Notices

Painting Grill Emblem and Wheels

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Mildly-Attractive
CarlosinFL is on a distinguished road
Name: Carlos
CarlosinFL's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Grill Emblem and Wheels

I've seen a few Tacoma's around town here who have flat black Toyota front grill emblems and I wanted to give this a shot. I don't know how hard it is to remove the grill or emblem or even if it's necessary to do so. Do you guys have any recommendations? I did some research before I asked and I see a lot of YouTube videos with a product called "Plasti Dip" but I wanted to ask here since I trust fellow Tacoma owners. I also wouldn't mind doing the rear lettering on my 2002 PreRunner.

Also what do you recommend on the wheels? Can I use the same stuff on my wheels as well or should I get them powder coated?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
plastidip is good for temporary stuff, it tends to scratch up pretty good when you go off road, on the wheels, i use painters touch 2x coat flat black and it works like a dream, i don't sand the rims or anything, just wipe em off with some alcohol to get all the dirt off, plasti dip will work well on the emblems
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
plastidip is good for temporary stuff, it tends to scratch up pretty good when you go off road, on the wheels, i use painters touch 2x coat flat black and it works like a dream, i don't sand the rims or anything, just wipe em off with some alcohol to get all the dirt off, plasti dip will work well on the emblems
Do you have alloy wheels?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
GoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoDeacsWFU23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
GoDeacsWFU23's Tacoma Gallery
use dupli color bed liner spray. it gives it a flat textured look
Old 12-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking to just paint the front Toyota emblem it just pops out, I used a black rattle can specifically for plastics, did a few coats then a couple coats of clear coat.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Do you have alloy wheels?
yes i have the alloy OR rims for 2nd gens
Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
I'd rather be hunting!
huntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhuntark03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
huntark03's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion is that plasti dip is best for the front emblem, as road grit and rocks tend to chip the paint on the front emblem.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
I would use regular flat black spray paint for the emblem
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
yes i have the alloy OR rims for 2nd gens
How is the paint job holding up?
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
4bangeronabudget is on a distinguished road
Army:
4bangeronabudget's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine ill try and get up a pic ( I've been here a while so i figured it time to chime in.
Attached Thumbnails
Painting Grill Emblem and Wheels-image.jpg