Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit Review.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit Review.

Alright so I picked up some headlights off of here from PinkTaco24, They had some Haze when I bought them of of her so I thought I would do a review on the Meguiar's Headlight Restoration kit and give it a go.

Here they are when I opened the package.

Here they are after being prepped. About to start.

After wet sanding with 1000 grit from left to right for a while and then sanding with 3000 grit up and down for a while.

After using the polishing pad with just a regular cordless drill and PlastX

Before

After

Pretty impressed!

I followed the directions step by step and didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Now just have to see how they hold up and if they ever revert
back, The only problem that I encountered is that right by the turn signals it still seemed hazy but other than that it worked great!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
SoCalPoolman is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
SoCalPoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Meguiars worked great

[/IMG]I just used this product on my 07. It was very easy and with great results. Took about an hour of not so hard work. I didn't add a clearcoat this time i want to see how long it lasts on its own. I will repost as time goes on with progress
Take the extra 5minutes to remove painted parts. Well worth it!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
jprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to all
Navy: Honorably Discharged
Name: Joshua
jprovence's Tacoma Gallery
How long it last depends on how much sun you get. Cali and Texas where you guys are out, yeah you will be lucky to get another year out of them without a lot of upkeep on the wax. Once its been sanded, you loose the UV inhibitor layer (which gets damaged by the sun anyways...) and the polycarbonate deteriorates faster.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I just strait polish mine. no sanding. Mine were pretty hazy, probably a little worse than the first (more yellow),and I don't mean to put down the meguires, but I think mine turned out better. I just used alot of elbow grease and blue magic headlight polish.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
I just strait polish mine. no sanding. Mine were pretty hazy, probably a little worse than the first (more yellow),and I don't mean to put down the meguires, but I think mine turned out better. I just used alot of elbow grease and blue magic headlight polish.
If you think it is better than post up a review on "blue magic" so people can compare the results. There is nothing wrong with comparing products to see which one is better, but in my case the Meguires did its job.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
2,000 grit sandpaper + a good polish will yield the same if not better results. Just giving you a heads up as it's much cheaper to buy separately

Look into applying thinned clear urethane varnish for floors - it keeps the haze from coming back.