Notices

Best Leather Seat Cleaner/Preserver

Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
sfhunter is on a distinguished road

Marines: Grunt
Name: Tom
sfhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Best Leather Seat Cleaner/Preserver

Hey Everyone, I wanted to know what everyone has had the best luck using to clean/preserve their leather seats. I was told that Armoral sucks and will eventually crack.

I am in the process of looking for some good seat covers (without spending $500 on them), so until I do I need to keep them looking sharp and protected. By the way, I do some swamp hunting so they do get wet and dirty from time to time.

Thanks for all suggestions!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Lexol.

I use their leather cleaner (orange bottle), the conditioner (brown bottle), and Vinylex, Their vinyl protectant for my dash (blue bottle)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
sfhunter is on a distinguished road

Marines: Grunt
Name: Tom
sfhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response! I'll have to try those products.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Leatherique or Leather Master. Those are the best available assuming you have real leather seats and not coated (where the cleaner/protectant wont penetrate).
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Clean with Woolite 10:1 first. Then another vote for Leather Masters. Most important thing is to keep them clean.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
alwaysat8k's Tacoma Gallery
meguairs gold class is crap, and so is lexol. ive used both and have had the same issue -both very greasy and leave your leather extremely shiny. they both will clog the living hell out of your pours. leatherique is where its at. its expensive, but it works like a champ. will leave your leather clean and soft, and dull.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
To those of you using leatherique, are you using the rejuvenator oil, or the pristine clean, or both?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...efix=Leatheriq
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
My truck is slow
alwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shedalwaysat8k is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
To those of you using leatherique, are you using the rejuvenator oil, or the pristine clean, or both?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...efix=Leatheriq
i used both about 4-5x a year. i didnt drive the car very much though. i would expect to use it more with a daily driver. you dont use much per application. get the kit - its worth it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysat8k View Post
meguairs gold class is crap, and so is lexol. ive used both and have had the same issue -both very greasy and leave your leather extremely shiny. they both will clog the living hell out of your pours. leatherique is where its at. its expensive, but it works like a champ. will leave your leather clean and soft, and dull.
First time I've heard that lexol is crap. Everyone I have spoken to and the reviews I've read all highly recommend it. BMW recommends it and includes a bottle when you buy a new BMW, Toyota also recommends lexol and sells it at my local dealership.

I will agree that the gold class stuff is junk and does leave a greasy residue. I have used it before and didn't like it very much.

You must be using too much and/or not following the directions. I have never had a greasy issue with lexol and the shiny look goes away within a few minutes after wiping off any residual. The shiny look also depends on the leather. Some leathers are naturally shinier than others.

I spray a little bit on a terry cloth, rub it in to the seats. Then once I'm done I flip the towel over to a clean side and wipe all the seats down again to remove any residual that didn't get worked in.

I'm only about halfway through a bottle of Lexol conditioner I bought 2 years ago and I condition the seats in my double cab about once a month to every other month.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
First time I've heard that lexol is crap. Everyone I have spoken to and the reviews I've read all highly recommend it. BMW recommends it and includes a bottle when you buy a new BMW, Toyota also recommends lexol and sells it at my local dealership.

I will agree that the gold class stuff is junk and does leave a greasy residue. I have used it before and didn't like it very much.

You must be using too much and/or not following the directions. I have never had a greasy issue with lexol and the shiny look goes away within a few minutes after wiping off any residual. The shiny look also depends on the leather. Some leathers are naturally shinier than others.

I spray a little bit on a terry cloth, rub it in to the seats. Then once I'm done I flip the towel over to a clean side and wipe all the seats down again to remove any residual that didn't get worked in.

I'm only about halfway through a bottle of Lexol conditioner I bought 2 years ago and I condition the seats in my double cab about once a month to every other month.
Dealerships may recommend treatments - but they are not always right. I just bought my new 2012 Tacoma and the paint had more swirl marks than a peppermint.

Leather should NOT be shiny. Pleather/Vinyl - yes. I dont care what type of leather it is, shinyness is clogged pours which is dryness which = cracking.

I detail on the side, Ive tried numerous leather cleaners. I'm very tedious to following the directions. I want the best results for my customers.

Its not always the initial results of lexol, its the latter results. My friend has a 09 challenger and upon initial use, his leather looked wonderful. 1 month down the road=shiny plastic like leather. The durability is just not to my par.

I cant say Ive tried it on all leather types, but i did not have successful results with BMW leather, Dodge leather, nor Toyota.

To each is their own, and its just my opinion upon my uses as followed by directions. If it works for you, great! I hate it lol. Leatherique kit is 60$, comes with a cleaner, brush, wash mitts, and conditioner. It has worked outstanding on every vehicle I have used it on since. I heat the seats, work the cleaner in. Cover the seats with plastic wrap, let them sit for a few hours. Clean the seats with the brush and microfiber rag. Apply the conditioner. And buff with water. Works amazing.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
dde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Staff Sergeant, POL
dde0485's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysat8k View Post
Leather should NOT be shiny. Pleather/Vinyl - yes. I dont care what type of leather it is, shinyness is clogged pours which is dryness which = cracking.
Just bought my truck from a Toyota dealership and the seats are gleaming, and now cracking will the leatherique clean out the stuff they used? Hope so since I just bought the kit upon your recommendation! also, how is it on repairing the cracks? they aren't major yet but I'm hoping they will smooth out and "heal" somewhat.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Some pretty good advice here.

Leatherique and Leather Masters are great companies with great products for leather cleaning and conditioning. 1Z Einszett makes a great all in one product if you are wanting convenience.

Using a water/mix solution of Optimum Power Clean or Woolite can make for some good cleaning solutions as well. If you do heavy cleaning on leather, be sure not to saturate the leather. The coatings are not great at withstanding saturation without degradation.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #14
My truck is slow
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dde0485 View Post
Just bought my truck from a Toyota dealership and the seats are gleaming, and now cracking will the leatherique clean out the stuff they used? Hope so since I just bought the kit upon your recommendation! also, how is it on repairing the cracks? they aren't major yet but I'm hoping they will smooth out and "heal" somewhat.
You will be surprised. That cleaning agent will pull all the sediment and leather crap that is in the seats. If the cracks have penatrated completely through the leather I suggest taking them to a professional for repair. If not, the leatherique should lighten the crease/cracks quite well. I've had great results, especially when I had my M3.

Now i have no leather and quit detailing on the side. It's a lot of work and doesn't pay. So, my leatherique kit sits .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
Some pretty good advice here.

Leatherique and Leather Masters are great companies with great products for leather cleaning and conditioning. 1Z Einszett makes a great all in one product if you are wanting convenience.

Using a water/mix solution of Optimum Power Clean or Woolite can make for some good cleaning solutions as well. If you do heavy cleaning on leather, be sure not to saturate the leather. The coatings are not great at withstanding saturation without degradation.
I heard woo lite works. Never used it. As for einszett, I used their chemical prewash for the vehicle exterior and it was nothing shy of excellent. They are expensive from what I can remember. Best of luck to you DDE, if you need any more help shoot me a PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
madtrucker is on a distinguished road

Name: Duncan
madtrucker's Tacoma Gallery
I use saddle soap & water to clean leather. Then treat with Lexol.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
trust me. well worth the money. works amazingly well and the smell is amazing.
adams products are the only ones i use anymore. they have spent YEARS formulating this stuff perfectly.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-a...r-cleaner.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-66-ad...nditioner.aspx
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
dde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddde0485 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Staff Sergeant, POL
dde0485's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
trust me. well worth the money. works amazingly well and the smell is amazing.
adams products are the only ones i use anymore. they have spent YEARS formulating this stuff perfectly.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-a...r-cleaner.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-66-ad...nditioner.aspx
I dunno if I can trust an AGE guy... haha just kidding, I'll check it out. Do they sell the adams polishes at auto zone or just online?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #18
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dde0485 View Post
I dunno if I can trust an AGE guy... haha just kidding, I'll check it out. Do they sell the adams polishes at auto zone or just online?
Age is he only flight line people you should trust lmao.

No it's online only. It is the higher quality, best bang for your buck stuff out there