Notices

Plastidip Haze?

Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
//TRD
GeauxTigers is on a distinguished road

Name: Caleb
GeauxTigers's Tacoma Gallery
Plastidip Haze?

Recently (about 1 month ago) I plastidipped my badges on my truck. I left the badges on the truck and taped around them, but apparently didnt tape off the area enough. I just noticed tonight after washing and quick detailing that theres a haze from the plastidip because i didnt tape off a wide enough area. Any advice on the best way to remove this textured haze without damaging the paint? Thanks!

Old 12-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Is it the plastidip itself? Just get a rag that has some texture to it and rub like hell, that's what I did with mine. I never taped off anything, waste of time. The stuff peels off so easy.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
//TRD

im pretty sure its plastidip, but its just a real fine mist. the only REALLLLY smooth part of paint on my whole truck though is where i taped off for the plastidip. maybe i just need to tape my whole truck up and thatll rip off all the road grime or plasti dip.. or maybe i need a realllly good wax job. lol

also.. im scared to rub too terribly hard with a rag on black paint..
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
wash and clay it.

it will take it off, and the road grime if thats what it is

Justin
Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
//TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
wash and clay it.

Justin
thanks justin. i figured i'd probably have to clay it, but have absolutely no experience doing it. looks pretty tough. lol
Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTigers View Post
thanks justin. i figured i'd probably have to clay it, but have absolutely no experience doing it. looks pretty tough. lol

super easy to do, just wax the area after since teh clay will take the wax off.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html

I always just use car soap and water to as a clay lube. Just wash it, rinse, then go over the area with the wash mitt and rub the clay bar over the area.

if you drop it, throw it out, it will pick up all kind of crap that you dont want to drag on you paint

Justin
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by My68ur8trd View Post
wash and clay it.

Justin
Black truck, OP probably won't be able to just wash, clay and walk away. You'll most likely need an additional step of a polish like Meguiar's ultimate compound, then a good wax or sealant. Clay barring does actually leave very fine scratches on the paint's surface. On light color trucks, they aren't visible but they could be visible on a black truck.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Fast Cars, Off-Road Trucks, and Hott Women ;)
Taco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco.VR4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medical Corps
Name: Jake
Taco.VR4's Tacoma Gallery
Ya you shouldn't have to go as extreme as clay, I would try some aggressive rubbing (no homo) then maybe soap... at least before trying clay.

Lesson for the future: there is no such thing as too much masking!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Black truck, OP probably won't be able to just wash, clay and walk away. You'll most likely need an additional step of a polish like Meguiar's ultimate compound, then a good wax or sealant. Clay barring does actually leave very fine scratches on the paint's surface. On light color trucks, they aren't visible but they could be visible on a black truck.
this
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Mr. Magoo
MonkeyChief is on a distinguished road

Name: Citizen #1839-7634-001
MonkeyChief's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I vote for this