Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Anything I can do to help a shift knob off gas?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Anything I can do to help a shift knob off gas?

I have no idea if this is the right forum or not but I bought a tranny shift knob similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-TRD-Leat...item1c231d312e

It was made in Taiwan and has that awful China manufacturing smell. It's so bad I couldn't install it in my truck yet. It's in the garage right now trying to air out.

Is there anything I can do, like 303 aerospace it, to help facilitate it not smelling like a chemical/glue/horrible factory?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Mr. Magoo
MonkeyChief is on a distinguished road

Name: Citizen #1839-7634-001
MonkeyChief's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try running under a hair dryer for a few minutes to see if you can help the glue or whatever dry a bit.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808TRDTaco10 View Post
Put it in a small airtight container with one of those small car air freshners for a few days.
Now it smells like China factory glue and vanilla

Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Install it and leave your windows down whenever you can.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
set it outside for a few days where the sun can get to it
maybe sprinkle a little baking soda on it too?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Now it smells like China factory glue and vanilla

lol try some colonge?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #9

I'm afraid to apply direct heat (hair dryer, etc...) I don't want to dry out the leather. I already live in a brutally arid climate as is.

I read online that a good leather conditioner is a 1:1 ratio of linseed oil and distilled white vinegar. I know the latter is an excellent deodorizer so I will go ahead with that.

The only problem is it's the fucking glue that reeks, not the leather, so I don't know how effective a solution it will be.

I may just have to wait for warmer temps and leave the knob out in the sunlight/heat for a few days.