Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Need some advice on a paint issue

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
thegreatsam will become famous soon enoughthegreatsam will become famous soon enough

Name: Sam
thegreatsam's Tacoma Gallery
Need some advice on a paint issue

What started as a small chip near the front bumper has recently balooned in to a much uglier paint blister. If finding a color matched replacement part is anything like trying to find a rear fender flare (for which I've been looking for over a year), it will be a long time until I can locate a part.

Any advice on how I can contain the spread, especially with the NW rainy season fast approaching?

Attached to the post is a pic of the damaged area. You can follow this link to the full resolution pic. http://home.comcast.net/~smills/images/tacoma/paint.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Need some advice on a paint issue-paint-copy.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Probably the only thing you can do now is to remove the blistered paint and try to put touch up paint on it to stop it from spreading more..won't look very good though. A better idea would be to just bring the flare in to a paint shop to be completely repainted.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 View Post
Probably the only thing you can do now is to remove the blistered paint and try to put touch up paint on it to stop it from spreading more..won't look very good though. A better idea would be to just bring the flare in to a paint shop to be completely repainted.
^^^^^this
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
thegreatsam will become famous soon enoughthegreatsam will become famous soon enough

Name: Sam
thegreatsam's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I have some snow chain damage on the right rear flare as well, but I haven't been able to find a color matched replacement. I'll probably take both in before too long and see if I can't get a quote. Both parts being plastic, I'm not terribly concerned, I was just hoping to contain it until I could put a more permanent fix in place.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, no fix for that other than to have it repainted. I might actually take it back to toyota, and see if they'd warranty it. That paint should NOT be peeling like that! If you raise a fuss, they'll probably take care of it for ya, it's a cheap repair.