Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Scratches/scuffs under the door handle

Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Resident crazy cat lady
NewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Becca
NewTacomaGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to NewTacomaGirl
Scratches/scuffs under the door handle

I have black scuff looking marks under my door handle on the drivers side and i tried to rub them off but they are not coming off. Its under the handle so it is kind of hard to get to. I have a few scratches on my truck that I took care of, but these black scuff looking marks under my door handle are driving me crazy (comes with being OCD about how clean my vehicle needs to be/look) and I was wondering if anyone else has that issue and if anyone knows how to get rid of them.

Sorry for the size..

Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Resident crazy cat lady
NewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewTacomaGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via MSN to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Yahoo to NewTacomaGirl Send a message via Skype™ to NewTacomaGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXscott14 View Post
Added pictures to the first post.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have scratches in the clearcoat under my door handles

You mean like this ?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Resident crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have scratches in the clearcoat under my door handles

You mean like this ?

Kinda. I posted pictures in the first post. Had to run out the door right after i posted it.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Resident crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
fingernails. try any kind of clear coat touch up.
No.. I do not have long enough nails to do that.. :/ i thought maybe it was my keys.. but I have a keyless entry clicker so its not that.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTacomaGirl View Post
No.. I do not have long enough nails to do that.. :/ i thought maybe it was my keys.. but I have a keyless entry clicker so its not that.
I don't have long fingernails but that's what mine seems to be .
Old 10-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your finger nails don't have to be long to cause that.. I can't think of anything else that can cause that type of damage.

Here's a write-up on how to repair it and prevent this from happening in the future..

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22734
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Resident crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
Your finger nails don't have to be long to cause that.. I can't think of anything else that can cause that type of damage.

Here's a write-up on how to repair it and prevent this from happening in the future..

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=22734
My nails are REALLY short alot of times. :/ never had issues with this before on any other vehicle..

Thanks for the post and link. Im looking at it now.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
our paint and clear is really soft.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Some mild polish, a microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease will take care of that. Wax it when you'e done.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Kody is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Grease Monkey
Name: Bryant
Kody's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Yes I used to have the same problem, I got rid of them by using "Once a year" wax they sell it at walmart or autozone, just rub a little and get under the handle with the applicator. Next, DO NOT DIG YOUR NAILS UNDERNEATH THE HANDLE it doesn't matter if you are a dude or a chick this will start scratching the clear coat and dirt is going to build up over time... solution just pull from the handle. Dueces.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Resident crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kody View Post
Yes I used to have the same problem, I got rid of them by using "Once a year" wax they sell it at walmart or autozone, just rub a little and get under the handle with the applicator. Next, DO NOT DIG YOUR NAILS UNDERNEATH THE HANDLE it doesn't matter if you are a dude or a chick this will start scratching the clear coat and dirt is going to build up over time... solution just pull from the handle. Dueces.
I dont DIG my nails into anything. My nails are always short and never long, and I am the only one who drives my truck.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Yo! Wat up peeps?
1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future1Bigbird has a brilliant future

1Bigbird's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont DIG my nails into anything. My nails are always short and never long, and I am the only one who drives my truck.
My gloves that I need to wear in the winter do this much more than my nails do! It's very soft behind the handles.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
something tells me thats your answer to everything, PolishAndWax...
Just about every paint problem can be dealt with using basic tools & products and you don't have to use what we sell.

In fact, if you don't want to use our products in this case, use some Meguiar's M205 and Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
nvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to beholdnvtaco is a splendid one to behold
nvtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Could be from a gold ring?? Go with the least abrasive to start with, a compound is too aggressive to start with, try Mothers cleaner/wax, cheap and very good. If that doesnt work then go to Meguiars compound, its gentle enough to not do too much extra scratching to the paint. If you go that route, make sure you wax it after the compound.
Don't waste your money on Megs scratch x. Never worked for me.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #17
Resident crazy cat lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvtaco View Post
Could be from a gold ring?? Go with the least abrasive to start with, a compound is too aggressive to start with, try Mothers cleaner/wax, cheap and very good. If that doesnt work then go to Meguiars compound, its gentle enough to not do too much extra scratching to the paint. If you go that route, make sure you wax it after the compound.
Don't waste your money on Megs scratch x. Never worked for me.
I dont wear rings on my hands except thumbs and even then it would scratch the handle, not under it. :/
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I dont wear rings on my hands except thumbs and even then it would scratch the handle, not under it. :/
You bought you truck used, right? Maybe it's from the previous owner?

Use a power ball to polish the scratches out and then use 3M clearbra door handle cups for further protection.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Kody is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Grease Monkey
Name: Bryant
Kody's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay TacoGirl I wasn't trying to be rude I'm just saying people do, not all people, but it works for me to just grab the handle, just a suggestion