1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Professional detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by rhowell, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    rhowell

rhowell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    Is it worth the money to have a shop detail a vehicle. I have a 05 odyssey that has hauled my two little ones for the last 7 years. The inside could use some love. I do the best I can but am just wondering if a shop can do a better job.

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
    for the inside of your vehicle, yes a professional shop can do wonders. (if) they have a steam cleaner, it will take out almost any stain. for the outside, you can detail yourself for cheaper and probably better depending on where you go.

3. Mar 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Depends how bad the interior is. Lots of stains or just lots of dust/dirt?

Agree with the previous poster that you should just do the outside yourself. It can be labor intensive, but in the long run you can save a hell of a lot of money. Buy some good quality wax and have at it. If you're really picky, claybar, polish, wax, and seal. :cool:

4. Mar 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Bring it to a reputable shop. They will work on it all day and it will come back as new. I also have the cheerio collecting Odyssey.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM
    FFTOKNTACO

FFTOKNTACO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco S-Runner SR5
    If you have good sunny day or day in the garage. It should take to long depending on the condition to just DIY. I used to detail at a shop and free lance so i do know a little. But, it may take a whole day and there are some good cleaning supply to buy that would save you a heck of a lot more $$$$ than going to a "Pro" shop. Just got do a little research

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    ya exterior is easy. the interior can be easy also, if you have the time. all it takes is vacuuming, then steam cleaning, then wiping down the surfaces with something like armor-all

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    FFTOKNTACO

FFTOKNTACO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco S-Runner SR5
    Armor-all does make things shine, but after a while it turn into this white film over every thing if left in direct sunlight

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    jprovence

jprovence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Albany
    Vehicle:
    11' Tacoma TRD
    Stock
    I definitely agree, get a steam cleaner. You can clean almost the entire car with a good steamer. Also, I have had great luck with a little simple green and a scrub brush for stubborn stains as well. Also, its good to clean really dirty hard plastic in a diluted solution. Use compressed air to blow dust out of the vents and other small crevices. Pull out what you can as far as the interior. Seats and such. Be prepared to spend a day on it taking your time. I'v cleaned many cars for friends and semi-professionally as well.

Mr Clean Magic Eraser also works wonders on hard plastic surfaces like door sills. Don't bother with Armor-All. Finish with something like Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. It will not leave a greasy film that would attract dust.

9. Mar 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Buy this carpet cleaner called spot shot. Super legit better than resolve. But make sure you ventilate.

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    jeebee808

jeebee808 Member

Member:
  11. Mar 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    m21knight

m21knight Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central Vermont
    Vehicle:
    12' TRD Sport DC
    Hardwired Radar Detector Mod,
    Most people don't realize that the two front bucket seats are usually pretty easy to remove, making the vacuum/steam cleaning much eaiser...some detaling shops do this on a fairly regular basis.

Products Discussed in

To Top