Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

hand wash it, or automatic car wash (pros and cons)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
hand wash it, or automatic car wash (pros and cons)

how does everyone here keep their ride clean in the winter months. i am itching to go wash the truck but its cold as sh*t outside!!! i just cant fathom the idea of driving my mint condition 2011 truck through a car wash
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Swirl marks, broken antenna's, scratches.... The list goes on and on why I don't take my truck through a drive through car wash.

I use the pressure washer car washes with a bucket during the winter months just to get the grime off...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Toyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyoghi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shoghi
Toyoghi's Tacoma Gallery
Don't even think about it. Drive through car washes will scratch the shit outta your car.

Thinking about that makes my stomach turn.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i use a brush-less auto wash in the winter
Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

good point Rob.....i got a stubby antenna but still you know...just the thought !!!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #6

i just need to put my thermal underwear on and go for it huh?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
nobackhair is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
nobackhair's Tacoma Gallery
Had a forest green 4Rnr I bought new in 95. Took it thru an automatic and it scratched the crap out of it. Took most of day to polish it out. Asked a guy that had a detail shop for 27 yrs. and he said he highly recommends staying away from them. Fight the cold or do the alternative.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

thanks nobackhair...by the way, do you shave your back?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
I take to a hand wash detailer when its cold out.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
hand wash is way better, i had to buy a new antenna because the automatic one broke it
Old 12-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #11

there is one around here called a Wiki Wiki car wash....some people swear by it..but i dunno
Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
if you plan on going into any auto washer, brushless or not, i highly recommend putting some glue on those plastic caps on the back bumper that cover those bolts near the hitch
Old 12-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I take my lifted Tacoma to the car wash all the time.

Some pros. 20minutes, clean inside and out. $20. Think about that. Your time is worth money...plus, after you've been skiing or wheeling, it's still $20. More if you want happy ending or to have the interior shampooed.

If you wheel your truck, it's going to get scratched. Park it in a lot and some asswipe is going to rub up against it, drive it in the snow and you'll get dirt/salt/whatever all over it or just because they jelly, someone might key it. The chances it's going to get scratched at a reputable car wash are pretty minimal. If you do find a scratch, it's probably more likely it came from someplace else and washing the truck exposed it.

I've been taking my truck and my car to the local car wash for years. No scratches. Of course, your mileage may vary but my results are pretty consistent.

Oh, and washing it with a power washer is likely to do more harm if you're not careful.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
My local gas station has a touchless car wash but they have a $5 option where it does just an undercarriage wash and pressure washes the truck. I usually do that when I don't feel like hand washing it or if has just rained and I want to get the mud off of the rocker panels.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Look into a product called Optimum No Rinse. You can wash in a garage if you have one as there is no need for a water hose. Just wash with the mitt and then dry.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
RLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedRLDTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
RLDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I hand wash my truck no matter if its 95 or 35 degrees outside. Glad we don't get many 35's in south Texas.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I use Touchless Car Wash (try to find one with a good under-sprayer) during the winter months. And then every couple weeks (depending on the weather) I take to a U-Wash and give it a really good wash.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #18

i took my @ss outside and froze but got it washed boys! BY HAND! no signs of pneumonia so far...but will update tomorrow
Old 12-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
If you have to take it somewhere, use a touchless or hand wash place.

Even so, I've seen both methods miss spots and when the guys come by with their drying cloths, they just wipe the dirty areas which scratches the paint.

In either case, wax it when you're done, as they use very aggressive soaps that take the wax off.

Can you wash it with warm water and then pull it into the garage to dry it?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #20
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDTACO View Post
I hand wash my truck no matter if its 95 or 35 degrees outside. Glad we don't get many 35's in south Texas.
the 115 days suck to but its worth it lol

Products Discussed in this Thread