Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing pinstripe/stickers/decals

Old 02-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
keebie25 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
keebie25's Tacoma Gallery
Removing pinstripe/stickers/decals

I bought a black 95.5 Tacoma and I'd like to black it out. The truck has the original pinstripe/stickers/decals on the side and back and I was wondering if there is any good way to remove them. Will there be any sun fading issue? Any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing pinstripe/stickers/decals-pside.jpg  
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
I would use a hair dryer and some fishing line. Make sure to slightly pull the line towards you so that you don't mess up the paint on the truck.

I also used Goof Off to get rid of the leftover adhesives, that was left on the truck. I tried to get as little of it on the paint as possible.. I had some fading, but after polishing the spots where the emblems used to be for several minutes the paint looked good as new.

Edit- I don't really have any sound advice on removing the pin stripe without possibly damaging the paint.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Taco Samurai
Royce99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Royce
Royce99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
I would use a hair dryer and some fishing line. Make sure to slightly pull the line towards you so that you don't mess up the paint on the truck.

I also used Goof Off to get rid of the leftover adhesives, that was left on the truck. I tried to get as little of it on the paint as possible.. I had some fading, but after polishing the spots where the emblems used to be for several minutes the paint looked good as new.

Edit- I don't really have any sound advice on removing the pin stripe without possibly damaging the paint.
This is exactly what I did and it came out perfect.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
scotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shedscotrinaf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scotrinaf's Tacoma Gallery
I found some decal remover at Advance Auto Parts that worked wonderfully, just don't get it in your eyes, I learned the hard way to wear safety glasses...

I used it to remove a ton of decals off a van I purchased...
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
tagging shit all over the net since 2001
trktwo is on a distinguished road

Army: Medic/xray tech
Name: tommy
trktwo's Tacoma Gallery
on my tundra that i just traded in for my taco '12 tss. i just peeled the decals with my fingernails. then cleaned with wd40/goo-gone. it took me a while, but came out great. you aren't going to hurt the finish with your fingernails. do it on a sunny day when decals are less brittle.

i just went outside and peeled off one side of my tss decals. easy money
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
3M decal wheel remover

http://compare.ebay.com/like/2509826..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

That works great for emblems but the OP is wanting to remove decals and pinstriping. In the past I have used a hair dryer or heat gun and a plastic scraper but you have to be careful especially if you use a heat gun. WD40 works good as a residue remover as well as goo gone.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Goo Gone and a soft rag.
I try not to use a scraper harder than my thumb nail.

Be sure to wash area right afterward with car soap and water. Apply Wax soon after too as goo gone removes all wax.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a quick( with a small amount of elbow grease) use gas. Yes I said GAS. It doesn't hurt the clear oat at all and it gets the most stubborn things off the paint. I would wash and apply wax after though