Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Opti-Coat 2.0 - Never wax your truck again

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #61
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
S7ICKlVlAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
Hell yeah! And u havent waxed it since tha first time!? How often have u washed it?
First month.....maybe every weekend. Since then, every 3-4 weeks. LOL been busy.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #62
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian

Interesting stuff. Sounds like the kinda stuff I'd only put on a brand new car, since you want all the scratches gone. I've always done my own detailing, but down here in Sacramento, the UV index is through the roof and my hood generally stops beading within a month or two. Been doing everything by hand the last couple years to slowly work away the swirl marks that my buffer left. I'm going to watch your updates for awhile, I agree that it sounds a little snake oil'ish and IMO putting something down thats harder than the clearcoat makes no sense, but the ultimate trial would be down here in this heat that we have. I'm also concerned thinking about scratches. You say its more scratch resistant, but nothing is immune. So if I scratch up my truck on the trail with this stuff, I'm still gonna have to buff it out, and this stuff would take alot more effort to clean up.

So in a practical application for someone who WILL scratch their truck on the trail, what do you think?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #63
Cpt. Bubbleguts
S7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedS7ICKlVlAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

Interesting stuff. Sounds like the kinda stuff I'd only put on a brand new car, since you want all the scratches gone. I've always done my own detailing, but down here in Sacramento, the UV index is through the roof and my hood generally stops beading within a month or two. Been doing everything by hand the last couple years to slowly work away the swirl marks that my buffer left. I'm going to watch your updates for awhile, I agree that it sounds a little snake oil'ish and IMO putting something down thats harder than the clearcoat makes no sense, but the ultimate trial would be down here in this heat that we have. I'm also concerned thinking about scratches. You say its more scratch resistant, but nothing is immune. So if I scratch up my truck on the trail with this stuff, I'm still gonna have to buff it out, and this stuff would take alot more effort to clean up.

So in a practical application for someone who WILL scratch their truck on the trail, what do you think?
Good point you bring up bro. Honestly, couldn't tell you how to best address that scenario. The guys at Optimum would be the ones to ask. All I know is that there is/was some very promising preliminary work done on and with this product and so far.....I'm elated with the results. Worse case scenario I gotta mechnically remove the OC. Best case scenario....it works even half as long as it's marketed to and I'm saving money and time. I'll be back in this thread to post pics as time goes on. I'm just as curious to see how it works out. I got my Vette's, and Viper that are still sitting in my garage untreated.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #64
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
First month.....maybe every weekend. Since then, every 3-4 weeks. LOL been busy.
Washing or waxing every 3 to 4 weeks?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #65
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ICKlVlAN View Post
4 month update: OC 2.0 still beading like day 1......pics were taken in the rain on my dirty truck.
See this is what I like.

Too often we get posts/threads about products and the raving reviews on day 1.... but never get follow ups from months/years down the line.

Thanks for this post.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #66
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Washing or waxing every 3 to 4 weeks?
Washing only.

The whole point of Opticoat is to eliminate the need to wax.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #67
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Washing only.

The whole point of Opticoat is to eliminate the need to wax.
That's what I was hoping. If that picture is after 4 months without waxing, that's pretty impressive.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #68
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That's what I was hoping. If that picture is after 4 months without waxing, that's pretty impressive.
thats very impressive!

Dave how do u store ur truck? Garage kept or driveway? Reason im wondering is if u keep it in the elements all the time and wash it a few times a week then that shit is REALLY impressive
Old 08-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #69
Cpt. Bubbleguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
thats very impressive!

Dave how do u store ur truck? Garage kept or driveway? Reason im wondering is if u keep it in the elements all the time and wash it a few times a week then that shit is REALLY impressive
My truck is parked in my driveway with zero covering. Lots of both rain & sun. Also daily driven. My garage kept cars rarely move. Infact, today was the first time in a year I drove my Z06.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #71
Cpt. Bubbleguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
................................................Iv e used em to clean the house before, but never to dry truck.

Also good around bonfires........maybe
What!!??!!? You've never used a lead blower to dry your ride? Been doing it for over a decade....maybe almost 2 come to think of it Give it a shot bro. 200mph minimum. Get a good coat of sealant/wax on and watch the water fly off the paint. No scratches since there is no physical contact.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #72
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Great shortcut with the leaf blower, I use it too. No more drips from the mirrors, get the water out of the lugnuts, and quickly dry out the bed, no more wringing out chamois, and no waterspots.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #73
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I use ONR and Opti Coat, 1 cap each using the two bucket method. I'm happy with it. I'm more concerned about the beading ability, than anything else. it does have a bit of depth, but not super deep. I use these products because it's easy. one carwash a month, and so far the paint looks good.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #74
Wynner is on a distinguished road
Wynner's Tacoma Gallery
So now almost year out, how are the results holding up?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #75
Six lugs of fury!
Performula is on a distinguished road
Name: Justinian the Gr3iht
Performula's Tacoma Gallery
AG says KSG lasts longer... Might not work on black however. And it's a pain to apply.

I mixed about 2-3oz of Klasse Sealant Glaze in Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax, let dry for an hour, seems to work fine. I wiped the whole truck down and the plastic looks almost new as well.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #76
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
There is also Wolfs chemicals nano hardbody that does work very well its not permanent, but does last a good amount of time, and its easy on and easy off, and you won't spend money to have someone else put it on....
Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #77
Mr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Sparkle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Mr. Sparkle's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow

Just to chime in here for some more info on the product.

There is Opti-Coat 2.0 and there is Opti-Coat Pro which also goes by the name Opti-Guard

Opti-Coat 2.0 is the retail version of the product. It is more user friendly, meaning during the application process you have more time to 'level' any high spots. The sacrifice is that it does not apply quite as thick as the professional version of the product. Also, although quite durable, it does lack a bit compared to the original formula as far as durability is concerned.

Opti-Coat Pro or Opti-Guard is the professional version of the product. It is not for sale to the public, and is only available through an authorized installer in your area. It lays on thicker, but you have less time during application to level any high spots. Any leftover 'high spots' or rainbows in the coating will later need to be polished if not corrected in short order. The benefit is a thicker coating, that is very durable

The cost of getting Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard applied by a detailer is that there is a ton of prep involved. The goal is to get the paint as close to perfect as possible prior to putting the coating on. So every micro scratch and water mark needs to be polished / compounded out. This is where it benefits to have a professional experienced in paint correction. Most guys doing this type of work are using halogen or LED lights specifically to replicate what direct sunlight looks like against your paint. Its a much bigger process than just a wash & wax on a saturday afternoon

Map of authorized Opti-Coat installers in case anyone is hunting around for someone local to them (search by zip in top right corner)

http://batchgeo.com/map/232199a337c8...9c28a4d3b9c6e7
Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #78
whiplash willy is on a distinguished road
whiplash willy's Tacoma Gallery
It is unfortunate that 1C271 is slamming this product without having any knowledge of it. No wounder real pro detailers are always fixing defects caused by body shop guys...

Anyways, I have used Opti-Coat on my last 2 vehicles, and it is amazing! I applied OC2.0 to my 2012 TDI golf, and the coating worked as well a year later, as it did the day I applied it. After a year, I had no scratches or swirls, and the water still beaded/repelled like crazy. Not only does it repel water, dirt, chemicals, it is harder then the factory clear, and it does offer protection against scratches and rock chips. And if you do get a scratch or a light chip, it is only the coating that is effected, and it can always be removed and reapplied.

I have seen longevity tests and Torture tests done on this product with various chemicals, and it has always held up. People who have had it for 4+ years, say it still beads like it did the first day.

After I sold my Golf, I decided I would never own another car without it. Claying, Compounding, Polishing, and Waxing twice a year, is a PITA. I love the low maintenance aspect of this product. Basically, all I need to to to keep my paint looking like new is hand wash it every week or so.

When I bought my 2013 4runner, I decided to let a pro apply the Opti-Guard, as I didn't have time to do it. Since my paint was pretty new, there wasn't much paint correction that needed to be done, which is the real expensive part of this application.

The Opti-Guard does have a really nice in-depth finish, when compared to the Opti-Coat. My detailer also coated all plastics, as well as my wheels, inside and outside.

Here are some pics of the 4runner after it was coated.

Also, the other day I got a flat, and while my wheel was off I decided to clean the inside of the 6000 miles of dirt and brake dust that had built up. Since it was coated, all it took was about 5 min, and a couple passes of Optimum APC and a wheel brush, and it looks like new:

Here is my thread on the 4runner forums.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...ed-runner.html

This stuff is the real deal. Anyone who wants to keep their paint looking good with very little maintenance owes it to themselves to check this stuff out. Don't let some ignorant person that thinks he knows what he is talking about dissuade you. I know some ASE Certified techs that still think we should be changing our synthetic oils at 3k....
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #79
uncrx2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Minh
uncrx2003's Tacoma Gallery
Getting it done tomorrow to the '13 Taco. A bit steep for a paint job but I think it'll be worth it. $450 for me. They are going to use Opti-Coat Pro instead of the 2.0
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #80
uncrx2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Minh
uncrx2003's Tacoma Gallery
Got the truck back today. It looks awesome.

Products Discussed in this Thread