use Zymol and it is some good stuff. Wash the truck really well. Dry it with a towel or whatever your heart desires (in SC it takes 0.2 seconds to dry in the sun). With a paste wax like Zymol you want to be in a garage if at all possible or at least in the shade. You want it to be as cool as possible so make sure its not in direct sunlight (when you apply the wax it will dry out and be a bitch to get off) Use an applicator you can buy anywhere wax is sold and put a little wax on it and moving in circles rub it into the paint. If your leaving liquid behind you are using too much wax. You just want it to look like a film. Wax one panel at a time and use a microfiber towel and buff off the wax. If its hot and it requires more than a little elbow grease to buff off you might want to work smaller areas at a time like half the hood or bedside instead of the whole thing. Step back and enjoy your shiny truck.

One more thing. You want to avoid getting a paste wax on plastic trim like mudflaps or your bumper. It will turn white and just look crappy. Some waxes like Turtle Wax Ice say they can be used on all surfaces and in direct sunlight. Personally I prefer Zymol or something similar.

Fink
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
WVTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
Turtle Wax ICE is a great product & you dont have to worry about "staining" rubber/plastic/glass....beacuse it can be applied to these surfaces & wiped off, leaving a nice shine!