Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Is your taco matte black?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Is your taco matte black?

Been considering painting mine matte black eventually, found some pictures on google of some, has anyone here done it and is it really a hard paint color to maintane?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Why don't you wrap it instead? Temporary until you are sure that you want it flat black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LPfHk3gKo
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
check out username's truck
now that's some flat black.. i think it's rhino lined, but it looks sick as hell.. aha
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Why don't you wrap it instead?
Honestly did not know that was an option, I am going to have my CBR wrapped, should have figured people do it for cars too. Seems sketchy though, I would imagine there are more cons to pros, Ill have to look into it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
yes it's actually quite hard to paint anything flat black and have it look perfect. imo line-xtra thats what i'm doing you can have them adjust the level of sheen on your application so if you want flat black there you go.

lol i'm going for the shiny side of things with my line-xtra
Your going to have bedliner sprayed on your truck? Thats badass
Old 11-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Honestly did not know that was an option, I am going to have my CBR wrapped, should have figured people do it for cars too. Seems sketchy though, I would imagine there are more cons to pros, Ill have to look into it.

I edited my post to include a video.

My friends in the Lexus Club will often wrap their cars for car shows. It's pretty durable, and it's hard to tell if it's paint or not unless its a terrible job. The coolest part is that it peels off without damage when you change your mind. I think the longest one of my friends had was two years. Went through car washes and everything and never peeled.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Pacific Rim Mushrooms
takaya49 will become famous soon enoughtakaya49 will become famous soon enough

Name: Brent
takaya49's Tacoma Gallery
ive been considering this for a while.. if you do paint it.. let us know cost and where you got it...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #9

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I edited my post to include a video.

My friends in the Lexus Club will often wrap their cars for car shows. It's pretty durable, and it's hard to tell if it's paint or not unless its a terrible job. The coolest part is that it peels off without damage when you change your mind. I think the longest one of my friends had was two years. Went through car washes and everything and never peeled.
That is freaking cool man. How do you think it holds up to grinding up against brush and trees?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #10

Quote:
That is freaking cool man. How do you think it holds up to grinding up against brush and trees?
Well um.......I wouldn't use it for wheeling...

Here's how to remove it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbNixwiv8gg
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #11
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Username's

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3500194

Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #12

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well um.......I wouldn't use it for wheeling...

Here's how to remove it.
Cant believe I never knew about this. But doesnt look like it will serve my purpose. I will be wheeling with my truck alot. Might just be a bad idea considering matte black. Thanks for the input though man, appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 PM   #13

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post

Very beastly looking truck, but like someone mentioned above, seems hard to get it right, looks a little darker in some spots, might just be since its dirty
Old 11-30-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
Bobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobber Bill is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bobber Bill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
HAHAHAHA! sorry... hahahaha

On a serious note, vinyl's pretty tough stuff. It'll hold up to most things short of a razor blade physically. It'll do a good job of protecting the paint underneath, but the vinyl itself can get scratched just like paint. Just make sure you use a good quality material (not that printed graphic BS). I've only used 3M Di-noc vinyl myself, with their 94 primer underneath. I'm pretty sure that's the stuff out there
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Dont paint, Its done with a graphic. I have one on my front bumper valance. See my build thread. If I had a H2......

Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Dude wrap it! I install car wraps and with flat black it is the only way to go. The average wrap vinyl is good for 5 yrs (printed). A solid color like matte will last for 7 to 10. Its easy to apply and remove. If ever anything happens and you scratch it or need to replace a piece, you can replace just the panel and you will always have a perfectly even finish. Also when you go to sell it you will have a brand new paint job underneath and get WAY more money. Also it should only cost a a couple hundred bucks and take about 3 hrs to install. It will hold up to wheeling 10 times better than paint because like I said, peel and restick...
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 PM   #17

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFF BILL View Post
HAHAHAHA! sorry... hahahaha

On a serious note, vinyl's pretty tough stuff. It'll hold up to most things short of a razor blade physically. It'll do a good job of protecting the paint underneath, but the vinyl itself can get scratched just like paint. Just make sure you use a good quality material (not that printed graphic BS). I've only used 3M Dinoc vinyl myself, with their 94 primer underneath. I'm pretty sure that's the stuff out there
HAHa, yeah you know what Im talking about. It may be worth a shot, whats the worst that can happen, Ill have to peel it off.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Cant believe I never knew about this. But doesnt look like it will serve my purpose. I will be wheeling with my truck alot. Might just be a bad idea considering matte black. Thanks for the input though man, appreciate it.
Sure no problem, chickie poo.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #19

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrob1 View Post
Dude wrap it! I install car wraps and with flat black it is the only way to go. The average wrap vinyl is good for 5 yrs (printed). A solid color like matte will last for 7 to 10. Its easy to apply and remove. If ever anything happens and you scratch it or need to replace a piece, you can replace just the panel and you will always have a perfectly even finish. Also when you go to sell it you will have a brand new paint job underneath and get WAY more money. Also it should only cost a a couple hundred bucks and take about 3 hrs to install.

SOLD!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #20

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure no problem, chickie poo.

I apologize for reffering to you as a 'man'. I was only forced to look at your gender after the chickie poo comment. Sorry miss.