Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

hand wash it, or automatic car wash (pros and cons)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #41
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I use the automatic car wash on base during the winter, but I take the antenna off first. It doesn't f##k up the paint any more that driving around in New Mexico does. If you're gonna' hand wash when it's cold, that trick of filling the bucket with hot water really helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #42
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Haven't waxed in three months or so and still have a great bead.
Are you using a wax or sealant? Carnauba and heat do not mix. Warm water is okay, but idk about scalding hot, as you say.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #43
pbaxTACO is on a distinguished road

pbaxTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
I'll say from personal experience, without any rinsing of the vehicle this product leaves no swirls. Be sure to follow measurements carefully and ensure to wash up to down, front to back, ect. I use scalding hot bath water in my bucket, keeps my hands nice and warm even in winter months and eats the film right off the truck.

I wash my truck once a week with this product, even very dirty this product leaves no swirls! Takes ten minutes to wash the entire truck!
Thanks! Going to order some and give it a try.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #44
JstreetS will become famous soon enoughJstreetS will become famous soon enough

Name: Jay
JstreetS's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if my truck would fit
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #45
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I always hand wash my vehicles. I added an outside hot water spigot at my house that I use when the weather is cooler here in GA. I've washed my vehicles in sub freezing temps. and then dry off inside the garage.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:07 AM   #46
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Always hand wash our vehicles, only thing good about car washes is they use less water thn when you use the hose(that's what studies show)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #47
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
Are you using a wax or sealant? Carnauba and heat do not mix. Warm water is okay, but idk about scalding hot, as you say.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The water is warm by the time it makes contact with the vehicle. I run it scalding hot in the bath so by the time I make my trip in the freezing weather the water is still warm, thus allowing me to wash without loosing fingers to frostbite.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #48
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
If you have to take it somewhere, use a touchless or hand wash place.

Even so, I've seen both methods miss spots and when the guys come by with their drying cloths, they just wipe the dirty areas which scratches the paint.

In either case, wax it when you're done, as they use very aggressive soaps that take the wax off.

Can you wash it with warm water and then pull it into the garage to dry it?
Exactly.

Dragging drying towels over a still dirty surface is pretty much equal to sanding it, and you can always tell a (darker) vehicle that has gone through them...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #49
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Simply spraying off with an automated machine, then using a used, dirty towel to dry is a nightmare for paint.

Don't ever go to one!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #50
angdefeo is on a distinguished road
angdefeo's Tacoma Gallery
Just to add some more information about the automatic car wash. The spinning brushes and towel like machines leave fine scratches in the clear coat. You can notice what i am talking about in the picture on thei link: http://media.photobucket.com/image/m...r/IMG_0767.jpg

On the left side of the picture you see the really fine lines. You will only notice these type of scratches if you look at your body panels in high light at certain angles.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #51
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #52
Crusher69 is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
Crusher69's Tacoma Gallery
i use the wand on it and have no worrys
Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #53
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
If I ever can't do it myself I have to agree about going to a touchless place, and I always carry enough detail gear with me to clean up the areas missed by the wash itself...and that way I can also dry it completely as well, tire shine, whatever else I need to do. I live in western WA state so it rains roughly 7-8 months out of the year. I still wash my vehicles about once a week.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #54
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
If I ever can't do it myself I have to agree about going to a touchless place, and I always carry enough detail gear with me to clean up the areas missed by the wash itself...and that way I can also dry it completely as well, tire shine, whatever else I need to do. I live in western WA state so it rains roughly 7-8 months out of the year. I still wash my vehicles about once a week.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #55
Backinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBackinblack03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Backinblack03's Tacoma Gallery
Define "COLD"? It was in the 30s yesterday and windy as anything and I still washed the truck with a T-shirt on... You silly non-New Englanders!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
bobbybreach is on a distinguished road
Air Force: fire team leader
Name: bobby
bobbybreach's Tacoma Gallery
$20 at the touch free place. You can't beat it! Wash wax vacuumed tire shine and dash cleaner! It takes about 15 min. I used to only hand wash no matter how cold or hot but now I'm getting older and have less time so to me it's worth it
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #57
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
I have a contract for $32/month for a unlimited number of premium exterior washes at the automatic car wash with hand drying and wheel dressing. It's expensive but I love it. I have zero swirl marks. If a car wash left marks on the cars they would be out of business. I have a black truck and it come out perfect. I go there 1-3 times a week.

Products Discussed in this Thread