Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Is your taco matte black?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #21
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin View Post
Dont paint, Its done with a graphic. I have one on my front bumper valance. See my build thread. If I had a H2......

Nice build man, never thought I'de like a gold taco.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #23
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, it's okay! At least you figured out what you might do, now! A suggestion from a woMAN.

If you do this for sure, don't forget to post pics!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #24
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Hey, it's okay! At least you figured out what you might do, now! A suggestion from a woMAN.

If you do this for sure, don't forget to post pics!
Will do, might get it done sooner seeing as it will be cheaper than paint, one more question though since you do have good knowledge on this, will deep pre-existing scratches be a problem? Im sure they will be noticible even after the wrap is on them, but do they need to be taken care of in order for the wrap to be applied properly?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #25
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Should be fine. The wrap will stretch over it and not make it look so deep. There shouldn't be air bubbles if that is what your concern is.

But then again I don't install it. kcrob would know better than I.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #26

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Should be fine. The wrap will stretch over it and not make it look so deep. There shouldn't be air bubbles if that is what your concern is.

But then again I don't install it. kcrob would know better than I.
Air bubbles were my concern, well all does sound good. Ill see if there is a shop in my town that does it when Im ready, if not I will be going down to LA, Im sure there is a reputable shop there that handles this, thank you all for your input.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #27
slingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to beholdslingshot5r is a splendid one to behold

Army:
Name: Matt
slingshot5r's Tacoma Gallery
Old picture taken in July or so, but here's mine, i love it. Painted. Difficult at times to maintain, but worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #28

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot5r View Post
Old picture taken in July or so, but here's mine, i love it. Painted. Difficult at times to maintain, but worth it.

That is puuuuurrrdyyy
Old 12-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #29
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Will do, might get it done sooner seeing as it will be cheaper than paint, one more question though since you do have good knowledge on this, will deep pre-existing scratches be a problem? Im sure they will be noticible even after the wrap is on them, but do they need to be taken care of in order for the wrap to be applied properly?
Deep ones will show. They will not look as bad but they will show. Normally with printed graphics a beat up car will look like it has no body damage at all. Best thing to do if they are real bad is just fill in any dents that you do not want to show and primer that spot and wrap it. No more work needed
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
Pacific Rim Mushrooms
takaya49 will become famous soon enoughtakaya49 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brent
takaya49's Tacoma Gallery
a few hundred bucks? i was quoted a few grand... any names of places that do it? WA state
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #31
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takaya49 View Post
a few hundred bucks? i was quoted a few grand... any names of places that do it? WA state
Not up there. I could get you guys in Texas though.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #32
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot5r View Post
GOD DAMMIT MOAR
Old 12-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
where in texas? i wanna do mine, not in black necessarily but thinking
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #34
Choot It!

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznutx View Post
where in texas? i wanna do mine, not in black necessarily but thinking
I'm near Houston but I have a guy that installed a wrap for me on a 2010 silverado for $275. I printed the materials when I had the company going but he wrapped the entire truck in a little under 3 hours. The reason the matte black is so cheap is because there is no printing involved. Find a Fellers dealer and look at the different "Paint Job Vinyls" they carry. Have lots of cool colors, candy colors, and so forth and so on

http://www.fellers.com/catalog/nopri...ndex.html#/15/

Page 15 is all the different vinyls...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, i hope there's one that cheap in dallas, do you have to declare with the dmv/dps if your color changed too much like more than 50%? thought i read it somewhere
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
best part of wrapping is quick color change after robbing a bank

Old 12-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #37
____livevil____
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrob1 View Post
Dude wrap it! I install car wraps and with flat black it is the only way to go. The average wrap vinyl is good for 5 yrs (printed). A solid color like matte will last for 7 to 10. Its easy to apply and remove. If ever anything happens and you scratch it or need to replace a piece, you can replace just the panel and you will always have a perfectly even finish. Also when you go to sell it you will have a brand new paint job underneath and get WAY more money. Also it should only cost a a couple hundred bucks and take about 3 hrs to install. It will hold up to wheeling 10 times better than paint because like I said, peel and restick...
Thats awesome.. I'm intrigued now. Lol. I Wonder what flat white would look like...
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #39

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
I know a guy who had his Magnum Vinyl wrapped in flat black for around $1000.
Hopefully I can get it done cheaper than that
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #40
Choot It!

kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznutx View Post
awesome, i hope there's one that cheap in dallas, do you have to declare with the dmv/dps if your color changed too much like more than 50%? thought i read it somewhere
Not that I've ever heard of. It is not a permanent change so they wouldn't be able to say anything about that.

Oh and Sunner about the bubble worries. This is a special vinyl that you can put on the car and peel off and restick alot while installing. Until you run a squeege across it, it will not be stuck. The cool thing about the vinyl is it has microscopic holes, I'm talking thousands in a sq in. This allows it to stretch and still adhere. On flat spots you can have a bubble the size of cd or even bigger and the holes allow the air to escape. So when you run a squeege across it you will have a nice flat wrap with no bubbles.