Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Opti-Coat 2.0 - Never wax your truck again

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=1C271;5156696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post

1C - You got any references proving it's "complete shite"? I referenced a site for you with lots of industry professionals buzzing about this product. They have used just about everything worth trying and are very excited about OC2. Removal has to be mechanical (buffed) off, but using 600 grit on any finished surface is ridiculous. You would need to use a good compound and foam pad to remove it. Perhaps a little more research would go a long way.

Yeah my reference is my ASE master certification in collision repair and finish, good enough? Let me expand, that little tube is more than enough for a whole car right?? And it is supposedly 2 microns thick right?? Well to compare, an average factory clear is about 2.5 mils thick or about 63 microns, repeat 63 microns and your expert info you referenced says that "Opti-Coat 2.0" is more scratch resistant than a polyurethane clear coat?? Come on dude, think about it. It's common sense. And if it was some super duper new fandangled chemical concoction better than your modern clear coat, wouldn't manufacturers be coating every new car with this instead of polyurethane?? Wheels starting to turn for anybody????

Not trying to bash here, just trying to educate so people don't waste their money. As for having to be removed with compound, more like a couple car washes. It's a glorified concentrated wax, nothing more. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I'm sure everyone has heard "If it's too good to be true...........probably isn't"

And no, sanding with 600 or 400 in preparation to apply additional coats of clear is actually pretty standard procedure, you might not of understood what I was saying but anyway.

Opti-Coat = Snake Oil
LOL I'm sure you are. You're entitled to your own opinion, but lets be clear it's only an opinion.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=1C271;5156696]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post

1C - You got any references proving it's "complete shite"? I referenced a site for you with lots of industry professionals buzzing about this product. They have used just about everything worth trying and are very excited about OC2. Removal has to be mechanical (buffed) off, but using 600 grit on any finished surface is ridiculous. You would need to use a good compound and foam pad to remove it. Perhaps a little more research would go a long way.

Yeah my reference is my ASE master certification in collision repair and finish, good enough? Let me expand, that little tube is more than enough for a whole car right?? And it is supposedly 2 microns thick right?? Well to compare, an average factory clear is about 2.5 mils thick or about 63 microns, repeat 63 microns and your expert info you referenced says that "Opti-Coat 2.0" is more scratch resistant than a polyurethane clear coat?? Come on dude, think about it. It's common sense. And if it was some super duper new fandangled chemical concoction better than your modern clear coat, wouldn't manufacturers be coating every new car with this instead of polyurethane?? Wheels starting to turn for anybody????

Not trying to bash here, just trying to educate so people don't waste their money. As for having to be removed with compound, more like a couple car washes. It's a glorified concentrated wax, nothing more. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but I'm sure everyone has heard "If it's too good to be true...........probably isn't"

And no, sanding with 600 or 400 in preparation to apply additional coats of clear is actually pretty standard procedure, you might not of understood what I was saying but anyway.

Opti-Coat = Snake Oil
I'm not saying your right or wrong because I'm not a detailer but I will say this... just because something is a LOT better than what industry standard is, doesn't mean the car manufacturers are going to jump on it. That assumes that the car industry will use the best products available when in reality they don't. Taking the Tacoma as an example, they screwed up leaf springs LEAF SPRINGS! They've been around for years and they couldn't get it right so what makes you think that they'd use a better clear coat than what they're currently using just because one is available?

A lot of aftermarket parts are much better than OEM. You have a persuasive arguement otherwise but that one statement is where it fell apart.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #43
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Can you not read? It's not an opinion it's a FACT! Just like it's a FACT you are misleading people by taking some 2 bit internet company's word about their product for the end all of truth and spreading it like the gospel.

Sorry but you know nothing about automotive finish, that's obvious since you didn't even try to rebuttal my previous response.

This is simply for everyone's sake who reads this thread that I am saying all this, I hate people getting ripped off by these fly by night jackholes who come up with a great marketing routine to sell wax or sealant that supposedly lasts forever.

Don't waste your money on this stuff!!!

If anyone wants to ask someone who is actually ASE master certified in automotive refinishing about this stuff PM me and I will set you straight.

End of story
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #44
1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of1C271 has much to be proud of
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Pugga;5157730]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C271 View Post

I'm not saying your right or wrong because I'm not a detailer but I will say this... just because something is a LOT better than what industry standard is, doesn't mean the car manufacturers are going to jump on it. That assumes that the car industry will use the best products available when in reality they don't. Taking the Tacoma as an example, they screwed up leaf springs LEAF SPRINGS! They've been around for years and they couldn't get it right so what makes you think that they'd use a better clear coat than what they're currently using just because one is available?

A lot of aftermarket parts are much better than OEM. You have a persuasive arguement otherwise but that one statement is where it fell apart.

Well at least someone is listening, but argument does not fall apart
Yes, there can be new technology that comes along better than current. But ask yourself this....if this stuff is tougher and more durable than clear coat as described by their website, and it was a new technology that could replace current polyurethane, WHY are they selling it in the market segment they are? Wouldn't you be going to PPG or BASF ???? You have a valid point but do you realize the amount of highly skilled chemists they have working at places like this? And you really think that the next big thing is from these guys? Just Sayin....possible yes...probable NO
Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #45
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C271 View Post
Can you not read? It's not an opinion it's a FACT! Just like it's a FACT you are misleading people by taking some 2 bit internet company's word about their product for the end all of truth and spreading it like the gospel.

Sorry but you know nothing about automotive finish, that's obvious since you didn't even try to rebuttal my previous response.

This is simply for everyone's sake who reads this thread that I am saying all this, I hate people getting ripped off by these fly by night jackholes who come up with a great marketing routine to sell wax or sealant that supposedly lasts forever.

Don't waste your money on this stuff!!!

If anyone wants to ask someone who is actually ASE master certified in automotive refinishing about this stuff PM me and I will set you straight.

End of story
Naw bro, I just don't feel like internet arguing. I'm trying my best to respond to this stuff in between meetings and emails, but your attempt at trying to pass your opinion off as fact is laughable. I am not trying to sell anyone OC2.0. I don't own stock, don't gain anything by doing so. I'm just sharing my experience and feedback with the rest of the forum, which is what forums are for. You want to argue details, take it up with the scientists that formulated OC2.0 and you'll find out they're not new to the industry nor are they "just anybody's" in the car care products world. Your post implies that you are onto something they missed or are purposely trying to pass off as a fake. They would run circles around your OPINIONS.

Go argue on this thread if you want someone to "debunk" your arguments: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html
Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
flatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Rob
flatfeet's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, go take your argument elsewhere, and don't you have something better to do than bash an info only thread? Go polish your truck for goodness sake!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #47
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand the hostility.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #48
flatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Rob
flatfeet's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, didn't intend on sounding hostile, It's not my intention. Just seems like every time someone takes the time to share their expirence with a product, someone else comes along and tries to be the know it all myth buster. It's all in good faith. Info is shared, arguments and rebuttals are offered should be heard. But to go on in circles makes no sense! Cheers dudes!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #49
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
i cant even fucking believe i just read this whole thread for it to turn into this! Hey 1C271, i dont know how u are used to acting or talking to people on your other forums but we dont like or put up with dueche bags, who only join sites to argue about meaningless points, here on TW! I would strongly recommend calming down and talking to people with a little more respect because all it takes is a few folks, just in this thread, to report u and u will be enjoying degrading other people in a different forum! Thank u sir!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #50
Air Force:
1C271's Tacoma Gallery
Just trying to keep people from getting ripped off, only hostility is towards snake oil salesman like these opti coat guys taking advantage of people who don't know any better that's all. Just sharing actual facts and expertise not opinion.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #51
HonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHonoluluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Got out quite awhile ago
Name: Koi
HonoluluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hows it Dave, you tried Vitreo yet?
Hawaiian Island Auto Detailing is charging $225 to put it on. I found a quart for $14.95.
Anybody heard of this product, it's sounds similar to the rest, here's the description off Hawaiian Auto Detailing site;
(The latest in polymeric technology to bring you the most advanced surface coating on the market today. Protecting surfaces from damaging UV rays of the sun, acid rain and other air and water borne contaminants. At least three times the last of any cleaner wax.)
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #53
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Hey OP,

Noted the pros and cons people are making on this stuff, but it still sounds awesome to me. I had a couple of questions:
1. Do you think a clay bar and wash is sufficient for step #1 (polish paint to remove any defects)? I would still be doing the Eraser solution after step #1, FYI...
2. My truck has some fine scratches from wheeling. Would you recommend getting these buffed out prior to starting all this?

Thanks again, OP.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #54
fishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedfishntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
fishntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
Hey OP,

Noted the pros and cons people are making on this stuff, but it still sounds awesome to me. I had a couple of questions:
1. Do you think a clay bar and wash is sufficient for step #1 (polish paint to remove any defects)? I would still be doing the Eraser solution after step #1, FYI...
2. My truck has some fine scratches from wheeling. Would you recommend getting these buffed out prior to starting all this?

Thanks again, OP.
You need to remove all defects possible. This is a permanent coating and can only be removed by polishing. Any defects left in the paint will remain there unless the coating is removed and the defects are polished out.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #55
Cpt. Bubbleguts

^^^^^ Correct.

Penguins, you'll want to make sure to have the scratches machine polished out before you apply the OC2.0. Make sure to apply it when the weather is dry and cool and take your time, making sure to get even and complete coverage. Any high spots should be buffed out with a microfiber cloth shortly after application on each panel. High spots will look like excess wax and have a slightly iridescent glimmer to them.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #56
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
I don't understand the hostility.
Hate to go off track but I like the MPG your getting; gives me something to look forward to. I just purchased my 2012 v6. Thanks for posting it.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #60
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Impressive!

Products Discussed in this Thread