Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Adding a sunroof? Worth it?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Name: Jake
HammerHead's Tacoma Gallery
Adding a sunroof? Worth it?

One thing I wish I had in my Taco was a sunroof. Well, besides Angelina Jolie. But I've heard that adding a sunroof will always lead to leaks and not worth it. My guess is you get what you pay for in this area. Has anyone added a sunroof to their Taco, and if so, was it worth it? Has it held up? Expensive?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I tihnk it was talked about a while back. Cost was about 1500 and I haven't heard of anyone bitching about leaks or anything.
If you just sawzall a hole in the roof and glad in some glass you are asking for issues. I have my doubts that a reputable installer with a good product will have issues like old sun roofs used to have.

Worth it is on you tho. If I had an extra 1500...I might...but I have a house note and a few other things to get past before I have an "extra" 1500...
Old 10-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t-sunroof.html

If you want one get it just make sure it is done my a professional shop.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
HammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant futureHammerHead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...t-sunroof.html

If you want one get it just make sure it is done my a professional shop.
Thanks for the link Whip!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If you just sawzall a hole in the roof and glad in some glass you are asking for issues.
at the thought of anything attempting this....
Old 10-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
babyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabyboi2284 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
babyboi2284's Tacoma Gallery
If your willing to do the upkeep on it then yes it's worth it. Find a reputable shop for the install and go for it. Even vehicles that come stock with sunroofs eventually leak especially if not taken care of. I don't know how often but the drain tubes need to be cleaned (and unclogged if necessary) to prevent water backing up into your vehicle and I think there is some kind of lube maintenance on the rubber seals around the sunroof which may be once or twice a year depending on the climate where you live. I've seen some xrunners with aftermarket sunroofs and it look f'n awesome and haven't heard any complaints of leaks.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I would not do it. Just my opinion.
My wife's minivan came with one and we never use it. I don't see any reason or need for it. Also the idea of cutting a hole in your roof sounds way too scary to me. I had to drill small holes in my roof to install my roof rack, and that was scary enough.
Again, that is just my opinion.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
not worth it to me
Old 10-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #11

Argh! Still concerned. I think I was half hoping everyone would say "Do it! Its great!" There are definitely some sweet looking aftermarket sunroofs out there, but it does scare me to have someone cut the roof. But I do miss being able to open the sunroof.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
not worth it
Old 10-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Argh! Still concerned. I think I was half hoping everyone would say "Do it! Its great!" There are definitely some sweet looking aftermarket sunroofs out there, but it does scare me to have someone cut the roof. But I do miss being able to open the sunroof.
Just get it done because it sound like you really want it.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have a sun roof (moon roof) on my car, and love it! I often think about having one put in my Tacoma. Last car I had with one, at 110k miles, still had no leaks, and worked flawlessly. Hell.....My '86 Mazda 626 had one and never leaked.......
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
ATRT 1193 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jarrett
ATRT 1193's Tacoma Gallery
i say go for it, I AGREE, i used to have one in my 90 camry, 170K+MILES, worked great, NEVER LEAKED and i miss it!! i drive with the windows down alot and a sunroof/moonroof made things so much better. i plan on one for my truck eventually, also my son loved it too!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #17
ikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud ofikillterrorists has much to be proud of

Marines: 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company
Name: Andrew
ikillterrorists's Tacoma Gallery
If I had the money I would DEFINITELY do it. The air going through my side and back windows is not enough
Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
SSS
oneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shedoneBIGroom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: SSS
oneBIGroom's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it. Cutting a hole in a roof is never a good idea.
Edit: I might trust one if it was factory. But not an aftermarket.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
7.62x63mm
goufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shedgoufcustom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NAVAIR
Name: Michael
goufcustom's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it, my wife has a factory one in here car, and whenever I drive her car I close the sunroof and close the blind on it.

I am also a naturally warm person, it is November in MD and I still wear shorts a lot, so the extra wind through a sun roof sounds great, but the sun glare sucks.

My neighbor has one on his car and his leaks, he wanted to park his car in my garage during Irene, but my wifes car was in there, so his got soaked inside.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #20
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
my 95.5 has one. 202k and it only leaks when i go through a lazy car wash or use our spray gun at work. but i really have to hit it and its only a few drops.