Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

(first post) & Fading under badges

Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Moshenek is on a distinguished road

Name: Michael
Moshenek's Tacoma Gallery
(first post) & Fading under badges

Hello TW, I recently got my tacoma and have already started to get it right. Recently installed the URD throwout bearing kit and it works great, and finally sounds like a normal truck.

Next thing im looking at doing is a debadge of the chromed yota emblems and maybe the TRD sticker. The only concern is my truck is an 05. I am not sure if anyone has had experience with any paint fade in doing this. I dont plan on taping out the locations so once they are off they are off.

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
(first post) & Fading under badges-img-20111010-00023.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
what color is your truck? and i'm sure if you search for paint fade you will find some info on it to.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #3

its black, I did a search but not much info
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
I took mine off after 5+ years and had no fading at all. But it's Impulse Red.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
you should not see much to any fade, used some wax on the truck after you remove them
Old 10-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #6

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...lhouettes.html

well one guy removed after 11 years on red and is fine after some elbow grease but the 2 year old truck has the problem.
still looking for insight
Old 10-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the input, but it doesnt seem like anyone has direct experience with the darker colors after a few years.

Atleast Ill have a nice template to line them back up with if things dont turn out right haha
Old 10-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it goes.

I debadged my girlfriends Forester only to find out that the badges had a little pin on the backside of them that fit into a little hole drilled through the body. I had that shit glued back on so quick, she never even noticed.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Live Fast, Die Young
superwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperwhite10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superwhite10's Tacoma Gallery
i say tape a "L" around the badges so you know where they go, check for faded paint, if none then take the tape off and you debadged. if there is fading paint em black and put them back on where they were
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #10

Yeah the L would be good insurance. Next weekend Ill pick up a claybar and some cleaner wax and see what I can do.

Theres a black yota that lives less than a block from me that went matte black on all the badges and I think it looks like doo doo. I would have to color match or somthing
Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #11
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 07 silver, and I had fade on the drivers side TRD sticker
clay barred did everything I could think of and you can still see it,just the one place though...wierd
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #12

I peeled them off this morning. I have to say i like the results!

It looks good I got most of the goo off with acetone. Little to no fading that i can tell of but you can see couple very small spots of a little residue left that im hoping a wash and wax will take care of
Attached Thumbnails
(first post) & Fading under badges-img-20111110-00023.jpg  
Old 11-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshenek View Post
its black, I did a search but not much info
Darker colors have a penchant of showing ghost writing than lighter.

I have a Sunfire Red Pearl and debadged and de-decaled after 11 years.

I initially had some ghost writing (darker paint under the badges) but with goo gone, a wash, clay bar, compound and wax... and lots of elbow grease, it's gone.

You can see the "SR5" behind the ext cab window, but that's only if you're looking for it at about 8" away. If you walk by the truck or look at it from a normal distance, even with a scrutinizing eye, it looks fine
Old 11-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshenek View Post
Hello TW, I recently got my tacoma and have already started to get it right. Recently installed the URD throwout bearing kit and it works great, and finally sounds like a normal truck.

Next thing im looking at doing is a debadge of the chromed yota emblems and maybe the TRD sticker. The only concern is my truck is an 05. I am not sure if anyone has had experience with any paint fade in doing this. I dont plan on taping out the locations so once they are off they are off.

Thanks guys!
It can be easily polished out.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
You can see the "SR5" behind the ext cab window, but that's only if you're looking for it at about 8" away.
I need to revisit this.

It's from about 3" away with a scrutinizing eye that you are only able to see it.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
toycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoycar18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
toycar18's Tacoma Gallery
Polish it out

Watch video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swLcPlUPd_c