1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New factory paint question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Executive, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Executive

Executive [OP] Conservative

Member:
    Peabody, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Hello and thanks for all the valuable advice I have learned from this forum. Last Friday I picked up my new 2012 DCLB TRD Sport. I am very happy with the truck and expect many years of service (and an upgrade in quality and mileage from my 2011 Chevy 2500HD CC, but that's a story for another time).

Anyway, I am very fussy about my auto care and was wondering if the old adage about letting paint "cure" for some time before waxing is true with the Toyota finish. My Tacoma was build in January 2012 according to the door nameplate and I do not want to do anything to harm the nice silver paint, which I have read is sometimes "fragile". I can't wait to completely remove the shipping filth with clay bar and start a nice coat of wax on a new smooth surface.

Any advice from the Tacoma detail experts would be great.

Regards,
    Chris

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    Gooch

Gooch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I've been told that factory paint is baked and needs no curing. Even if it did, a January 2012 manufacturing date would have allowed plenty of time to let it cure.

Body shops typically tell you to wait a month or so before waxing after they paint as it may block solvent outgassing and cause 'die-back', which clouds the finish.

Have at it with the clay and wax!

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    It's more than ready for you to wax/polish/etc... Just be careful around the edges, as Toyota's actually don't use much clear on them, and burning through the clear can happen faster than you think (if polishing with power-buffer)

4. Mar 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Honestly, I think it would be more harmful to just leave the shipping filth on the paint.

FWIW, my roof was repainted due to bad acid rain damage from sitting on the dealership's lot. A month later, I went right on ahead and clay barred, polished, waxed, and sealed the new paint. Doing that caused no damage to my paint and I should know, since black paint is by far the most difficult to take care of and shows imperfections well. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top