Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Who undercoats ?

View Poll Results: Undercoating..good..bad..over kill !
Good idea ? 42 76.36%
Over kill, not worth it! 4 7.27%
Bad Idea? 1 1.82%
Don't live where it snows ! 8 14.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
The greenmonstah
greenmonstah is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: truck guy/emt
Name: Andy
greenmonstah's Tacoma Gallery
Who undercoats ?

Where I live it's time to get ready for winter, the salts they put down are nasty on the truck so i undercoat my truck fram,wires,tubes,ect. I have been using cheep napa brand undercoat I find it waers off fast anyone have any better products they use ?

How many of you do the same or close to?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Is it legal for you to do it in Maine? Its illegal here in Mass
Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
just did mine this past wknd, good idea IMO...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's starting to get pretty chilly down here already. It was already down to the low-80's today. Snuggie time.

Fink
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
I use Corrosion Free 3000. DND (Dept. of National Defense; Canada), did a study back in the late '90 and after all the testing, this stuff came out on top.

Frank
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DND Review of Corrosion Control Programs.pdf (820.8 KB, 421 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Ivan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shedIvan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ivan
Ivan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post
Yeah, it's starting to get pretty chilly down here already. It was already down to the low-80's today. Snuggie time.

Fink

-_- , lucky bastard
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
The greenmonstah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink
Yeah real cold.... I saw 32 the other day on my way to work...

yeah I think its ok In Maine, I have been doing it for a while now. last car had no rust at 7 years old.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
So many b!tches, so little time...now back to TW!!
crazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant futurecrazyrzr85 has a brilliant future

Name: ErIc
crazyrzr85's Tacoma Gallery
I believe what we used was white kero/used oils, sprayed on.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
The greenmonstah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
I use Corrosion Free 3000. DND (Dept. of National Defense; Canada), did a study back in the late '90 and after all the testing, this stuff came out on top.

Frank
Thanks for the info il llook into them... i find the stuff i use just falls off and look so bad after a few months.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
-_- , lucky bastard
As much intentional gloating as there was in that post...I neglected to leave out the ridiculous humidity we still have.

It's been better the past week, though.

Fink
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
Thanks for the info il llook into them... i find the stuff i use just falls off and look so bad after a few months.
They mention the wax based material briefly. All it does is hide corrosion as moisture gets under it.

Frank
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
The greenmonstah

hmmm. that prob why there is a little surface rust its take right off with sandpaper.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
I use Rust Bullet. I started painting my frame this past weekend. I have more on order. I want to get the whole frame coated before it gets cold. If I have time I will do the whole underneath of the truck. I used it on my old Dodge and it kept the frame rust fee. I had a friend who didn't use anything on his frame and after 6 years it was all rust.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
The greenmonstah

yeah i'm trying to keep it looking good too. I though about rustolium they tuff stuff but i worrie that it will not be thick enough,
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
The greenmonstah

does any one use the protector paint for the front of the truck comes in clear and black ?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
I was gonna undercoat my truck, but I heard stories about how the undercoating can trap moisture between it and the metal and cause rust to form under the coating. You would only know about it until it starts to get really bad and flake off. Instead, I'm gonna just sand off the rust yearly and apply POR-15 to touch up any rust. But then again you do live an area where they salt the roads...that's a pretty tough call.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:00 AM   #17
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I get mine Krowned yearly. I'll keep getting this done until the engine stops in my truck
Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #18
VermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud ofVermonterLost has much to be proud of
Name: Devin
VermonterLost's Tacoma Gallery
Got it oil undercoated at a shop last year, did all right, they used to use better stuff when I was a kid. I just bought some Fluid Film from the John Deere dealer in town, haven't put it on yet bbut I've heard good things about it. I'll let you know how it goes once I get off my dead ass and spray it on.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #19
Rifleman not a cook, Appleseed program
Tackleberry is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Tackleberry's Tacoma Gallery
So Fluid Film is the way to go for the northeast? I live in CT and the brown crap they put on the roads here will eat anything. When you spray it on how did you keep from getting it on the exhaust? What other parts did you stay away from, or do you just hit the whole thing
Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #20
Motorboatin' SOB

Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonstah View Post
does any one use the protector paint for the front of the truck comes in clear and black ?
Do you mean that liquid film stuff? The rubbery/vinyl stuff? I've never heard of it being sprayed on (assuming that is what you are talking about), but I imagine if you were sure to prep the paint well enough before applying it that it could help.

Fink