Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

hand wash it, or automatic car wash (pros and cons)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
haha yep
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
They all have their benefits. I personally like touchless car washes to get the dirt off with a quick coat of silicone. They work well for washing the magnesium chloride/urea off the paint when the deicer gets rained on. It doesn't work well with a truck that has freshly been spray waxed (the spray detailer protectant) because it makes the dirt stick. But the protectant also repels dirt also.

I also like Washman Carwash for days that I cannot wash my truck (eg nursing student stuff, being busy) They don't use brushes and their car wash is pretty gentle.

My ideal car wash is a hand wash.

I hate those freaking brushes they use before the truck enters the car wash. I can hadle the rotating ones, but not those damn broom-style ones that can dent your car because they guys are careless with them. One of the touchless carwashes (semi-automated one) has a guy that sprays high pressure soap on the truck and it works really well.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #23
Tylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud ofTylerm5000 has much to be proud of
Name: Tyler
Tylerm5000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
If you have to take it somewhere, use a touchless or hand wash place.

Even so, I've seen both methods miss spots and when the guys come by with their drying cloths, they just wipe the dirty areas which scratches the paint.

In either case, wax it when you're done, as they use very aggressive soaps that take the wax off.

Can you wash it with warm water and then pull it into the garage to dry it?
Damn right. But they are useful when you absolutely have to wash your truck in a hurry. De-icer is nasty stuff no matter what it is made of. I always ask them to not hand dry my truck.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #24
pbaxTACO is on a distinguished road

pbaxTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Along these same lines, I am without a good touchless car wash in area. Tried to go to one of the drive-thru places today (why I did I will touch upon in a moment), and they would not allow open bed trucks. So, turned away from two different locations.

Why I was willing to settle for the drive-thru one: I am in an apartment with no hose access outside right now. So, anyone have ideas on car wash right now? Drive-thru a no go. No hose. Touchless about a 45 min drive (unless someone knows of one near DC). And don't want to fork over the dough for a detail job, as the truck is brand new and just a bit dirty on the outside from normal driving.

Bucket of water from the house? One with soap, next to rinse it off? Sucks not being able to wash my own car in the winter months.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
last time I went to the auto carwash I got a couple of new chips in the paint

I guess some shit gets caught in the 'bristles' of the giant brush things and smack against the paint.

But...its a truck...oh well.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
I personally never run any of my vehicles through an auto car wash, Mainly because of the harsh bristles and over use of pressure in sensitive spots. Like taking your antenna and bending it to hell. I personally am against auto car washes. Wont use them and anyone who does is retarded. No offense. Your 20K truck deserves a hand wash, At least with a pressure washer. Come on people!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #27
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
i understand wanting to have a nice truck and all but...

I mean damn it's a TRUCK not a Ferrari. Scratches are going to happen if you use it as one.

I'm not gonna freeze my ass off outside to avoid a small light scratch in the clear coat. If you so are so anal aboyt it get the whole truck buffed in the spring when you can start hand washing it again.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #28
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
If i had a ferrari, Id have enough to hire a professional detailer and a heated car wash that was inside my garage. Still Toyota doesnt have great REP when it comes to paint so i prefer to do a good job and get it real nice and clean, Besides those auto car washes can really SUCK sometimes when it comes to getting the truck clean. To each his own though, i guess i just really like to take care of my posessions maybe a little to much!
Old 01-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Only auto car wash I would use are the ones with the wands you do yourself.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #30
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
give the truck the ol hand job
Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #31
roadking1 is on a distinguished road
roadking1's Tacoma Gallery
Retarded for using an automatic car wash....Really?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #32
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaxTACO View Post

Bucket of water from the house? One with soap, next to rinse it off? Sucks not being able to wash my own car in the winter months.

Thanks.
I've never used this stuff, but people rave about it (it got 5 stars on Amazon too):

http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R.../dp/B000E9TS6O
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #33
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishntaco View Post
Look into a product called Optimum No Rinse. You can wash in a garage if you have one as there is no need for a water hose. Just wash with the mitt and then dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
I've never used this stuff, but people rave about it (it got 5 stars on Amazon too):

http://www.amazon.com/32oz-Optimum-R.../dp/B000E9TS6O
I'll say from personal experience, without any rinsing of the vehicle this product leaves no swirls. Be sure to follow measurements carefully and ensure to wash up to down, front to back, ect. I use scalding hot bath water in my bucket, keeps my hands nice and warm even in winter months and eats the film right off the truck.

I wash my truck once a week with this product, even very dirty this product leaves no swirls! Takes ten minutes to wash the entire truck!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
ระดับอาวุโส สมาชิกอาวุโส
dYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the sheddYL0n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dyl0n
dYL0n's Tacoma Gallery
I give my truck personal hand jobs. Sometimes I lay under him and rub it. I'm so anal about it being clean.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #35
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Hand wash if I have the time and weather

Automatic car wash if I don't
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #36
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I'd hand wash mine if I could but living in apartments I don't have that option so I have to do automatic.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #37
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
I use scalding hot bath water in my bucket, keeps my hands nice and warm even in winter months and eats the film right off the truck.
That's a good way to remove a wax job.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
TRDyota09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jabin
TRDyota09's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, the ol' hand job or the auto blower.... I guess it just depends on how wet you wanna get her! I prefer the ol hand job, she likes it when I rub on her!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #39
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't waxed in three months or so and still have a great bead.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
You live in the southeast. Just wait till it gets warm again. It hit 75 today.

Products Discussed in this Thread