Engine Hot (Running) 37 8.06%
Engine Warm (Not Running) 118 25.71%
Engine Cold 215 46.84%
Dolphins! 89 19.39%
Voters: 459. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 05:53 AM   #81
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppy View Post
They now make an automotive Simple Green in blue bottle. The stuff is awesome and use it on everything for my taco. I even used it to remove stubborn stains in my carpet and didn't bleach it out. I do have detailers pro engine cleaning and works excellent also. Just cover your alternator with a plastic bag and other sensitive electronics and your good to go.
Did not know about the automotive simple green. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #82
Munstertoyo is on a distinguished road
Munstertoyo's Tacoma Gallery
Hot or cold I've done both on multiple cars. I usually spray some simple green and let it sit a few minutes followed by a rinse. Don't let the simple green sit too long as it may cause deterioration on rubber or plastics.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #83
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Neither, warm is the way to go
Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #84
Nmwill is on a distinguished road

Name: William
Nmwill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eppy View Post
They now make an automotive Simple Green in blue bottle. The stuff is awesome and use it on everything for my taco. I even used it to remove stubborn stains in my carpet and didn't bleach it out. I do have detailers pro engine cleaning and works excellent also. Just cover your alternator with a plastic bag and other sensitive electronics and your good to go.
What other importent electrical components should be covered?
Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #85
synth505 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
synth505's Tacoma Gallery
No love for P21S? Just spray.. hit the crevasses with a swissvax brush, wait 5 minutes and wash it down. Then while the engine is still wet spritz the compartment with AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber Care. Let dry for a nice semi gloss shine. P21s total wash is an amazing product... just did mine and I will post pics as soon as I can. Its safe for use on paint as well so its good for the hard to scrub road gunk.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #86
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Engine cool. Use a heavy duty de-greaser. I have used a steam cleaner to remove the filth. I have found that a pressure washer works better around the engine bay (not on the engine) because it is quicker and uses less water. However, it is higher pressure, which can penetrate electric parts. Just be careful. It takes time and several small washes are better than one huge blast with the hose.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #87
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
Engine wash

I was in the used car/truck business, for years; and saw a lot of dirty, gunky engines. This was before, the current EPA, had strict rules for every business.

At that time we could use any chemical, that we could get our hands on; oh by the way, no-one seemed to die.

Anyway, we would pre-treat the greasy engines with a grease cutter. We would apply that while the engine was warm, to get the most effect on the grease buildup. Then let that set for at least an hour or so, or even longer.

Then when we got back to the engine, it was cold, exhaust manifolds don't like to be doused with water.

Warm or hot water worked better; usually the greasy film just washed off.

I had been around steam power washers in the Military; but that is a different story.

The cold engine, warn/hot water worked well for us.

oldracer
Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #89
bvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shedbvlpxm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: pat
Location: Upstate South Carolina near Spartanburg but have lived lots of places
bvlpxm's Tacoma Gallery
like to clean em cold or cool ( not just tacoma's) . Pull the plastic engin cover to get to the hidden dirt & debris.Simple green spray down & let sit for 5-10 min ( clean cover while waiting) hose it down, spray with dawn or other diluted dish soap, rinse again. Then what I consider a most important part take a leaf blower & dry off as much loose water & blow out all electrical connectors & components. light spray of vinyl protectant ( i just use armor all) & wipe off any residual put the engin cover back. If time & weather permit, I like to leave the hood open for an air dry if possible. started doing this about 20 yrs ago after some electrical problems with some mid 80's vehicles & haven't looked back. works for me
Old 01-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #90
TACOMA GNOME will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement:
TACOMA GNOME's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
A question for you...

When you drive through a water crossing, or a deep puddle on the highway, water enteres your engine bay. It's more volume than a pressure washer and hose. What do you think is happening to the engine?
Rust is happening, that and a possibility of killing your alternator or getting water in your electrical connections. You would need to apply very cold water to a hot manifold to get it to crack. The engine block is not a problem since it's extreme heat is carried through the exhaust.
Wash it as you please. Add dielectric grease to all your electrical connections as a precaution.
Amen brother
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #91
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Ive heard oven cleaner worked well for cleaning engines, anybody tried water and dawn in a squirt bottle. It would.be super cheap to use.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #92
Never Satisfied
KingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingKoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed
KingKoda's Tacoma Gallery
You know what worked surprisingly well for my engine bay was the tire cleaner at the car wash. Propped the hood and soaked the engine, wheels with the low pressure tire cleaner. Then rinsed the engine bay at low pressure and when you get home wipe down with a shop or clean towel. Kept my driveway clean too.

Obligatory; don't force into electrical connections and do not pull handle for full pressure. Just rinse at low pressure. The full pressure will push the hood up off the hood support rod.

Or just get some auto shop engine cleaner and clean away in your driveway. I suppose either is better than the guys at the auto parts stores dumping any and all fluids into the storm drains.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #93
...It Hurts when I Pee...
AWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWF ROWD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: ParaRescue-SpecOPs
Name: Doc
AWF ROWD's Tacoma Gallery
The key to any detail job is to stay ahead of the dirt and grime..you cant wait 4 years and decide to blast the engine bay and come out with spectacular results....Hit it 3 or 4 times a year(unless yer muddin'), you'll be surprised....Warm engine if you have oil based grime buildup....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #94
Mmmmm... Beer
14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed14TACO4X4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MACS(SW) ret
Name: Shawn
14TACO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
IME the best way to clean an engine bay is with a steam cleaner. A lot of military bases have auto hobby shops and that's where I have cleaned my engine bays. Steam cleaners are obviously very hot and clean really well. Dirt, sand, dust, oil, grease...

And on a hot engine, hot water and steam isn't going to matter. Only worry is electrical components, but I have never had one issue.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #96
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I drove to the carwash and washed out my engine bay today
I turned it off; but, almost immediately started spraying with low pressure. So, it was hot
The amount of sizzling and steam was WAY more than I expected (did this once before):
as in, I almost left the wash bay cause it was so thick; I got pretty nervous (still kinda am)
No CELs and no altered performance, after about 30 miles of driving
Don't know if I'll be doing that again, though
Old 03-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #97
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
I have washed my engine bay at a Blue Beacon Truck Wash for years. I leave it running. Soak it with their form of soap, which is basically powdered laundry detergent, and then blow it off with 1500 psi @180 degrees. Then soak it with Hydrafloric (sp?) Acid. Let it sit, for a very short time. Blow it off again with same water. I also do this to the hood, and hood protector, (cloth thingy) and then rinse from a distance with 2000 psi @ 120 degrees. Drop the hood, give it a few revs, and pull out to go home. The drive home is about 45 minutes, and I've never had a problem. No leaks. No electrical problems. It actually needs to be done again.

Note:

If you have the deckplate mod complete, don't forget to insert the blank. Hydro locked motors are expensive.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #98
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery

Products Discussed in this Thread