Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

deep scratch

Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Angry deep scratch

So this morning I backed out my taco and heard a grinding noise. What happened was that I rubbed against my house fence and made a fine deep scratch on the rear driver side area of my truck due to a fence bolt that was stinking out.

So for sure theres no way I can just buff it out...I can see the metal....really sucks...

How good are those paint pens? Any good products I can buy to fix this?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What color is the truck? I've got a pen for the superwhite (color code 040) and it works ok but you can definitely tell there's a mark there. I haven't buffed over the areas I've touched up though so that might make it a little less noticeable.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery

Fink
Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

Super white

Sorry ill post pics after work...its been bugging all day
Old 10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
WVTacoma08's Tacoma Gallery
This product is great http://www.drcolorchip.com/.
I've used it on several occassions & turns out really well
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTacoma08 View Post
This product is great http://www.drcolorchip.com/.
I've used it on several occassions & turns out really well
Is it really as easy as it shows on the video? I'd be skeptical on the match, seems it'd look different.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
WVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWVTacoma08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Is it really as easy as it shows on the video? I'd be skeptical on the match, seems it'd look different.

Pugga,
I was very skeptical as well! But it is as easy as the video shows & the product is great. Now....don't expect if to fill in the scratch & totally eliminate the scracth groove, but it will color-match perfectly!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTacoma08 View Post
Pugga,
I was very skeptical as well! But it is as easy as the video shows & the product is great. Now....don't expect if to fill in the scratch & totally eliminate the scracth groove, but it will color-match perfectly!
Thanks for the input, I might have to give that a go! I've got a ton of little rock chips I'd like to get rid of.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
elicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the roughelicitone is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement: Constable
elicitone's Tacoma Gallery
Since your truck is white, your laughing... Old saying in the business is "if you can't make it right; make it white". Here a simple DIY process. Not a lot of details since the steps are pretty self explainatory.

Get your self a paint pen from the dealer and a primer pen from your local auto supply. (Toothpick and canned primer will do if you can't find a pen.) Make sure the primer is matched to the paint.

Completely clean the area to be touched up, and I mean completely..

Apply a very thin layer of primer, just enough to cover the bare metal and allow to dry.

Apply paint to scratch in as many thin layers as required to bring it up to match levels.

Allow to dry and set for at least 48 hours.

Use a fine compound and power polisher to go over the effected area to help blend the two paint surfaces.

Wax effected area.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Thanks for the input, I might have to give that a go! I've got a ton of little rock chips I'd like to get rid of.
Now for road rash....it's the bomb!! I've got an indigo ink & road rash showed up bad after running the truck for a couple of years. I got the Dr Color chip stuff & was pretty amazed about how well it covers & you can cover a decent size area really quick! The results are lasting as well
Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #12

Can't seem to figure out how to post pics from my phone...any how I went ahead and bought me the dupli color pen set that comes with the rubbing compound, primer, and clearcoat....also bought the pop a dent to get rid of the small dent it also created ( wonder if it will work )

Tommorrow is my day off...so ill deff post pics on my progress...before and after pics....thanks for all the input guys...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #13

Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #14

Old 10-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #15

Ok figured out how to post pics....easier on my phone lol...yea well thats the nasty scratch...the triangle part scratch is were the small dent is...looks horrible right? I mean hopefully my small project ( dupli color kit ) can cover it up...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
You will probably not get the dent out, and my experience is that the color will not match perfectly, although white is one of the best colors to match. I have fixed many scratches on my vehicles over the last few years, although nothing as big as your's, but to me the most important thing was to make sure that it gets sealed from the elements to keep it from rusting. Hopefully the white will be very close. My wife's van is white, and I have been able to get pretty close, but it is still noticeable, but if you rub your fingers over it it is completely smooth, so at least I know the paint is as thick as the original.

Good Luck!
Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #17

Yea...lucky to have a white truck....kinda nervous about rusting....so tomorrow ASAP I will start on this project...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboynowee View Post

Fink
Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #19

How much do you guys think it will cost to fix at a body shop? I'm just curious...
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #20
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboynowee View Post
How much do you guys think it will cost to fix at a body shop? I'm just curious...

unless you have a hookup, prolly more then you want to spend. They will have to blend..Im betting you in the $500 range