Engine Hot (Running) 37 8.03%
Engine Warm (Not Running) 119 25.81%
Engine Cold 215 46.64%
Dolphins! 90 19.52%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #21
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wash my engine compartment before washing my truck, my truck is an 05' and the enginge compartment looks like brand new. This is what I use on my dirtbike and engine compartment, mix 3 parts water to 1 part wash. this stuff is amazing. Bought from Honda dirtbike / motorcycle dealeship.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM   #22
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
I like Simple Green, good bang for the buck. If it's very nasty, Castrol Super clean is the way to go. It is very agressive stuff, though. Don't get it on your hands.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #23
Tacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacoma mud's Tacoma Gallery
Deffinately cold... Some are flammable and if your engine catches on fire itll be blacker than before!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I like to get the engine so hot that it glows red ... ... then dump a barrel of ice cold water on it and watch it fizzz ... ...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
JaimeSR5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jaime
JaimeSR5's Tacoma Gallery
do it while the engine is cold, use a steam pressure washer to wash down all the engine cleaner, once your done make sure you dont have any exposed wiring...turn your engine on to dry it up faster once your done..
Old 04-20-2012, 07:47 AM   #26
sabre19 is on a distinguished road
sabre19's Tacoma Gallery
I clean my engine bay when the engine is cold. After I'm done, I start it up, let it idle for a few, then take it for a short hop on the interstate to dry it out. Just for a little added insurance, I cover up the front diff breather tubes and the alternator before hosing everything down.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Engine cool. Do not do it on a hot engine as you can crack hot metal. Start the engine once you're done to dry it.

^^^^
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #28
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Hot or cold....both are fine.
I've dunked a hot engine in a water crossing many times, never an issue. Granted it does cause more stress but it's unlikely to hurt anything.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
When I clean any of my engine compartments, i go to the spray wand type of car wash and use the engine cleaner at the car wash. I enter the stall, cut off my engine and pull the hood release. I open the hood to let it cool a bit and I get my change. I spray down the whole compartment with sprayer on engine cleaner and then let it sit for a minute or two, then I use the pressure wand on clear water and I clean off the engine cleaner. I do not cover anything and I spray the whole area. No problems doing this to the engine. Then I clean the rest of the vehicle and leave.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #31
Dezrat is on a distinguished road
Name: John
Dezrat's Tacoma Gallery
When I clean my engine bay I tend to wrap my alternator in a plastic bag then I'll spray the engine with a bottle of degreaser, I avoid spraying directly to some electrical connections. I leave my engine cold personally but it's up to you. Then I'll power wash it. It looks pretty diecent in the end and never had any problems. Good luck guys!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I don't think it matters.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #33
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Just spray it down with Simple Green. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Hosed it off.

Made absolutely no discernible difference. Still looks dirty and grimy.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
I've detailed my engine both after driving it and first thing in the morning when it's cold....honestly no difference.

What makes the difference are the products and tools you use.

I like to DOUSE the motor, sometimes I use half a brand new bottle with my favorite engine degreaser:

Let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Do not water the motor before. Just spray it directly on when the motor is dry.

Rinse it all off(a pressure washer would be IDEAL) and let it air dry or use an air compressor. Repeat the steps in the super greasy/dirty areas.

To finish it off, I use this stuff and apply it pretty generously:

Here is my engine after taking the steps and using the products I mentioned above:

Goodluck!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #35
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Just spray it down with Simple Green. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Hosed it off.

Made absolutely no discernible difference. Still looks dirty and grimy.

Any suggestions?
I used to use Simple Green, it works on the dirt, but not so much on the greasy spots. Pick up a bottle of Purple Power Citrus degreaser. Best stuff I've used, and it's as "safe" as Simple Green. I use it to degrease underbodies all the time and it just kills it all off.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketdog View Post
Now if you use a product like mean green or purple power that stuff will stain aluminum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
I used to use Simple Green, it works on the dirt, but not so much on the greasy spots. Pick up a bottle of Purple Power Citrus degreaser. Best stuff I've used, and it's as "safe" as Simple Green. I use it to degrease underbodies all the time and it just kills it all off.
Any issues with staining or etching aluminum?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #37
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Any issues with staining or etching aluminum?
With the CITRUS CLEANER Purple Power, I had zero etching issues.

The Industrial Strength Purple Power cleaner/degreaser(white bottle) is a different story. I will never use that stuff again on polished aluminum. Very bad etching. They advertise it as "non-abrasive" but don't let that fool you. It's definitely strong stuff. Etching is proof.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
With the CITRUS CLEANER Purple Power, I had zero etching issues.

The Industrial Strength Purple Power cleaner/degreaser(white bottle) is a different story. I will never use that stuff again on polished aluminum. Very bad etching. They advertise it as "non-abrasive" but don't let that fool you. It's definitely strong stuff. Etching is proof.
thanks for the heads up
Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #39
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I had a buddy who always sprayed the entire engine bay with armor all and then hose it down. His engine bay always looked great and he swore it never bothered anything. IDK if I'd do it, but it's another option I guess. Personally I never hose or power wash the engine. I go at the rubber with a rag soaked in quick detailer and just a wet rag to wipe down the rest.
But, I don't go mudding
Old 05-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #40
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
It is always hot by the time I get to the car wash. I try to lightly mist it to get everything wet and started cooling before I shock it with lots of water. If you are going to crack something, throwing lots of water quickly on it would be the way to do it. I figure easing into it is the best way.

Products Discussed in this Thread