1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something on my glass that won't come off

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Juggernaut, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Thanks, I bought it new. Was just shocked at how easily it scratched. I have gotten bird shit of the paint the same way with no scratches. Oh well.

2. Feb 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Vinegar works but it is acidic, so don't get it on anything but the glass and you should wear rubber gloves. It will eat the paint, allbeit slowly.

I use polish to get hard water stains off glass and paint.

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    I'll try some vinegar water, but I doubt that will be strong enough. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to get some polish and try that too. Thanks for everyone's help, especially the steel wool, I'm so happy my windshield is truly clean again.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    If you ever make it down to OC I can hit it with some polish and a rotary buffer.

5. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    dbudny

dbudny Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Bed Mat, Bed Extender
    Car clay works great!

6. Feb 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    windowtinter

windowtinter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Just bought
    www.spot-x.com

7. Feb 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    ive used stoner glass cleaner and a piece of 0000 steel wool, worked like a charm and had my windows lookin nice in no time

Is this smudge stuff on the inside or out? cause i occasionally get a little streak or something @ the bottom of the windshield near the defrost vents (which make me think its condensation) but it usually wipes away pretty easy

8. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    ^I fixed the clear coat problem... but willing to take suggestions for the hard water problem I have.

9. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    For washing your truck? You could buy a reverse osmosis filter, use distilled water, buffing/waxing the water spots out, drying it with a micro-fiber towel, or do like I do and keep it wet until your done and take it for a drive on the nearest high way 60mph for about 10 minutes and my truck is pretty dry.

10. Feb 16, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    ^ Hard water spots are from parking on the street from a rogue city of Sacramento sprinkler, not washing the car.... 000 Steel wool will not remove it and stoners glass cleaner will not remove it. I haven't tried polish yet, but that's next. It's on the paint and glass.

11. Feb 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    brokeincollege

brokeincollege 1<3

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 DC/LB TRD Sport
    My brand new truck came with water spot on the side mirrors and windows. No cleaner or vinegar can get it out. . Now I can vouch for 0000 steel wool, I was skeptical at first to take steel wool to it but after 5 minutes. My side mirror is so shinny and water spot free compare to the other mirror.

12. Feb 17, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    windowtinter

windowtinter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Just bought
    Spot x is the best thing out for your glass,takes some elbow grease but it works wonders

13. Feb 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    brokeincollege

brokeincollege 1<3

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 DC/LB TRD Sport
    this may be a stupid question since I already seen good results on the outside but is steel wool safe for the inside of the windshield too?

14. Feb 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    windowtinter

windowtinter Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Just bought
    You can use 0000 with no problem

15. Nov 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Anybody know who sells this stuff? I read on here Home Depo but they no longer carry it. :confused:

16. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

:facepalm:

NO!

NO!

NO!

NO!

Those statement's are 100% false. No detail-er worth their weight would ever use steel on glass. It's plain tarded.

so again

NO!

NO!

Tempered glass on side windows. Front window is 1/8" annealed bent glass - .030 PVB interlayer - 1/8" annealed bent glass.

Annealed glass is super easy to shatter and so is tempered on the edge.

Do not use steel wool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See here for how to correctly clean windows
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/de...s-stains-scratched-glass-etc.html#post5602651

and all the people who have no idea what they are talking about see here about steel wool http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/106712-tired-seeing-00-steel-wool-listed-safe-way-clean-glass-our-members.html#post2034997

you just put millions of scratches in your glass and it will now stain much easier. Never listen to people on forums without doing your own research. The people above just had you damage your glass.

See above links for how to properly clean a window and seal it when you are done. Then see the other link so you know what damage you just did to your glass.

Clay will get into the glass clevises and haze up over time. Not a horrible idea, but also not a great one.

Steel wool is horrible

use the professional cleaner I have listed above then seal your windows when you are done.

again never use steel wool on a window

yea, well wait a few years. now you just put millions of scratches on it and it will stain again, but now even worse.

I reccomend sealing it before more junk gets adhered to the scratches.

NO. Steel wool is not safe for ANY GLASS.

coming from a "window tinter" I'm not only amazed, but feel bad for your customers. see my links above....

Sorry for the asshole responses, but someone who knows better linked me this thread so I could put an end to the ghetto glass cleaning going on in here. This sort of advise is seen almost monthly in TW and anyone who says steel wool is safe should stay far away from glass.

I have worked for Alcoa selling glass and metal from age 18-25. I then worked for Oldcastle Glass selling glass from 25-28. From 28 - 34 I have been selling glass as a union subcontractor in the Philadelphia industrial/commercial market. I am also a third generation glass man and have been working with glass since I was walking in diapers. After selling millions of dollars of glass for the largest aluminum company in the world, and the largest glass company in North America I can easily say I know I am 100% correct. Some people in here may go online and find some bullshit saying it's OK to use steel on glass, but that info is false. The Glass Association of North America says not to use any kind of steel on glass period. They are the foremost authority on the subject.

17. Nov 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    no need to be sorry, misinformation getting passed around like it is the gospel is not good and does need to end..

18. Nov 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  19. Nov 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut [OP] Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    Well I haven't seen any negative side effects yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

20. Nov 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

You wouldn't "see" them unless you looked under a microscope or have superman powaz :D

You should seal your glass. If it is having stains that are as difficult as you explained the surface is worn down and in need of some help. The link I provided has the best stuff I have found at great prices.

Glass is not flat. It has many peaks and valleys. Here is a typical picture the sealing company's use to promote their products

[​IMG]

The best glass companies now sell a hard coat version of "sealed" glass to the public for architectural uses and shower doors. It has yet to enter the automotive industry as far as I know. See here for "hard coated sealed glass" http://na.en.showerguardglass.com/superior-glass/how-it-works/index.htm

Products Discussed in

To Top