1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercoating Spray not drying

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pat 13, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    Pat 13

Pat 13 [OP] Hillbilly 4X4

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma V6 DC 4X4 TX Pro
    OK, I got my new sliders and wiped them down, primed them with one coat of Rust-Oleum primer then three coats of Rust-Oleum Undercoating Spray and it looks great...BUT it has not completely dried. It is still tacky and when I pick them up my hands pull a little of the paint off turning them slightly black. It has been a week now and they don't seem to be drying anymore.

Is there a way to get this stuff to dry completely? Should I give it more time? It says it is paintable, can I put a coat of regular paint over it to get it to dry?

If not what is the easiest way to take it off and restart?

[​IMG]

2. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I have used various undercoats in the past and have found that some don't seem to dry very well. Not as bad as your describing though. I'd suggest starting over. You can buff it off, pressure wash or sand blast it off, if its that wet maybe even a scraper.

Make sure when you undercoat the next time you put multiple thin coats letting them dry throughly between coats. I find that is the best way. To be honest I didn't even undercoat my sliders I just put some cheap black paint on them. Easier to touch up and the flat black makes it hard to notice.

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    try spray on bedliner

4. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    What's the recommended dry time on the can? In your area, the humidity may be affecting this and I suspect that is what is affecting your lengthy dry time. I would give it a while longer before you try the next step. And, no, I would not re-coat or paint over any surface until it is completely dry. All you will be doing is trapping moisture and that will not be good.

5. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I'm afraid he has already trapped moisture under the multiple coats of undercoat. most likely the first and second coats didn't dry completely, just like the 3rd coat.

6. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    Yep, could be.

7. Aug 30, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc

im thinking this....

how long did you wait in between coats?

8. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Pat 13

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    I put the primer on and a hour later one coat. Then the next day I put one coat on, waited an hour and put last coat on.

The can didn't have a dry time but said to wait 1-2 min (yes that is minutes) between coats.

I think I will give it some more time as I don't really want to strip and repaint them.

9. Aug 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I would have thought that enough time to dry, the time you allowed not the time the can called for. I'd wait if I were you. With any luck it'll dry.

Were the first coats dry to the touch? Or did they feel like this final coat? Kind of puzzling now.

10. Aug 31, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Pat 13

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    I tried to spary it on in thin coats each time, that is why I went with three coats. It is some weird stuff, when I spray it on it is dark brown but as it dries it turns black. That is one of the reasons I waited a day to start on the second and third coats. I know that the primer and first coat was dry when I started the second day but did not touch the second coat before applying the third but did wait an hour and it had already turned black.

11. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I don't have any more advise for this one sounds like a product that I wouldn't want to use. Not saying its bad but this will have be touched up every now and again depending on how often and hard you wheel. I used some simple flat black.

Any progress?

12. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I hate to tell your this but remove it. Its a rubberized under coating and will always feel tacky I spray it under my truck twice a year and it still feels that way. Go buy some thinner and remove it and get the bed liner it works great on sliders.

13. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    [​IMG]

I had the same experience with this stuff. If you're dead set on using undercoating, which I wouldn't recommend, O'Reillys and AutoZone carry the 3M Undercoating (comes in a very bland/basic white or light green can with black lettering).

However, just as the others suggested, bed liner is the best for sliders. It also gives them some texture to help with traction in wet/freezing conditions.

Rustoleum makes roll and spray-on bed liner that I have always had good luck with. Just be sure to follow the prep/application directions methodically.

Fink

14. Sep 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Pat 13

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info about not drying...wish I had know about it.

I thought the rubberized would help using it as a step and be a little thicker than regular paint.

No it is still tacky I don't know if I will have time this weekend to strip them so I will just let them sit for now and see what happens.

15. Sep 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I have used a many different brands of rubberized undercoating and never had this issue I will surely steer clear of this brand.
    Best of luck to you OP.

16. Sep 26, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    Pat 13

Member:
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Vehicle:
    Well I gave up on it drying and scraped it off with a putty knife. It was like tar and still sticky, half of it ended up stuck to the bottom of my shoes. I will never us that stuff again.

I painted them again with the bed liner and they turned out great. Will be getting them welded on in a few days.

17. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the update.

Products Discussed in

To Top