Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Scratches... Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0?

Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
CQB 1911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
CQB 1911's Tacoma Gallery
Scratches... Meguiar’s ScratchX 2.0?

Anyone have any luck with Meguiars ScratchX? I have a 2010 in Magnetic Gray and it seems like everyday I see a new scratch on it. If not ScratchX can you recommend anything else?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Are you only working by hand?
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Are you only working by hand?
Yeah, I don't have a power buffer. I do have a drill and I've seen some buffers that attach to a normal drill motor.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
The ones for drills are good for removing individual scratches, but if you plan to do the whole truck you would be working for a long time.
The drill also acts like a rotary polisher which presents a high risk of clear coat burn through if not careful.
I would recommend Meguiars ultimate compound. You should be able to find it in your local parts store. Its a little more aggressive than the scratch x when working by hand.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
The ones for drills are good for removing individual scratches, but if you plan to do the whole truck you would be working for a long time.
The drill also acts like a rotary polisher which presents a high risk of clear coat burn through if not careful.
I would recommend Meguiars ultimate compound. You should be able to find it in your local parts store. Its a little more aggressive than the scratch x when working by hand.
Sounds good - thanks for the advice!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
I Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shedI Liquid I is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I Liquid I's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed that for individual scratches that are somewhat deep but still bluffable, working by hand seems to be better than with a buffer.

I have a porter cable that I love, however for some scratches, I buff better by hand.

Also, scratch x is good for here and there scratches. I use Ultimate compound for the whole truck or big parts when needed.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't had any luck with scratch x on any of my cars
Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

2010 Magnetic Grey paint

The scratch X worked alright on minor scratches. I guess I have some pretty deep ones that aren't going to buff out. It seems like every day I have scratch pop up that wasn't there before.

I have a Magnetic Grey 2010. It seems like the paint just isn't that durable. Is it possible that I got a shitty paint job from the factory, or is it just me.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
Seems the Mag Grey scratches easily from others that have commented on that color. I have a white one and it does a better job of either hiding or being able to handle minor scrapes.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've buffed out some pretty deep scratches with ScratchX and a cotton wheel on a dremel. That leaves it's own marks in the paint, so I had to polish with the polish glaze compound and a buffer.

I tried by hand, but just can't remove enough paint that way.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
I tried it a few weeks ago and it looked great at first but after a good all day rain, the scratches were back. Don't waste your money. I think the only long term fix for scratches is another paint job.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnfly View Post
I tried it a few weeks ago and it looked great at first but after a good all day rain, the scratches were back. Don't waste your money. I think the only long term fix for scratches is another paint job.
Money? Money?! What's wasted on scratch removal is TIME. Hours and hours of it. If you're going in thinking "wipe, buff, and gone" you've got the wrong expectation.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Money? Money?! What's wasted on scratch removal is TIME. Hours and hours of it. If you're going in thinking "wipe, buff, and gone" you've got the wrong expectation.
It only took about 15 minutes of work but the disappointment is what really pissed me off
Old 10-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Meguiars ultimate compound is ok still gotta work it in by hand more.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Tried Meguiar's ultimate compound today to get out a scratch and gouge I had. The scratch is almost completely invisible and the gouge is a lot better than it was, you wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out. I worked the product by hand using a 100% terry cotton towel, be prepared to spend a good thirty minutes or so on a moderate scratch, results should be well worth it though.
The finish after you're done is like glass, just as good as a clay bar in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
jprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to all
Navy: Honorably Discharged
Name: Joshua
jprovence's Tacoma Gallery
Be prepared to wear out your arm with ScratchX. Though I have used it with a rotary buffer with excellent results with a polishing W9000 polishing pad.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
jprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to all
Navy: Honorably Discharged
Name: Joshua
jprovence's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devux View Post
Tried Meguiar's ultimate compound today to get out a scratch and gouge I had. The scratch is almost completely invisible and the gouge is a lot better than it was, you wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out. I worked the product by hand using a 100% terry cotton towel, be prepared to spend a good thirty minutes or so on a moderate scratch, results should be well worth it though.
The finish after you're done is like glass, just as good as a clay bar in my opinion.
A clay bar should be used before the ultimate compound.