Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

latex paint splatter removal

Old 10-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
latex paint splatter removal

thousands of little dots of latex paint are on my tailgate, ive tried buffing when i did my debadge, which didnt help much. It did help on my ghosting, but still have quite a bit left.

Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
TheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGloryFades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Seth
TheGloryFades's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar maybe?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it's latex and not the 2 part epoxy they use for roadway striping? Either way, have you tried acetone, gasoline or something like goof off? You will need to wax the area when it's done because all of those will strip the wax off the clear coat. Clay bar might have even taken it off but I'd have my doubts if a buffer didn't do the trick.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Are you sure it's latex and not the 2 part epoxy they use for roadway striping? Either way, have you tried acetone, gasoline or something like goof off? You will need to wax the area when it's done because all of those will strip the wax off the clear coat. Clay bar might have even taken it off but I'd have my doubts if a buffer didn't do the trick.
it scratches off with your fingernail, but theirs THOUSANDS of little dots
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
it scratches off with your fingernail, but theirs THOUSANDS of little dots
If it comes off with your fingernail, try claybar. That's supposed to do a great job taking off things that are sitting on top of the clear coat. You'll have to detail the paint afterwards but it should remove the paint.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
A belt sander will take it off.

But I won't recommend it.

Most types of paint thinner, acetone, goof-off etc. might damage your clearcoat so although it might work, I would try a small area first.
When I had my truck painted it came back with overspray all over the truck. I tried all kinds of solvent type products and even polish and could not get it off. I took it back to the painter and he was able to buff it off which appeared to be fairly effortlesly. He did use a power buffer (angle grinder attachment). Maybe this is what made the difference. I then used a clay bar after that and applied a good coat of wax.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
A belt sander will take it off.

But I won't recommend it.

Most types of paint thinner, acetone, goof-off etc. might damage your clearcoat so although it might work, I would try a small area first.
When I had my truck painted it came back with overspray all over the truck. I tried all kinds of solvent type products and even polish and could not get it off. I took it back to the painter and he was able to buff it off which appeared to be fairly effortlesly. He did use a power buffer (angle grinder attachment). Maybe this is what made the difference. I then used a clay bar after that and applied a good coat of wax.

Thats what i used to take off most of the ghosting on my emblems, buffer attachment on an angle grinder. Ill give the clay bar a shot and report back. thanks folks. any specific type/brand to reccomend?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
Squirt Liquid Clay Bar on it and rub it with a Clay Bar then wash it...will look mint!