Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Battle the water spots?

Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Battle the water spots?

OK, first off... I am not lazy. Water tends to dry before I can wipe down my truck leaving water spots. We have some pretty hard water here and the water spots are brutal. The Mr. Clean AutoDry isn't easily found anymore and I was looking for alternatives.

I seen this product on Amazon and was wondering if it would stop the water spots? It says it's for RVs, but a filter is a filter?

http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-RV-60...pr_product_top

Anything else I should see?
Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I always dry my vehicles with a spray detailer. In the summer I pull into the garage before it drys and wipe it down there. Out of the sunlight.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
idk what you could do.

but what i do is keep the hole truck wet till the hole truck is washed. like if i cleaned the roof i still spray water on it after i washed the soap of. even if i’m on my bumpers (i do roof first and tend to do bumpers last) but i keep the hole truck wet till i’m done washing. and dry it and move on to wheels and tires. and if i miss a little spot it’s not to bad on the silver. but windows you can really tell if i just let it air dry.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I always dry my vehicles with a spray detailer. In the summer I pull into the garage before it drys and wipe it down there. Out of the sunlight.
I also use a TurtleWax spray detailer afterwards, but these water spots get bad.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
I also use a TurtleWax spray detailer afterwards, but these water spots get bad.
Maybe because of the color? My wife's car is gray also but haven't had issues with that. It is a bit harder to detail though.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
idk what you could do.

but what i do is keep the hole truck wet till the hole truck is washed. like if i cleaned the roof i still spray water on it after i washed the soap of. even if iím on my bumpers (i do roof first and tend to do bumpers last) but i keep the hole truck wet till iím done washing. and dry it and move on to wheels and tires. and if i miss a little spot itís not to bad on the silver. but windows you can really tell if i just let it air dry.
I had silver and traded for MGM... HUGE DIFFERENCE
Can't do that anymore
Old 10-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
I had silver and traded for MGM... HUGE DIFFERENCE
Can't do that anymore
oh yeah i bet!
but yeah i just keep it wet till iím done washing.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Try not to wash it in the sun and like the others said, keep it wet.

We have really hard water in California and I don't get hardly any water spots when I wash my truck.

Also, a good drying cloth will help as when it is damp, it will wipe away mild water spots as they are starting to form.

http://www.polishandwax.com/shop/pre...ing-cloth.html

Old 10-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
Opihiman10 is on a distinguished road
Opihiman10's Tacoma Gallery
wash at night....with my old black truck, that was the only way to keep from getting water spots from washing....in the end....mother nature will find a way.

OPI
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I usually keep misting the truck as a wash to keep it wet and then I dry the whole truck using a shammy cloth. As others have said, wash in the shade if you can, it helps!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Silver paint ftw. I don't have to worry about it on my Tacoma but all the other cars that belong to my household are dark colored(Red, Black, Blue). I just keep them wet all over until I'm done then go for a drive to dry everything off.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I usually keep misting the truck as a wash to keep it wet and then I dry the whole truck using a shammy cloth. As others have said, wash in the shade if you can, it helps!
^This.

I always wash the truck in the shade.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
Wolfrunner is on a distinguished road

Army: Instructor, 3/414th D. Co.
Wolfrunner's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the spots on the paint it is what it is. but a guy that tints windows gave me a great idea for the glass. He used shower glass cleaner from the hardware store. Its almost like a really soft scrub for the windows. No hard water spots after that.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
I wash it in the shade of my driveway, and at the end i re-spray the whole truck so its soaking wet. Then i pull it into the garage to dry.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #16
KevinG is on a distinguished road
Navy: Served from 95-99, on the Yorktown (CG48) and Guardian (MCM5)
Name: Kevin
KevinG's Tacoma Gallery
Water spots are really easy to prevent.

For anyone who doesn't know, water spots are simply mineral deposits that were disolved in the water. If you remove the minerals from the water (deionized water), you won't get any water spots. No need to dry your vehicle!

Here's what I did...
I got a Reverse Osmosis system from Lowes (I'm sure the brand doesn't matter, but I believe mine is a Whirlpool). I have it hooked up in my garage with a 1/4 turn ball valve on the output hose. I use normal tap water to wash the truck (like other people have said... keep it wet!), but I rinse with the RO water. I get everything set up to wash, then I stick a 5-gallon bucket under the RO hose and open the valve. I wash the truck, and about the time I'm done, the bucket is about full (The output pressure is really low). I pour about a third of it over the roof, then some on the hood, each side, and the tailgate.

I've been doing it for years. The RO systems are relatively cheap (I think I paid $70 dollars for mine... though I don't really remember).
Old 12-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #17
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
be glad you guys dont have to drive by hotels and irrigation that uses recycled water.

that stuff....

goodbye, clear coat.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
use a leaf blower..like me
Old 01-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on keeping the whole vehicle wetted down until you're ready to start drying... i use a nice big microfiber cloth to dry.