Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

masking with vaseline

Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #1
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
masking with vaseline

Gonna try to black out the rest of the chrome emblems on my truck this Sunday.

Since I've been told the emblems on the first gen are some sort of crap material that breaks when you try and take them off, I'm gonna try and shoot them in place.

Masking is gonna be a mo-fo, so I went on line looking for other answers, and someone suggested I try using Vaseline as mask, theory being the paint will stick to it, when the emblems are dry I just wash the Vaseline off.

Anyone ever tried it? Do you think the Vaseline would stay in place being shot with adhesion promoter?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Iv'e done this but not on my truck. Thing to remember also is not to touch the Vasoline after you spray, also don't do it when it is to hot.
If you are going to spend that much time putting it on before spraying, I would set myself up to take the same amount to time taking it off, hard, I know cause you want to see the out come. But once the paint dries, take a piece of plastic (coffee can lid, plastic knife) and remove the painted Vasiline.
I also know latex will somewhat dry on it, not sure about the others. Just BE CARFULL and good luck.....pic's of course when you are done
Old 10-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
thanks longbow. i was kicking around the idea of using a blowdryer to gently melt the vaseline off after the paint dries. might make more of a mess than worth the time savings.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Yeah I'll try it first on the big TOYOTA on the tailgate, give me practice for getting it around the smaller letters.

And if I hose the TOYOTA, off it comes. Wanna get the big letters and center them on the tailgate anyways.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I heard a VERY disturbing story involving vaseline today...
Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #7

do tell
Old 10-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll send you a message!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #9

Not quite!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymar00n View Post
I'm guessing you went camping and didn't want to tell anyone about it....
Eh, nope. Story was better than that!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #11

It involves fire trucks, alcohol, and various farm critters.

Derek post in the underground.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #12

It doesn't involve me!

It involves a guy who is 6 foot 3 and a girl who is less than 5 feet tall.

I'll send it!