Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Who undercoats ?

View Poll Results: Undercoating..good..bad..over kill !
Good idea ? 42 76.36%
Over kill, not worth it! 4 7.27%
Bad Idea? 1 1.82%
Don't live where it snows ! 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #61
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
Just purchased a case of Fluid Film for $76.20 Free Shipping!! http://www.shoplet.com/Eureka-chemic...FQYZQgodg3fi_Q
good deal...how many cans?

I got 6 cans for 9.99 each on sale at TSC yesterday
Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #62
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
WOW! Now that is a good deal!!! It was a case of 12. Just finished yesterday.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #63
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
How rusted is it Greg ??
not as bad as I thought actually.
Should I get some fluid film for this or just some rustoleum paint to protect is?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #64
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by captclueless View Post
not as bad as I thought actually.
Should I get some fluid film for this or just some rustoleum paint to protect is?
IMO Knowing what i have seen over the years. i would take a few hours and use a wire brush on those rust spots. i would then spray it with a good rust fighting paint. I would paint everything frame and suspension related. Wait a week to dry and then FF the whole deal. frame, body, axles, backing plates.
OR
just FF it.
OR
Wire brush it and then paint everything on the frame with por15.
Not sure on drying time for poor but maybe a couple of weeks. Then FF it.
all depends on how hard you want to go at it.

Myself I would do the scrape and paint and ff deal Keep your eye on it next year unless it flakes off and it makes it look worse by scraping. Then por it
Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
IMO Knowing what i have seen over the years. i would take a few hours and use a wire brush on those rust spots. i would then spray it with a good rust fighting paint. I would paint everything frame and suspension related. Wait a week to dry and then FF the whole deal. frame, body, axles, backing plates.
OR
just FF it.
OR
Wire brush it and then paint everything on the frame with por15.
Not sure on drying time for poor but maybe a couple of weeks. Then FF it.
all depends on how hard you want to go at it.

Myself I would do the scrape and paint and ff deal Keep your eye on it next year unless it flakes off and it makes it look worse by scraping. Then por it
Got any recommendations on a good rust fighting paint? I was just gonna use rustoleum.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #66
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Got any recommendations on a good rust fighting paint? I was just gonna use rustoleum.
MMMMMMMMM just scrape the big spots like heck. prime the surface and spray rustoleum. Can't think of anything else except going for broke with por.
Someone else might have a better product in a can but I can't help you there. It's going to be a constant fight from now on........
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #67
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Try Rust Bullet. That's what use. Seems to work.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 AM   #68
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard good things about Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #69
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
I've heard good things about Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.
I used that on my old Dakota. After 11 years the frame was still rust free except for a few small spots nothing major. I also use the Internal Frame Coating from Eastwood for parts of the frame that is boxed in.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #70
Drewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Drewski's Tacoma Gallery
I wish we had this Krown place here in Chicago, it sounds like you Canucks really like it. The only undercoating place I've been able to find around here is Ziebart, and I'm having a tough time finding good reviews. Like captclueless said, we get massive amounts of salt here in winter. And my '99 Taco is a rust virgin, after having spent the last 12 years in AZ and CA. I'd like to keep her that way. I don't need a rust slut living in my garage...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #71
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I wish we had this Krown place here in Chicago, it sounds like you Canucks really like it. The only undercoating place I've been able to find around here is Ziebart, and I'm having a tough time finding good reviews. Like captclueless said, we get massive amounts of salt here in winter. And my '99 Taco is a rust virgin, after having spent the last 12 years in AZ and CA. I'd like to keep her that way. I don't need a rust slut living in my garage...
The beauty of Krown is that the oil creeps into all the tight spots!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #72
markveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the roughmarkveneris is a jewel in the rough
Marines:
Name: mark
markveneris's Tacoma Gallery
subbed.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #73
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I power wash and apply a product called Krud Kutter it is supose to neutralize the rust, then I hit it with rustoleum, but I will look into the Fluid Flim as it won't hurt.

Question if you spray this on in the driveway how much of a mess do you have?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I power wash and apply a product called Krud Kutter it is supose to neutralize the rust, then I hit it with rustoleum, but I will look into the Fluid Flim as it won't hurt.

Question if you spray this on in the driveway how much of a mess do you have?
How good is your aim ???

Seriously, it goes on like paint in a can. It smells sweet. Won't hurt anything.
Nice even coat won't drip. you will be fine. Just wipe it up if you goober it.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #75
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a can yesterday I checked with the John Deere and TSC dealers and no luck so I did a Agriculture search here in town started to call around and found the stuff. Sprayed it on where I had treated the rust with Krudd Kutter, rustoleum paint hope it stays on.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #76
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
I used some fluid film this weekend. I got mine from Amazon. I used it to spray the wheel wells. I was going to spray the whole underneath but we got hit with 8 inches of unexpected snow before I could.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #77
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
also wash the bottom of your truck every week in the winter from the salts.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #78
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I sprayed the frame with Fluid Film it was power washed and clean before hand and it snowed mostly slush it appears that the Fluid Film all but washed off.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #80
mwtaco has a spectacular aura aboutmwtaco has a spectacular aura about
mwtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I sprayed the frame with Fluid Film it was power washed and clean before hand and it snowed mostly slush it appears that the Fluid Film all but washed off.
Run your finger over the sprayed areas. If its still got a waxy film its still there. Applied mine months ago and still have a coating over all the areas i sprayed. I did not power wash it though.