Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

De-badging and 'shadowing'

View Poll Results: Do you have 'shadowing' after de-badging?
De-badged within first 6 months, NO SHADOWING 16 29.09%
De-badged within first 6 months, HAVE SHADOWING 1 1.82%
De-badged b/n 6 months - 1 year, NO SHADOWING 3 5.45%
De-badged b/n 6 months - 1 year, HAVE SHADOWING 1 1.82%
De-badged after 1 year, NO SHADOWING 23 41.82%
De-badged after 1 year, HAVE SHADOWING 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
De-badging and 'shadowing'

Hi All,

For those who have de-badged, did you guys have a residual 'shadowing' leftover on the truck? I want to de-badge my taco and was wondering what the chances are that I will see 'shadowing' of the old emblems.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
NBHNC
Rusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRusty 06 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty
Rusty 06 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Fades View Post
Hi All,

For those who have de-badged, did you guys have a residual 'shadowing' leftover on the truck? I want to de-badge my taco and was wondering what the chances are that I will see 'shadowing' of the old emblems.
When I replaced one of mine a while back I didnt have a problem on my 06
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
makeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedmakeshiftTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
makeshiftTaco's Tacoma Gallery
had no problem with shadowing when I removed them from my tailgate a few months ago
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
No shadowing debadging a white 08 in late summer of 2011.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I debadged mine 12 years later and only have one "shadow" spot.

The SR5 badge on the passenger side behind the rear glass. But you literally have to be about 2 inches away at a certain angle to see it.

And I have the dark red paint (Sunfire Red Pearl)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
^^ this I can see the sr5 shadow outline if i look at it at a different angle, if im just looking straight on, cannot tell.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
I intitially had some minor shadowing on my 2000 but it went away and today you'd never know there were ever any badges or TRD emblems on my truck.

Polishing certainly helps.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Now not worried about any shadowing when I finally get to de-badging my taco.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^PM me if you have any issues and maybe I can help you out with the polishing (I head up your way now and then).
Old 02-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a little (certain light and angle), this on a super white '08 that was done in November. Not really a shadow, just pristine paint under the badges. A clay bar, and good coat of wax done the trick. BTW, I had the same thing under my cheap-assed stick on window vents before swapping to in channel units.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
I just debadged my 07 Radiant Red. Had a little shadowing that you could see from a little bit away, hit it with a clay bar and a little polish/wax and now you have to be right on it to see it. Gonna do a full polish on the truck and it should be gone. I love 30lb fishingline and googone.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
DOUBLE D is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Veteran
Name: Daniel
DOUBLE D's Tacoma Gallery

My buddy de-badged his after two years and used this to clean it and no shadow at all
Old 02-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
i debadged my 99 taco, in late 2011. let me tell you about that shadowing. used some rubbing compound on entire tailgate on a buffing wheel and it evened it out. now a few months later, its hardly noticable.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
I debadged my 05' last year and had no shadowing. I used WD40 to remove the left over sticky stuff.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
I debadged my 98 a couple of months ago and the shadow is still there. I think it looks pretty rad for the time being though. Eventually I will fix it and put a pretty decal of sorts on the back. Thinking sock monkey.
Sounds like rubbing compound is the way to go..
Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #16
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
I debadged my '01 a few months ago. The tailgate came out ok with minimal shadow. But where the door badges were was so noticeable i just ended up painting them black and putting them back on. lol your truck is much newer though so i'm sure you won't have any problems.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hats009 View Post
I debadged my 98 a couple of months ago and the shadow is still there. I think it looks pretty rad for the time being though. Eventually I will fix it and put a pretty decal of sorts on the back. Thinking sock monkey.
Sounds like rubbing compound is the way to go..
Rubbing compound is bad stuff. Choose a high-quality micro-polish.

Meguiar's M205 is probably the easiest to find, easiest to work with and least expensive option out there.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
Geo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeo Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
Geo Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think it also depends on the color of truck and weather whether or not you can see the shadowing. I have a 2011 received may 28, debadged in Oct. and there were lots of shadows. I have Black Sand Pearl and live in TX. I think the foam tape on the badges got really cooked last summer.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #19
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
i just debadged my tailgate, no shadowing and looks much cleaner
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
The Polar Bear
Devux is on a distinguished road

Name: Devin
Devux's Tacoma Gallery
Just de-badged yesterday (truck is 9 months old) and I have some tips:
~An extra set of hands to keep the blowdryer running helps.
~Use goo-gone gel, not the liquid. The liquid runs all over the place.
~Spray goo-gone gel on the sticky residue while it is still warm.
After I was done I had a distinct shadow where each badge was. So after a good wash and dry I went over the de-badged areas with some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and you would never know there were badges there.