LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Undercoating Spray not drying

Old 08-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Undercoating Spray not drying

OK, I got my new sliders and wiped them down, primed them with one coat of Rust-Oleum primer then three coats of Rust-Oleum Undercoating Spray and it looks great...BUT it has not completely dried. It is still tacky and when I pick them up my hands pull a little of the paint off turning them slightly black. It has been a week now and they don't seem to be drying anymore.

Is there a way to get this stuff to dry completely? Should I give it more time? It says it is paintable, can I put a coat of regular paint over it to get it to dry?

If not what is the easiest way to take it off and restart?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I have used various undercoats in the past and have found that some don't seem to dry very well. Not as bad as your describing though. I'd suggest starting over. You can buff it off, pressure wash or sand blast it off, if its that wet maybe even a scraper.

Make sure when you undercoat the next time you put multiple thin coats letting them dry throughly between coats. I find that is the best way. To be honest I didn't even undercoat my sliders I just put some cheap black paint on them. Easier to touch up and the flat black makes it hard to notice.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
try spray on bedliner
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
What's the recommended dry time on the can? In your area, the humidity may be affecting this and I suspect that is what is affecting your lengthy dry time. I would give it a while longer before you try the next step. And, no, I would not re-coat or paint over any surface until it is completely dry. All you will be doing is trapping moisture and that will not be good.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I'm afraid he has already trapped moisture under the multiple coats of undercoat. most likely the first and second coats didn't dry completely, just like the 3rd coat.
Yep, could be.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
I'm afraid he has already trapped moisture under the multiple coats of undercoat. most likely the first and second coats didn't dry completely, just like the 3rd coat.

im thinking this....

how long did you wait in between coats?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
I put the primer on and a hour later one coat. Then the next day I put one coat on, waited an hour and put last coat on.

The can didn't have a dry time but said to wait 1-2 min (yes that is minutes) between coats.

I think I will give it some more time as I don't really want to strip and repaint them.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Hillbilly 4X4

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to spary it on in thin coats each time, that is why I went with three coats. It is some weird stuff, when I spray it on it is dark brown but as it dries it turns black. That is one of the reasons I waited a day to start on the second and third coats. I know that the primer and first coat was dry when I started the second day but did not touch the second coat before applying the third but did wait an hour and it had already turned black.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I hate to tell your this but remove it. Its a rubberized under coating and will always feel tacky I spray it under my truck twice a year and it still feels that way. Go buy some thinner and remove it and get the bed liner it works great on sliders.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I hate to tell your this but remove it. Its a rubberized under coating and will always feel tacky I spray it under my truck twice a year and it still feels that way. Go buy some thinner and remove it and get the bed liner it works great on sliders.

I had the same experience with this stuff. If you're dead set on using undercoating, which I wouldn't recommend, O'Reillys and AutoZone carry the 3M Undercoating (comes in a very bland/basic white or light green can with black lettering).

However, just as the others suggested, bed liner is the best for sliders. It also gives them some texture to help with traction in wet/freezing conditions.

Rustoleum makes roll and spray-on bed liner that I have always had good luck with. Just be sure to follow the prep/application directions methodically.

Fink
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
Hillbilly 4X4

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info about not drying...wish I had know about it.

I thought the rubberized would help using it as a step and be a little thicker than regular paint.

No it is still tacky I don't know if I will have time this weekend to strip them so I will just let them sit for now and see what happens.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Hillbilly 4X4

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Well I gave up on it drying and scraped it off with a putty knife. It was like tar and still sticky, half of it ended up stuck to the bottom of my shoes. I will never us that stuff again.

I painted them again with the bed liner and they turned out great. Will be getting them welded on in a few days.