Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing Emblems and Badges

Old 12-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #1
khardy is on a distinguished road
khardy's Tacoma Gallery
Removing Emblems and Badges

Hi All,

I have a new 2009 Tacoma and would like to remove the emblems and badges. Do they have any holes through the sheet metal for each badge or are they attached with glue? Also, what is the best way to remove them?

Thanks,

Keith
Old 12-25-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
First, heat the badge with a hair dryer set on high for a few minutes. Then run a piece of fishing line (I used 25lb test) between the badge and the glue using a sawing motion. Wear leather work gloves to avoid slicing up your fingers. Donít pull the badge off from one end; pull it straight off to avoid pressing the edge of the badge against the paint. Next, pull the thick glue off the paint by hand with the aid of your fingernails. Next, use Goo Gone to remove the small amount of remaining glue. Finally, wash and wax the section where the badge used to be.

Welcome to the forum!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
fishing line

I have debadged many a vech and fishing line works the best.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
khardy's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys! I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Try Goo Gone, it will NOT hurt the paint in the least.......let it work in from the top, and as you pry the emblem off, drip more goo gone behind it....it will lossen nicely and come off. I have not found any emblems on the Tacoma that were not attached with adhesive backing. Pretty much the same with all vehicles now as it does not required holes to be punched in body.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
seareef will become famous soon enough

seareef's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Try Goo Gone, it will NOT hurt the paint in the least.......let it work in from the top, and as you pry the emblem off, drip more goo gone behind it....it will lossen nicely and come off. I have not found any emblems on the Tacoma that were not attached with adhesive backing. Pretty much the same with all vehicles now as it does not required holes to be punched in body.
sorry to say i have been a bodyman for many years and thats the wrong way you never pry anything you can actually distort the panel doing it your way
fishing line works best. on some emblems you can use a new plastic bondo spreader
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
"Welp...see ya in the shit.."
SNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud of

Air Force: 134th ARW Boom Operator
SNWMN209's Tacoma Gallery
Hey seareef, the finish line you are talking about, can i get that at any auto parts store? Also, i am CRAZY scared that i will mess my truck up. Can anyone post steps on how to remove, paint then reapply them to the truck? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:43 PM   #9
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
yup the fishing line method is the best, I used some waxed dental floss on my truck, but i helped a friend of mine and he used fishing line, way easier...we used 20LB test
Old 10-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Use fishing line or dental floss to remove the badges. Then use goo gone to remove the 3M adhesive (will not hurt your paint job). I used Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner to clean the surface where the badges once were. Make sure to wax the hell out of the area you used goo gone and the Meguiars paint cleaner. The use Krylon Fusion Spray Paint for plastics in the color of your choice to paint your badges (3-4 coats should be good). Then use 3M double sided foam tape to re-apply (you can get it at Home Depot). Use a tape measurer to make sure you put the badges in the same place...I hope this helps. This is what I did but I didn't re-apply my badges

Edit: DAMN THESE OLD THREADS TO HELL!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #11

seareef's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNWMN209 View Post
Hey seareef, the finish line you are talking about, can i get that at any auto parts store? Also, i am CRAZY scared that i will mess my truck up. Can anyone post steps on how to remove, paint then reapply them to the truck? Thanks.
honestly I dont know what test everybody else uses
but yesterday i debadge a tacoma tail gate with fishing line Im not sure what test but I think 20 lb , dont go to the auto parts store go to wal mart or big five in there fishing section just buy a real small spool ( like 2.99 worth )
dont even worry about messing up the paint , heres a couple of pointers you can use a hair dyer on low heat and keep it moving so you dont blister anything like your paint and heat the emblem up just slightly if at all probally not even needed honestly .. what I did is I just stuck my tail gate in the sun for a half hour then everything csame off easy

another trick is hold the fishing line under the emblem and slightly saw back and forth pulling slightly from left to right , and when you are sawing back and forth keep the line up next to the emblem instead of your paint , then cant mess up the paint
then with your finger roll the extra thick glue back and forth till it gums up and comes off
then what you are left with is glue residue , you can use goo be gone like everybody uses , but honestly I love laq thinner being a bodyman and painter thats all we use , just did it as long as it oem paint I have done 100s and never had a problem , infact tar ,road paint bugs, etc laq thinner is king
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #12

seareef's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just keep in mind it goes emblem -2sided tape --paint job
keep the fishing string between the emblem and the tape and you cant hurt it
most likey it wouldnt even need a hair dryer even on a cold day

now your trd decal thats a hair dryer all the way
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
"Welp...see ya in the shit.."
SNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud ofSNWMN209 has much to be proud of

Air Force: 134th ARW Boom Operator
SNWMN209's Tacoma Gallery
Thx everyone. this helps alot. i know what im doing tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #15

seareef's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thx everyone. this helps alot. i know what im doing tomorrow!
awesome let us know how it goes
ps if theres any polishing that you need to do b/c there is still outlines of the emblems go to a auto paint store pep boys might have it , any way 3m perfect it rubbimg coumpound it the very best and its not that expensive for a bottle , follow that with a wax by meguirs or mothers carnuba wax is probally the best even though I use some bitchen syntheic products I really like I think its # 19 and # 20
ill post some pics here in a second of some products I use
Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #16

seareef's Tacoma Gallery
yep thats my taco , got my self into a little fender bender lol...
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Emblems and Badges-img_2022.jpg   Removing Emblems and Badges-img_2023.jpg  
Old 03-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #18
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here's a writeup I did when I blacked out my badges:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post587447

The only change I would make is to put the new tape on the back of the badges before painting them. That way you don't have the chance of damaging the new paint, and the exposed edge of the tape gets painted black and is less noticable.

Good luck, this is a very easy mod.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
09silvertaco is on a distinguished road
09silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
wash vehicle, heat badge w/hair dryer, saw through adhesive w/20-25 lb test fishing line pulling away from vehicle, remove excess adhesive w/finger and supplement w/goo gone if needed, wash area again, apply meguiars cleaner wax to panel, buff off, and then a supplementary coat of meguiars nxt 2.0 wax and buff off. i've done almost all of my vehicles this way and yielded great results even on dark colors.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #20
khardy's Tacoma Gallery
Hiya Folks,

Been a few years since I asked about removing the badges and emblems. I did use a heat gun and plastic putty knife to get the emblems off. Afterwards I used Goo gone and wax to remove any remnant glue.

Cheers!

Keith