Notices

Removing TRD Stickers

Old 11-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Maestro402 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Maestro402's Tacoma Gallery
Removing TRD Stickers

All

I'm sure there is probably a thread that talks about this and please link it if there is. I just didn't find it right off.

What I'm wanting to do is remove the TRD stickers from the side of my truck. What is the best way to do this???
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
Peel em' off. Use a hair dryer a good distance away to heat them up. They'll come off with just your fingernail.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFK View Post
warm it up with a blow dryer then peel it off, then when its removed go over with goo gone, then wash... easy peasy
Cool, Thanks. That is what I thought needed to be done but figured asking was the best way to know for sure. I guess it'll be easy with the plug in the bed of my truck. woot. :-)
Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog2314 View Post
Peel em' off. Use a hair dryer a good distance away to heat them up. They'll come off with just your fingernail.
A good distance away? Any specific reason? Just wanting to make sure I don't do something stupid. well more stupid than normal.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Also if you use goo gone rub some wax where you removed the stickers.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
3m stripe remover wheel, comes off clean in seconds and completely safe for your paint and clear coat.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro402 View Post
A good distance away? Any specific reason? Just wanting to make sure I don't do something stupid. well more stupid than normal.
The heat can damage your paint (if done wrong), lots will say they did it and it was fine, which is true if you do it right. However it may not always be immediately visible damage. Likewise with chemicals you put on the paint, they may not cause immediate damage, but break down the clear coat properties so it doesn't last as long.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
The heat can damage your paint (if done wrong), lots will say they did it and it was fine, which is true if you do it right. However it may not always be immediately visible damage. Likewise with chemicals you put on the paint, they may not cause immediate damage, but break down the clear coat properties so it doesn't last as long.
Okay .... now i'm scared. ha.

What if i just get an edge and peel them off w/o heat?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay .... now i'm scared. ha.

What if i just get an edge and peel them off w/o heat?
Ha, sorry, don'tbe scared. Like I said, lots of people have done it with no visible damage, i personally prefer the safest method possible, however I am anal about it. If you want to spend the 30 bucks get the 3m wheel, otherwise a good combination of heat, Goo gone, and fingernails works fine. Just don't over heat is the biggest caution and what ever adhesive remover you use make sure it is safe for car paint.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
Quote:
Ha, sorry, don'tbe scared. Like I said, lots of people have done it with no visible damage, i personally prefer the safest method possible, however I am anal about it. If you want to spend the 30 bucks get the 3m wheel, otherwise a good combination of heat, Goo gone, and fingernails works fine. Just don't over heat is the biggest caution and what ever adhesive remover you use make sure it is safe for car paint.
No worries brother. I really appreciate the info. Just for my knowledge where would one get the 3m wheel?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I found it at NAPA auto parts. Just becareful when you find it, make sure it comes with the attachment for your drill, it is about $3 more than just a replacement wheel. The first one I got at O'Reilly was just the wheel, I was able to fashion a drill attachment out of a bolt, but it was easier once I got the attachment.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #14
I already love this forum. Great info guys. I'll go look this weekend.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3m stripe remover wheel, comes off clean in seconds and completely safe for your paint and clear coat.
This ^

That's what I used and it was easy and perfect.

I don't like the idea of taking heat to your paint job... hence the "good distance away"
Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool, Thanks. That is what I thought needed to be done but figured asking was the best way to know for sure. I guess it'll be easy with the plug in the bed of my truck. woot. :-)
Im doing this too this weekend and had forgotten all about that outlet! No need to buy an extension cord now. Im using a heat gun though since I will be removing the badges too.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #17
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Im doing this too this weekend and had forgotten all about that outlet! No need to buy an extension cord now. Im using a heat gun though since I will be removing the badges too.
Use fishing line to slice through the adhesive on the back and then the 3m wheel will remove the residue also.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
For the TRD stickers, I accidentally picked at one corner of one after the truck had been sitting out in the sun for a good hour, and the thing just came right off. It did leave the lines around it that I took some goo gone too and they came right off as well. Just make sure to wax that spot right after, as its practically straight on the paint/clearcoat and has been protected by the sticker.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
For the TRD stickers, I accidentally picked at one corner of one after the truck had been sitting out in the sun for a good hour, and the thing just came right off. It did leave the lines around it that I took some goo gone too and they came right off as well. Just make sure to wax that spot right after, as its practically straight on the paint/clearcoat and has been protected by the sticker.
That's the safest method, but since the OP is in Virginia, it may not get hot enough in the sun this time of year.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
rubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedrubberduckytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: civil engineer
Name: nicholas
rubberduckytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thread jack where can I buy the trd stickers?