View Poll Results: Engine Bay Cleaning
Engine Hot (Running) 37 8.03%
Engine Warm (Not Running) 119 25.81%
Engine Cold 215 46.64%
Dolphins! 90 19.52%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #61
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gman2530's Tacoma Gallery
Hello, Can you please tell me what brand of plastic protectant you use?
From Wallyworld? Also after spraying Zep off, do you just spray the plastic protectant on everything????
Thank you..
>Gman
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #62
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
I use the store brand cheap plastic protectant to save money. Any kind will work. Spray it on the plastic parts, hoses, etc. obviously spraying protectant on something like the headers will just burn off.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #63
gman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgman2530 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thank you for responding, I'm that guy that believes all the hype! LOL! "Magic This" & "Miracle That".....I have tried almost everything to clean, wax & keep plastic & rubber looking good....But have found out the hard way, thru the wallet! Just basic stuff works as good...What kinda wax do you use??
Thank you again...

>Gman
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #64
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
Thank you for responding, I'm that guy that believes all the hype! LOL! "Magic This" & "Miracle That".....I have tried almost everything to clean, wax & keep plastic & rubber looking good....But have found out the hard way, thru the wallet! Just basic stuff works as good...What kinda wax do you use??
Thank you again...

>Gman
For the engine bay, yes. But normally you pay for what you get. As for rubber and plastic on the exterior, I highly recommend Ultima. it's very expensive but damn worth it. I wouldn't use any wax under the motor bay unless you have a painted surface that is gloss in tone.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #65

I will look into "Ultima" Who makes it???.. Im using that Aerospace 303 now... What Wax do you use on your vehicles exteriors?
Can i get Ultima at WallyWorld?
Thank you for all your assistance ..
>Gman
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #66
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2530 View Post
I will look into "Ultima" Who makes it???.. Im using that Aerospace 303 now... What Wax do you use on your vehicles exteriors?
Can i get Ultima at WallyWorld?
Thank you for all your assistance ..
>Gman
I primarily use detailers domain and autogeek. http://www.detailersdomain.com/

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html

As for wax, it starts to get complicated. Wax is usually just a topper, or gloss enhancer. There are compounds, polishes, sealants, and waxes that all do different types of things to your paint, and are all applied differently.

As this thread is dedicated to engine bay detailing, we might want to stay on topic. Check this out http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html (i think it might help ya.. i also really like this forum http://detailingbliss.com)

If you have any questions on product recommendation, PM me. Ive detailed numerous vehicles, mercedes, bmw, honda's, even a peterbuilt semi. I dont mind helping or giving my 2 cents if you would like to hear it good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #67
LocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud ofLocoTaco has much to be proud of

Coast Guard: RDC Retired
Name: Don
LocoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I use Simple Green on a cold engine and let it sit for a few minutes, I then use my power washer with the electrical components covered with plastic. Finish it off with plastic treatment, wipe down and I am good to go.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #69
JabbaJabbaJabba
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
never get your arb compressor wet. or any where near moisture. ever. just a tip.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #70
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
never get your arb compressor wet. or any where near moisture. ever. just a tip.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #72
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Protectant

After cleaning with your favorite degreaser, has anyone tried fluid film to protect metal & plastic? I live in pa where road salts are a fact of life.
I have heard it works great.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #73
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Sub
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #74
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i used Engine Degreasear.. I bought it auto zone, car wasn't running, but it was hotter then a bitch out, i clean it about once a week, I've had it both running, non running, in the cold and in hot, it typically doesn't matter, it just matters on how you do it and what type of product your using
Old 08-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #75
CloseYetFar is on a distinguished road
CloseYetFar's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine about a month ago. I used Simple Green cause I had a lot of it on hand and works good. I sprayed the engine down with it and let it sit for about 10 mins. Then I sprayed it down again with SG and washed it off with the hose. I did not cover anything but did not directly hit the alternator or battery terminals. The engine was off and warm to the point that the water evaporated quickly, but was not really hot. It was not perfectly clean but it was much much better. Lastly I used an air compressor to help dry it off. I did all this before starting or running it.

Hotter engines seem to be easier to clean but if its too hot the cold water could crack AL parts.

Cold engines are harder to clean but safer for the engine and take longer to dry.

I like warm engines, just hot enough to evaporate the water quickly but does not hiss or steam much. Give the cleaner time to work and wait to run it until its dry. The goal is to get 80% of the dirt off. More then that is just OCD.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #76
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
A question for you...

When you drive through a water crossing, or a deep puddle on the highway, water enteres your engine bay. It's more volume than a pressure washer and hose. What do you think is happening to the engine?
Rust is happening, that and a possibility of killing your alternator or getting water in your electrical connections. You would need to apply very cold water to a hot manifold to get it to crack. The engine block is not a problem since it's extreme heat is carried through the exhaust.
Wash it as you please. Add dielectric grease to all your electrical connections as a precaution.
Yep. The people that are scared of spraying cool water on a hot engine trip me out.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #77
SABAJA is on a distinguished road
Air Force: AFSOC
SABAJA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseYetFar View Post
I did mine about a month ago. I used Simple Green cause I had a lot of it on hand and works good. I sprayed the engine down with it and let it sit for about 10 mins. Then I sprayed it down again with SG and washed it off with the hose. I did not cover anything but did not directly hit the alternator or battery terminals. The engine was off and warm to the point that the water evaporated quickly, but was not really hot. It was not perfectly clean but it was much much better. Lastly I used an air compressor to help dry it off. I did all this before starting or running it.

Hotter engines seem to be easier to clean but if its too hot the cold water could crack AL parts.

Cold engines are harder to clean but safer for the engine and take longer to dry.

I like warm engines, just hot enough to evaporate the water quickly but does not hiss or steam much. Give the cleaner time to work and wait to run it until its dry. The goal is to get 80% of the dirt off. More then that is just OCD.

Looks good! I generally don't cover anything either. The vehicle isn't going to blow up if electrical components get wet and the water evaporates anyway. Never had a problem without covering anything...ever.

Better to be safe then sorry I'm sure, but I'm just lazy.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #78
Flymaker is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Prime Beef
Flymaker's Tacoma Gallery
I do mine cold...but if its alittle warm I don't feel it will be a issue....I just soap mine down with Dawn Dish detergent ...let it sit for 10-15mins and pressure wash it back off....my engine bay looks show room new....If you clean it 3-4 times a yr ..there shouldn't be any need for anything else.....
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #79
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
do you really need the engine bay of a TRUCK to be CLEAN? i say if anything just take the engine cover off and clean that and instantly the truck looks 20x cleaner
Old 08-31-2013, 05:41 AM   #80
eppy is on a distinguished road
Name: Rob
eppy's Tacoma Gallery
They now make an automotive Simple Green in blue bottle. The stuff is awesome and use it on everything for my taco. I even used it to remove stubborn stains in my carpet and didn't bleach it out. I do have detailers pro engine cleaning and works excellent also. Just cover your alternator with a plastic bag and other sensitive electronics and your good to go.

Products Discussed in this Thread