Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How do you guys wax your truck?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
How do you guys wax your truck?

By hand, with buffer,...and what do you use?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
Try the detailing section.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
On by hand, and off by buffer. And I use Collinite. AWESOME STUFF
Old 10-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Oat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant futureOat has a brilliant future

Marines:
Oat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrd647 View Post
Try the detailing section.
didnt even see the detailing section, thanks ill pm a mod!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack MeHoff
jivewalker's Tacoma Gallery
Wax on, then wax off....j/k...detailing section has a ton of info
Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
austinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud ofaustinstaco has much to be proud of

Name: Austin
austinstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Takes about 8 hrs start to finish, I do it every six months.

1. Mothers California Gold Car Wash
2. Mothers Clay Bar System
3. Mothers Pre-Wax Cleaner (machine)
4. Mothers Sealer & Glaze (machine)
5. Mothers Carnuba Wax (machine)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinstaco View Post

Jesus that's alot of shit! Me......perform step#5 after a quick wash....it's a truck, not a Porsche.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
me gusta pechos firmes
jivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedjivewalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's my method:
  1. If it's totally disgusting, wash with Dawn, if not use a good name brand soap like gold class, etc.
  2. If surface is rough, use clay bar.
  3. If there is swirl marks, use a polish like Nu Finish
  4. TReat your trim before you wax, in case you slip
  5. Use a good carnuba wax last
I do it all by hand. Here's the most important thing, your wash mit must be clean and have never touched the ground. Same with buffing and drying rags. Post pictures when done!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Spray on, wipe off. 20 minutes to do my whole truck.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I've tried alot of the spray synth wax products and they all seem worthless. Finally tried the carnuba spray (Eagle One iirc) and I'm pleeased. I usually use a sealer before winter hits.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Porter Cable 7424 polisher. Once you go to a machine, you will never wax by hand again. I do wax hard to reach places by hand though (grill & foglight holes)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
I've tried alot of the spray synth wax products and they all seem worthless. Finally tried the carnuba spray (Eagle One iirc) and I'm pleeased. I usually use a sealer before winter hits.
Ours is a Carnauba product, similar to Eagle One.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
same here. PC 7424.
Usually wash with a high quality soap. Dry with microfiber towels. If I need to claybar I will. Then take out swirl marks with Klasse all in one, and finally, apply two coats of Klasse sealant.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jivewalker View Post
Here's my method:
  1. If it's totally disgusting, wash with Dawn, if not use a good name brand soap like gold class, etc.
  2. If surface is rough, use clay bar.
  3. If there is swirl marks, use a polish like Nu Finish
  4. TReat your trim before you wax, in case you slip
  5. Use a good carnuba wax last
I do it all by hand. Here's the most important thing, your wash mit must be clean and have never touched the ground. Same with buffing and drying rags. Post pictures when done!
I've heard that using dawn soap on auto paint removes any existing wax and can dull the paint.

To answer the OP's question, I wax by hand with microfiber towels; one towel to apply and one towel to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 View Post
I've heard that using dawn soap on auto paint removes any existing wax and can dull the paint.
Dawn soap (or any similar dish soap) will remove the wax, which is why you have to wax it after the cleaning. Only if you wash with dish soap and do not wax it afterwards, i.e. not protect the paint against the elements, will it dull the paint. The dish soap itself will not dull the paint, and it might actually be a good thing to remove the old wax since small particles and dirt gets imbedded in the wax (which is why the clay bar is a good thing also).

I use automotive car wash soap which includes liquid wax for regular washes when I do not have time to wax afterwards and then a couple times a year do the whole dish soap to strip the wax, clay bar, and reapply new wax routine.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
me gusta pechos firmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Dawn soap (or any similar dish soap) will remove the wax, which is why you have to wax it after the cleaning. Only if you wash with dish soap and do not wax it afterwards, i.e. not protect the paint against the elements, will it dull the paint. The dish soap itself will not dull the paint, and it might actually be a good thing to remove the old wax since small particles and dirt gets imbedded in the wax (which is why the clay bar is a good thing also).

I use automotive car wash soap which includes liquid wax for regular washes when I do not have time to wax afterwards and then a couple times a year do the whole dish soap to strip the wax, clay bar, and reapply new wax routine.
^^^exactly...good to get the contaminants and old wax off first if needed, then sart from fresh with clay, polish, wax...then in the furutre, use a good soap that wont remove as much wax and re-wax afterwards.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #20
Xewkija631 is on a distinguished road
Xewkija631's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinstaco View Post

What kind of machine do you use?