Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Please help! Toyota messed up my headlights! What now?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Reklaw31 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Ron
Reklaw31's Tacoma Gallery
Please help! Toyota messed up my headlights! What now?

Hey guys, I know there's a ton of headlight threads on here but I need some straight answers. I recently bought a set of used 2010 OEM headlights for a BHLM, the mod turned out great but I noticed a few light scratches that were bugging me. I took my truck into Toyota for service and asked if the could get the scratches out. Of course they Said yes and worked their magic... To my dismay, my perfectly clear lenses with a few scratches turned into lenses with a bunch of super light swirl marks that stand out even more and make the top half of my lights look foggy, especially at night. You can see a clear distinction between the top half where most of the work was done, and the bottom half. I didn't notice this initially because it was mid day. So the question is without going back to Toyota for the same bad results, what is a quick fix to make these things look new again? Polish by hand? A detail shop? I'm not to keen on them getting worse. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
try a light polish, see if that works. Otherwise, you might have to buy another set
Any recommendations on type or brand?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reklaw31 View Post
Any recommendations on type or brand?
when i did my headlights i sanded it down with a 2000 grit sand paper and then i used Meguiars ultimate compound and Meguiars plastx..they look flawless
Old 09-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by seksilumpia View Post
when i did my headlights i sanded it down with a 2000 grit sand paper and then i used Meguiars ultimate compound and Meguiars plastx..they look flawless
Ok, do you know where I can get details on the procedures? Is it normal at night for the top half to look hazy when low beams are on? It just looks like someone did a buff job on em, it's pretty obvious.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
seksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of lightseksilumpia is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Brandon
seksilumpia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reklaw31 View Post
Ok, do you know where I can get details on the procedures? Is it normal at night for the top half to look hazy when low beams are on? It just looks like someone did a buff job on em, it's pretty obvious.
there souldnt be any haze..just redo them..heres a video of them using plastx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx15F6b0mIg

and ultimate compound (i used them on my headlights as an additional step)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRokMbzUcoc
Old 09-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I use Meguires Plastx on my lights when they get foggy/hazy.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Beat me to it.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I use Meguires Plastx on my lights when they get foggy/hazy.
not bad only last like 3-4 weeks tops