1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Back to Black On New Truck.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tacoma Mike, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Oct 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike [OP] 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Need an opinion here.

Since my truck does not have painted flairs and bumpers I have been reading and searching for an particular answer.

I really like a more shiny look and all of my other trucks faded over the years.
    I would like to keep this "LOOK" and was wondering If there would be an issue with back to black on these components on a new vehicle and if it would give me the desired effect.

How long does it last before needing to reapply.

I read it streaks after a rain storm and that is a deal breaker for me

Or if there is another product that would do the trick.

And no way is armor all going on this truck.

Thanks people.

2. Oct 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.

Interesting idea with tire shine in the fender wells. MMMMMMMM

3. Oct 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    I would but fluid film is the undercarriage spray of choice LOL, At least until April...

So you haven't has issues with Back to black streaking? I was thinking of just wiping it on with a towel. Not heavy just a swipe.

4. Oct 12, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I've definitely noticed the streaking from Back to Black. It's great in the summer when there's no rain but leaves a streak once rain first starts. The stuff seems to rinse off easily from your paint, though.

5. Oct 13, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    fwiw, I use similar stuff.

CD2 on engine
    Fade2Black on mud flaps and bumper plastics
    Bare Bones for wheel wells / undercarriage
    trim shine for plastic pieces that need to be applied by hand.

6. Oct 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I've been using 303 Aerospace Protectant for a while and I really like the stuff. It does streak though, after the truck gets rained on.

7. Oct 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input guys.

So since it's been raining here for 2 days and i'm on vacation with no outside work i can do I've been playing with the truck.

I went into the local parts store and started reading the backs of every bottle of stuff in there.

Came across a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Black Restorer. Read the back and it said it dried almost instantly and will not streak when surface gets wet.

SOOOOOOO I've done the back bumper and it has the shine i want. tried to rub it off after an hour with no residue.
    So not sure if this is the stuff but I'm going to do the rest of the truck tomorrow and see what happens. I have road streaks on the plastic flairs already and it's driving me nuts so this is the reason for the posts.

The wife's jeep needs this too..

Thanks again

8. Oct 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    It seems that you have found your stuff. For what it's worth Back-to-Black is awesome stuff I put it on every time I hand wash it, like once a month, and do a few applications. Mine does streak a little bit after it rains but it takes a lot of rain then I just re-apply and it goes away.
    Before on the left. After on the right.
    [​IMG]

9. Oct 13, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thank you.
    I'm not much of a detail guy. This is my first new vehicle in 26 years. The others got washed when it rained and cleaned when i took the floor mats out to shake them. I've spent more time on this truck since i got it between the fluid film ,clay baring it, 2 coats of wax, and now the plastic then all my other trucks combined. I fix them all day and i sure as hell hate to work on my own stuff at night. But this needed a fighting chance for it's first winter. The paint would not have done well.

10. Oct 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    thomasr1950

thomasr1950 19 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have not had any issues with streaking on Back to Black. I have a white Taco too. I used it on the bed rails & step pad of the bumper, i saw no steaks. If it were going to streak it would show up on white but i didn't see any. I applied it by rubbing in, after it dries i buffed it with a cotton t-shirt.

11. Oct 15, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    thomasr1950

thomasr1950 19 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Member:
    central us
    Vehicle:
    19 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    How do you apply the tire shine to the feder wells?

Products Discussed in

To Top