Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing the ugly dealer badge

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
e-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud of

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
Removing the ugly dealer badge

Does anyone have any tips for removing the ugly ass dealer badge off my tail-gate? The dealership I bought my truck from put this chrome plastic disc with their name on it right next to the Tacoma emblem. It looks like it is just stuck on with some double sided tape, but I am afraid to just pull it off. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this ugly ass thing off my truck?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...e-badging.html

DE-BADGING:

To debadge the taco you need a few things...

Fishing Line I used 6 lbs. test
Blow Dryer
Goo-Gone
Windex

1. I cut the line into about 3 ft lengths.

2. I heated up a section of the badge. I kept heating the spot till when I touched the metal I couldn't keep my finger on the door for more than a few seconds without discomfort.

3. Take the cut line and run it along the back of the badge. I used a sawing motion which helped out a lot. When the fishing line broke I knew that I had reached a section of the badge that needed to be heated up.

Then just repeat step 2 and 3 till the badge comes off.

Then with the goo gone spray the stuff left over that is stuck to the door. Using your finger nail scratch the stuff off. Then spray the goo gone again and using a rag and elbow grease get the residue off.

Finally I just used windex and sprayed the area instead of waxing the area like some people do.

......socolax91
Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
e-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud ofe-rok has much to be proud of

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
Sick, sounds easy enough........thanks guys
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
seancanterbury will become famous soon enough

seancanterbury's Tacoma Gallery
just pulled it off with my fingernails. shouldn't be too hard to get off..
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #6

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
That could not have been easier, even though it is only 39 degrees out, no hair dryer needed. Just sawed through with one piece of 6lb fishing line, then peeled the remaining tape off with my fingers, no residue was left, then just shined it up with some windex and a soft cloth. Looks so much better!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-rok View Post
That could not have been easier, even though it is only 39 degrees out, no hair dryer needed. Just sawed through with one piece of 6lb fishing line, then peeled the remaining tape off with my fingers, no residue was left, then just shined it up with some windex and a soft cloth. Looks so much better!

hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT ..PICSSSSSSSSSSSSS??????
Old 11-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna de-badge this weekend!

yes yes....what neon said...PICS!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #9

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
Before............
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the ugly dealer badge-img_2450.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #10

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
After.
So much better. Sorry Western Slope Auto, I liked you dealership, just did not appreciate the ugly ass badge you slapped on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing the ugly dealer badge-img_2449.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
funny thing here in Hawaii they don't use those things. The only thing they slap on is a license plate frame.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
-Doomsday Squad-"game over man"
RaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud ofRaginCajun has much to be proud of

RaginCajun's Tacoma Gallery
Looks alot better!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
I personally like my Dealership badge, the fox i like and imo looks pretty sweet

Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 AM   #14
robo-ninja
edwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to all

edwinalink's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i think your dealer sticker rocks to... now if only it wasnt crooked!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinalink View Post
yeah i think your dealer sticker rocks to... now if only it wasnt crooked!
yeah i did notice that but still i looks good, even on the red ones you can still see the fox
Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #16

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
The fox is much better than the big old hunk of plastic they slapped on my tailgate, I could see leaving that on
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
robo-ninja
edwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to alledwinalink is a name known to all

edwinalink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-rok View Post
The fox is much better than the big old hunk of plastic they slapped on my tailgate, I could see leaving that on
agreed, when a dealer actually pays attention to the quality of their graphics... i can totally see leaving their logo!

now when a dealer
"i done did made a plaque fer' dah' truck...."
like in your case.

it is totally worth removing, and possibly complaining about it to them.

like this "hey, thanks. but i dont really need any more dishes, so here is your turkey platter back."
Old 11-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
What if God Smoked Cannabis
Bassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud ofBassetdad has much to be proud of

Bassetdad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Bassetdad Send a message via AIM to Bassetdad Send a message via Yahoo to Bassetdad
When I bought my truck back in 2000, I asked the service manager for a screwdriver & removed the dealers front & rear license plate frames. I gave the frames back to the sales rep and told him "No Thanks". If I had a dealer toss his logo on the truck I was dealing on.....I would expect the dealership to remove their logos off of that truck before I signed the papers for that Tacoma.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #19

e-rok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinalink View Post

like this "hey, thanks. but i dont really need any more dishes, so here is your turkey platter back."
Thats f-in funny. I should drop it in the mail with a note saying here is your ugly ass plastic turkey platter back...........wonder how that would be received at the dealership
Old 11-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassetdad View Post
When I bought my truck back in 2000, I asked the service manager for a screwdriver & removed the dealers front & rear license plate frames. I gave the frames back to the sales rep and told him "No Thanks". If I had a dealer toss his logo on the truck I was dealing on.....I would expect the dealership to remove their logos off of that truck before I signed the papers for that Tacoma.
exactly. Here in Hawaii no dealer puts on a logo (that i know of) only the license plate frames.