View Poll Results: Engine Bay Cleaning
Engine Hot (Running) 37 8.06%
Engine Warm (Not Running) 118 25.71%
Engine Cold 215 46.84%
Dolphins! 89 19.39%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #41
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLL WILL View Post
I've detailed my engine both after driving it and first thing in the morning when it's cold....honestly no difference.

What makes the difference are the products and tools you use.

I like to DOUSE the motor, sometimes I use half a brand new bottle with my favorite engine degreaser:

Let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Do not water the motor before. Just spray it directly on when the motor is dry.

Rinse it all off(a pressure washer would be IDEAL) and let it air dry or use an air compressor. Repeat the steps in the super greasy/dirty areas.

To finish it off, I use this stuff and apply it pretty generously:

Here is my engine after taking the steps and using the products I mentioned above:

Goodluck!

DAMN! If that isn't a testament to your method working, I don't know what is! Looks GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #42
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt [again, not WILL]
STiLL WILL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
DAMN! If that isn't a testament to your method working, I don't know what is! Looks GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!
Thanks man...I've used this method on my Taco's underbody, my Forester's engine bay, and my STi's engine bay with plenty success.

my Tacoma underbody:

(no NOT a warrantied frame NOR painted! lol)

my Forester engine bay:

my STi engine bay:

Old 05-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Will, I'm guessing you're NOT in the northeast salt belt, as I am.
Nice work though. You're welcome to come detail my truck or the wife's V anytime!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're welcome to come detail my truck or the wife's V anytime!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #45
MY NAME ISN'T WILL
STiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTiLL WILL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Will, I'm guessing you're NOT in the northeast salt belt, as I am.
Nice work though. You're welcome to come detail my truck or the wife's V anytime!
"Location: CA"

For sure, you mean her Prius V right?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #46
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
lmao
Old 05-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #47

Quote:
"Location: CA"

For sure, you mean her Prius V right?
Yup yup. Specs on the Prius V- black, ummm, I did the "all weather floor mat mod" I'm pretty much not ever allowed to mod my wife's vehicles in ANY way. She is a stock girl.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #48
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazylegs View Post
I don't think it matters.
I more or less agree. I wouldn't run an ice cold hose on a ridiculously hot engine, but I think pressure washing (which is usually hot water at self serve car was bays) on an engine that is fully warmed up should not be an issue. After all, you drive to the car was, right?

As far as a degreaser, in addition to Simple Green, I use the orange one from Home Depot (I think its called Zepp or something like that) because its super cheap, and just as effective.

Here's my engine bay and undercarriage after detailing this past week (excuse the water drops...the best light is always before it rains, and I always wind up getting caught in the rain when I take detailing pics....) I used Chemical Guys Bare Bones spray for that shine...its oil based so it repels dirt and water, helping keep it clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-_12g6688-copy.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-_12g6698-copy.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-_12g6706-copy.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-_12g6711-copy.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-_12g6715-copy.jpg  

Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #49
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rich
Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
I DO live in the NE Salt Belt, and I appreciate all the product recommendations for cleaning, but is there a product that inhibits the rusting process? I know that the best prevention is regular cleanings, but when I clean my guns I spray on a product that rejects moisture and prevents rust. Any thoughts on possibly using that after I clean the undercarriage???
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #50
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I've detailed my engine both after driving it and first thing in the morning when it's cold....honestly no difference.

What makes the difference are the products and tools you use.

I like to DOUSE the motor, sometimes I use half a brand new bottle with my favorite engine degreaser:

Let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Do not water the motor before. Just spray it directly on when the motor is dry.

Rinse it all off(a pressure washer would be IDEAL) and let it air dry or use an air compressor. Repeat the steps in the super greasy/dirty areas.

To finish it off, I use this stuff and apply it pretty generously:

Here is my engine after taking the steps and using the products I mentioned above:

Goodluck!
Kind of detailed my engine.

Followed the process in the post above (using same products)

I am only mildly impressed with the products and my technique. Maybe because of the 100 degree heat, it didn't work like it was supposed to... but you can clearly see the "during pics" the degreaser left a white residue that could not be washed off no matter how powerful the jet (no pressure washer). The nastier parts I used a toothbrush to scrub with the degreaser....

You can also see the spotting the detailer left on some parts, as well as the white residue from the degreaser not coming off, in the "after picture" Again I don't know if it's the heat outside or not, but I followed the directions on the can to a "t"

Before:

During:

After detailing, letting it evaporate for 20 mins, idling for 5 minutes, then driving for 20 minutes:

Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #51
Rich
Dirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of lightDirty Jersey is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Rich
Dirty Jersey's Tacoma Gallery
Hey madjik maybe Mothers back to black would work for the white spots. May burn off but should restore to black. Just a thought
Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Jersey View Post
Hey madjik maybe Mothers back to black would work for the white spots. May burn off but should restore to black. Just a thought
Yeah, I'm a 303 Aerospace guy, so I'm gonna wipe it down with that to see if it works.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #53
MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Kind of detailed my engine.

Followed the process in the post above (using same products)

I am only mildly impressed with the products and my technique. Maybe because of the 100 degree heat, it didn't work like it was supposed to... but you can clearly see the "during pics" the degreaser left a white residue that could not be washed off no matter how powerful the jet (no pressure washer). The nastier parts I used a toothbrush to scrub with the degreaser....

You can also see the spotting the detailer left on some parts, as well as the white residue from the degreaser not coming off, in the "after picture" Again I don't know if it's the heat outside or not, but I followed the directions on the can to a "t"

Before:

During:

After detailing, letting it evaporate for 20 mins, idling for 5 minutes, then driving for 20 minutes:

Did you use any of the engine detailer I used on my post?

Your engine bay looks clean, but I'm puzzled as to why you got that white film. I've never gotten that using Orange purple power degreaser. I never had to use any other tools aside from my power washer and cleaning/detailing agents.

That intake tube looks like it's been through a lot compared to the other visible parts!

If you bought the spray bottle of degreaser, you could add water to it because it is concentrated....that might be better to help with the spotting if it's a hot day.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Did you use any of the engine detailer I used on my post?

Your engine bay looks clean, but I'm puzzled as to why you got that white film. I've never gotten that using Orange purple power degreaser. I never had to use any other tools aside from my power washer and cleaning/detailing agents.

That intake tube looks like it's been through a lot compared to the other visible parts!

If you bought the spray bottle of degreaser, you could add water to it because it is concentrated....that might be better to help with the spotting if it's a hot day.
Used exactly everything you did, and as described.

I honestly think because it was so hot (and dry) out that the orange citrus degreaser just dried up even though I kept trying to saturate the engine with it.

I don't have a pressure washer, just the "jet" setting on my hose nozzle.

I went back and hit the back spots up with 303 Aerospace and it looks considerably better, lest that intake tube... it's gnarly still.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #55
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
Zep citrus degreaser FTMFW. 10$ at Home depot. Will provide about 30-40 motor bay cleans. I use this in conjuction with cheap store grade plastic protectant. Works AMAZING. I did this when I owned my detailing business. This citrus cleaner is bio-degradeable, does not leave residue on the aluminum (like simplegreen), and is cheap. Spray it on, leave it soak for 1-2 minutes, and rinse. Then dry. It works great for a chemical prewash (if heavily diluted) on your paint. It also works great for removing oil stains in the driveway too! As for engine warming, it depends on the weather. I usually do it cold either way..Although luke warm will be just fine.

303 aerospace protectant is a waste of money imo. By the time it says it will last to, you should have already washed your motor 3-4 times and have reapplied it. Either way, the posts above work just as well..my method is just a tad cheaper.. A LOT cheaper. Dont forget to cover your alternator, intake, belts, and any exposed wiring/electronic parts. I use aluminum foil and garbage bags.

Just a few ive done.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-zep.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-387901_302351046458603_1387992943_n.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-298957_302351009791940_1327847512_n.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-img_0170.jpg   Engine Bay Cleaning. Hot or Cold?-img_0169.jpg  

Old 08-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #56
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to try that.
I keep mine pretty clean also. I use black magic tire wet on everything .
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #57
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
THere was no Tuna option!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #58
choyt is on a distinguished road
Name: wayne
choyt's Tacoma Gallery
Srubbing bubbles then after 10 mins wash with cold water. (works all the time)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #59
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. Almost certain that my engine bay has never been washed. Ever.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #60
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, Can you please tell me what brand of plastic protectant you use?
From Wallyworld? Also after spraying Zep off, do you just spray the plastic protectant on everything????
Thank you..
>Gman

Products Discussed in this Thread