Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Window cleaning 'tween the shell and cab.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Window cleaning 'tween the shell and cab.

Since I put the shell on the truck, I can't really access the truck's rear cab window and the adjoining window on the shell.

It's got a layer of grime and haze.

How do you guys get in there to clean this?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Will a squeegee fit?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Have a camper on mine... The easiest way I found (though it's not terribly convenient) is to disconnect it from the truck, then slide it away from the cab. I got into the bed, laid on my back, then used my legs to lift the camper a few inches and move it about a foot. Cleaning was much easier then.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
The front window on my shell folds down to the inside of the bed for cleaning.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
Have a camper on mine... The easiest way I found (though it's not terribly convenient) is to disconnect it from the truck, then slide it away from the cab. I got into the bed, laid on my back, then used my legs to lift the camper a few inches and move it about a foot. Cleaning was much easier then.

Good luck.
Yeah no easy way...I use to have to do this on my 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoCo View Post
The front window on my shell folds down to the inside of the bed for cleaning.
Yep I was so glad when they started doing this in shells, my A.R.E. was a snap to clean the window. Great option.

The dowel trick might work but its easy to ding something in there.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
smokey28723 is on a distinguished road
smokey28723's Tacoma Gallery
Does your shell have a sliding glass window that you can open and access the glass that way? My old shell didn't have one so I used a long handled ice scraper. The angle on the scraper helped hold pressure on the cleaning rag.

When I got my A.R.E. camper for my 08, I got the fold down window option. It is really nice!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Does your truck have a sliding rear window? Can you use that to access the side windows?

I'd probably give the dowel thing a shot, but if that didn't work well, then I'd slide the shell back to do it really well.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Squirrel Mincer
1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about
1-3-2-4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1-3-2-4
Oof, no access. Sounds tough. My new cap (A.R.E. CX) has a folding window. Sure glad I got it.

I know a guy who was in your situation, and he found some sort of long slender brush/sponge. Might have to dig around for this...
Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
OK, this give me some ideas. The only window that slides is the truck's rear widow.

Thanks all. Never thought of this when I bought the shell. I thought it would always stay clean and my life would improve, I'd get more chicks, and become a multi-millionare.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
Squirrel Mincer
1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about1-3-2-4 has a spectacular aura about
1-3-2-4's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 1-3-2-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
OK, this give me some ideas. The only window that slides is the truck's rear widow.

Thanks all. Never thought of this when I bought the shell. I thought it would always stay clean and my life would improve, I'd get more chicks, and become a multi-millionare.
Wait, you're cap didn't get you any more chicks? I've been hosed...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #12
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Since I put the shell on the truck, I can't really access the truck's rear cab window and the adjoining window on the shell.

It's got a layer of grime and haze.

How do you guys get in there to clean this?
When I ordered my ARE MX I didn't listen to the man and get the fold down slider thinking I could get my hands in there to clean. WRONG! Shell ended up needing some warranty work so while they had it I had a fold down installed. Cost me lots more$$$$$$ than if I had ordered it originally.
Lifes lessons still being learned still at 55 years old.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
maybe you can hit an industrial supply place like Graingers and get some of the window cleaner used on buildings with inaccessible glass. Supposed to be able to just spray it on and let it run off.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
It's called a Tweener

My new topper has fold down glass, but on my last truck I used this thing called a Tweener. Its basically a sponge on the end of a long flexible plastic handle. I bought it a topper store in colorado called escargo (at leat I think that was the name of the store).
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-3-2-4 View Post
Wait, you're cap didn't get you any more chicks? I've been hosed...

It did get me more chix not directly, but cause it gave me extra confidence to pursue the score in the truck bed, idea!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
LEEP is on a distinguished road
Name: LEE
LEEP's Tacoma Gallery
My cap dealer sells a plastic handle with a sponge attached to it just for this type of cleaning