Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Help with stubborn rust! (I hate road salt)

Old 02-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
Help with stubborn rust! (I hate road salt)

If you live in WV, you know how much they love to salt the roads..
Anyways..

I got my sliders put on before the winter, I threw on a coat of primer and two coats of flat black, it was too cold for me to find time to do more as it took the paint so long to dry, and between coats I'd have to go over and clean everything up again.

Now the weather is decent and I have some more free time I decided to go under and check out everything, and to my dismay it's rusted.. bad.

I just hit it a wire brush and it didn't do shit. I sprayed it with WD-40 and hit it again and it didn't do shit. Steel wool ain't doing shit. The rust is pretty bad and I have no idea how I'm going to get all of it off so I can get some good coats of paint on it.

How do you get rid of stubborn rust somewhat easily, and cheaply (under $50) I don't care to spend a couple hours on each side, I just know if I use what I got now it'll take 6+ hours a side.

Oh, and search didn't help me find a good thread.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Any sandblasters in your area?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Usually a wire brush and sand paper work for me... Maybe an angle grinder with a wire wheel will speed up the process for you.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Any sandblasters in your area?
never thought of that, I'll look into it
Old 02-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
we haven't had any salt this year! lol
Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
we haven't had any salt this year! lol
I saw a truck salting the roads last week before it was even snowing.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
How about spraying with that shit that turns rust back to metal and is primer all in one?......after the grinder/wire wheel action.

This kinda stuff.....

http://www.corroseal.com/
http://www.mrochem.com/BlackStar-Rus...FWZjTAodEmcpSg
http://www.questchemicalcorp.com/Pro...ail.cfm?ID=233

There are aerosol spray can versions too.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHoQ8wIwAA#

http://www.amazon.com/Kleanstrip-ERC.../dp/B002BG0QHI

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=SPM213924717